Phishing attempt.....?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Seawolf1090, May 17, 2012.

1. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Just had a WEIRD phone call! Came on the Caller ID as "Unknown Caller" with no number, sounded like an Indian guy - thick accent - he spouted some BS about wanting to 'lead me through' checking for a virus on my PC. He knew my first name, but would not say who he was or who he worked for - <!--coloro:#CC0000--><!--/coloro-->MAJOR red flag! <!--colorc--><!--/colorc--> I told him I was NOT interested and hung up.

I'm thinking this was some phishing attempt, or trying to get my personal info. Be watching for this crap! He gave a vague story about some virus infecting XP, Win7 and another OS, but had no idea what I was running - so he likely isn't from my ISP company. Gave me the heebee jeebies, just felt wrong!

maddd

tulianr and jungatheart like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Tell him you're with the IRS.

3. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Missed opportunity to have some fun!

I LOVE when I get those calls! "No, really, John ~giggle~ what's your real name? You seem to know so much about me... and I know you're trying help... tell me about you! What's that company name again?..."

I can go on and on... never giving them any answers, just questions. They usually end up hanging up on me! ROTFL

Silversnake and ghrit like this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I tell them, I am a reTIRED FCC Field Agent, and a "Reverse Trace" is ongoing on this call. They usually split, before I get past "Reverse Trace"... I think the Classic, was Melbo and the Apartment Rental Guy.... He kept that Yahoo going for months.....

Brokor likes this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

That was awesome, lol seesaw

6. scrapman21009

scrapman21009 Chupacabra Hunter

Not tech related, but I had Sears home improvment call me about siding a few years ago at my previous address, I said I wanted gutters, siding and windows, talked to the guy for like 15 mins and when he finally set the time and day for the appointment I tell him how excited I am and ask if the manager from my apartment complex needed to be there too

....CLICK......

Guess he didn't want my business after all

7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I got one the other day too but it was from some Sortarican and he was about as organized with his spiel as a mango fart in a hurricane so it didn't go very far.

8. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I like the calls inquiring about what kind of security system I have installed. These are thieves wanting this info from you so that they use it for a potential break in of your residence. You should here the story I give these guys, and no my home has not been broken into.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7