Photo Program?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by CRC, Jan 29, 2006.

1. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ok...I figured out the camera..

Finally got it out last night....I figured out where to put the cable from the camera to the USB port ,etc.....

But I don't have a photo program on here....Are there any decent free ones? Or will I need to purchase one? I have been browsing PCWorld and found some free ones...including Picasa from google?

But I don't know anything about this and would appreciate some input.....

Thanks!

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If you have Windows, you have MSPaint. Clumsey, but it works. Plug in the camera, open "my computer" and the camera should show as an attached device with a drive name. Create a folder on your hard drive, open the camera drive, and copy/paste the pix onto the HDD folder, you should be good to go. IMPORTANT, don't ask me how I know: Audit the HDD folder to make sure all the files were copied over BEFORE you delete the files on the camera memory card --

The camera has a way to assign file names to the pix. Once you download to the computer, (if it isn't obvious) you'll probably want to rename the files before you forget what they are. No need to ask me about that, either.

When you get around to it, you'll want a photo editing program with a few more bells and whistles than Paint. Adobe Photoshop is "the" program, but it's relatively pricey. PaintShop will do enough for me, especially since I got it for the "right" price.

I use Irfanview for general viewing. Free. It's disadvantage is that it doesn't generate thumbnails. There are others, but I haven't bothered with them simply because I'm happy with Irf.

I'm surprised your camera didn't come with a disk. All of those I've seen have a thumbnail viewer. A good thing to have, especially if you forgot to rename the files --

Now sit back and wait, I betcha there are some experienced users that will chime in with more and better info. I've had my camera only since just before the holidays.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I use a lot of different photo editors and of all I have found, the easiest to use for a newcomer is "PhotoImpact." It's full compliment of features rivals Photoshop (except for advanced publication utilities) and it has the added benefit of an intuitive interface. I use it frequently for Web work but its easy enough that my grandchildren are also able to play with it. Hardy endorsement from RightHand

4. CRC

Good enough for me then...

Thanks RH!

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yeah for just being able to save or print and view there should have been a disk with the camera, or at least has been with the ones we have had, that will load on the PC. They may not do much for editing the pics but should atleast do same as haveing the film developed.

6. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

XP will do it, you shoulda had some software with your camera, unless that's one of the Midnight Auto Sales Weekly Specials.

7. CRC

It has the software , Smarty Pants..

AND I loaded it on the computer even... [tng2]

I don't like it.....There are some things my daughter does , that I want to be able to do ..and apparently Kodak doesn't think I need to know how to do that.. :D

8. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

you all set now? [cof]

9. CRC

Yep...

Thanks largely..... [winkthumb]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7