Photos of Food Storage?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by IndieMama, Feb 22, 2011.

1. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

I don't think these are 7 ml. I think they're 5 ml. But I get my 20x30 bags and oxy absorbers from www.usaemergencysupply.com. The shipping isn't great, but the bags are $1.47 each and that seems to be a good price. What I save on those more than makes up for the shipping.

They also have Gamma Seal Lids decently priced when you buy them in bulk= 3-5 case or so. My Mom and I bought a bunch altogether and it was a good deal.

2. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Based on what little I know.... I don't think there's a big difference between 5mil and 7mil. I've been bypassing an inner mylar pouch by direct filling some 5 gallon buckets with rice, beans, and flour adding 3 300cc and 1 100cc oxygen absorbers. USA Emergency's 1000cc oxygen absorbers would be considerably more convenient for me when direct filling a 5-gallon bucket so thank you for turning me onto the availability.
    For buckets that I'm using to store multiple products, I've been using these mylar bags with 2 100cc oxygen absorbers per inner bag and no oxygen absorbers in the bucket, Product Details ( Dry-Pack Pouches. Foil pouches, case of 250 )
    This is where I ordered the oxygen absorbers, Powdered Dried Whole Eggs - Freeze Dried Fruit - Blanched Almond Flour - Steel C - Search.
    Being able to get my hands on 200cc oxygen absorbers would be ideal but.... so far no competitive pricing for less than a case of them.
    Here's the pricing for your new supplier, https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/emergency_supplies/oxygen_absorbers.htm.
    Honeyville's pricing is better for 100cc oxygen absorbers even with a shipping fee. USA Emergency's pricing on 500cc oxygen absorbers looked better until I factored in the shipping costs which were considerably higher than Honeyville's. I guess for me it's going to depend.... on where I'm already placing an order. I do like Honeyville's $4.49 anywhere in the US regardless of products purchased though especially when ordering 50# bags. I've learned shipping costs can be a killer.... for me at least.

3. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

I've never ordered from Honeyville and did not know their shipping was so cheap. Thanks for the tip.

I do get my 50# wheat, my beans, and other grains, etc., from my food co-op, so I don't have to pay shipping. It's REALLY NICE.

They don't have the rice I want, so I think I am going to go to Costco for that. I normally don't use white sugar except for the some canning and making water kefir. But I want to get large bags of that, too, since it keeps so long and can be used for bartering. My salt stores are already really good and so is my baking soda. Except I use baking soda for everything.

I store alternative grains besides wheat, since folks can develop wheat/gluten allergies after long term use, and I have one child that seems to do better on other grains, anyway.

We are planning an order from Emergency Essentials for their 15 pack fruit and 18 pack vegetables. I'm excited to add that to my long term storage and have something I don't have to worry too much about rotating anytime soon.

4. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

No co-op for me which.... always bums me out. I wish we had co-ops like what others describe. All we have is farmers markets and those have gone downhill big time. The last one I was at started letting in anybody willing to pay the fee... there were insurance agents and chiropractors offering free spine adjustments mixed in with the produce stands. See what happens when you're stuck living in a suburb of a big city>>>? I'm so jealous of your co-ops and my bet is your farmers markets still have lots of organic producers. I'm definitely into alternative grains. Do you have a source for bulk quinoa by any chance... cheap? Rice I've been picking up at Sam's Club. I'm told the pricing at CostCo is better than Sam's Club but.... no CostCo near me... woe is me again. I sooooooo need to get my salt stores up.... thanks for reminding me. I use baking soda for everything too. It's one of the items I've been putting in multiple item 5-gallon buckets. Definitely check Honeyville before you place that fruit and vegetable pack order so you don't get sick to your stomach finding out after the fact you coulda saved big bucks..... I hate that when that happens to me. Come to think of it.... do you dehydrate at all yourself or are you spread too thin to take on any more than what you're already doing?

5. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

I am in a small town, too. But the food co-op delivers by semi-truck here twice a month. If you are west of Missouri, you can use www.azurestandard.com. They have many routes. Shipping here is free, because it is Oregon based. But I think shipping is minimal for other routes further away. That is where I get my grains and they do have quinoa in large quantities.

I do dry my own tomatoes and have done some fruit. But I haven't done much, yet. I need to be thinking more about doing that when I find a good deal. I have a small dehydrator, but my oven actually dries food, so I use that. I need more screens/shelves to dry things on, though. I'd like to get my husband to make me some metal framed screens sometime.

Anyting else I get from the garden or local farms I freeze and I can a lot of homemade jam from fruit I find at local farms. We live close to Harry & David and in September they had peaches for .10 lb. and they were so good, I canned peaches for the first time using an alternative recipe that had raw honey in it and I made jam, too. The family doesn't like store bought jam at all anymore, I've been making it so long.

I don't know if they will do it again this year, as they are reportedly not doing well as a company. I hope they do, though.

6. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I'm east of MO. Oh well.... you tried. If you get a chance since you're obviously a member.... would you tell me what your co-op's charging for the 25# bag of organic quinoa?
    <label>Code: </label>GR074
    <label>Size: </label>25 lbs.
    <label>Weight </label>26.0 lb.
    I'm just curious.
    --
    Since you're already freezing.... you're already blanching what needs it so dehydration will be easy peasy for you. Yes!!! Some ovens dry food quite well. I've dried vegetables in my oven set to 125° and.... I make yogurt in the same oven too. One thing that might be helpful to you if you're considering the dehydration route would be the TFE sheets here, KSO Direct -. Especially for bananas and spinach. I went through rolls of parchment paper before I figured out there was a food safe re-usable product out there that could take temps to 400°. Not that we need temps anywhere near that high though. I've looked all over and so far.... that's the best price I found online. I see they have non-stick screens your husband could use to make frames for you but.... I never priced those out.
    Sorry about Harry and David. I have a very small hobby orchard here that produces a decent quantity of peaches and I would have been buying peaches from them too at that price for sure. I can all of our jams too soooo.... everyone here's a homemade jam snob too.

7. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

It is $57.45 for that 25 lb. bag. Quinoa is expensive stuff, but full of protein. I just got some that's been flaked for hot breakfast cereal.

8. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Quinoa is up there with organic soybeans in my book. Thank you thank you thank you. Co-ops are definitely money savers based on that price. I wonder why I can't find a co-op for food. I can find one for building supplies and one for furniture but.... none for food. You'd think being as close to Chicago as we are there'd be something around. I just remembered something.... I can't do it because we've got soffits but maybe you can. A friend of mine had a display space above her upper cabinets. She used to show off her fancy baskets. She'd add dried flowers to them and other nick knacks and it did look nice but... it looked staged if you know what I mean. She never used the baskets.... they were just for looks. Longersomethingorothers they were and they cost bundles evidently and collected a lot of dust. Anywhooo.... she was looking for space and I told her to ditch the dust collectors and stick her jars where the baskets were. She did. It gave her kitchen a wholesome country look and all her jars were out of direct light and pretty easily accessible... just as soon as she hoisted herself up on the counter. ;) Better than walking down to the basement as far as I'm concerned.

9. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

One must have kitchen cabinets for that to work, LOL! I should post some photos of my kitchen sometime. It is makeshift. When we remodeled this house, we ran out of money and I want to do a really nice kitchen, so we decided to wait.

I have two metal Costco shelves (the heavy duty ones), a workbench, and laundry tub sink, a small counter installed over my dishwasher, frig./freezer combo, deep freezer, range and trash compactor. That's it.

One of these days....except I prefer to go to the ceiling with the cabinets if possible. It's wasted space.

10. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I will post my storage soon as I get it in one place LOL, its every where. I have been gleening and found some good sales today, but man I got it every where. I hope to get my shelves up tomorrow, we could not figure them out today LOL

11. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

sounds like my kitchen, the land lord is remodeling it ( I pray real soon now) my kitchen has hardly any cupboards, but soon I will have 2 tall pantrys and lots of cupboards!!

12. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

IndieM>
    Personally.... I think kitchen cabinets are over rated. Go without for as long as you can.... they'll only create work for yourself once they're in. Mine have dog slobber and cat sneezes on them not to mention grimy finger prints all the time that I'm constantly cleaning off. If there were no cabinets.... the slobber shoe strings would end up on the floor where they're easy to get to with a mop.
    --
    CANDY> Would you PALEEEEEASE just post your photos with it everywhere!!!! I posted my kitchen with "stuff" everywhere and posted photos from different areas of my basement. Who wants to see it all orderly in one place>>>>? Misery LOVES company and besides which.... real folk don't live like that. ;)

hank2222 likes this.
  13. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

tomorrow I will if I can, I promise. yeah my basement is loaded with water LOL, and buckets, and my bins, and my shelves . tomorrow I will get it al out of the closets, and stick them in the room, where there is light to see what I have LOL, if not saturday.

14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I didn't take a photo of my 5 Mighty Tuff jumbo garbage cans that hold a couple hundred gallons of water or the very sophisticated method I use to fill them with rain water which is.... a garden hose run from the spigot of one of my rain barrels down through a window well straight into the garbage cans. I can empty those too.... all I need to do is dump the water on the floor and it goes straight to a drain and then when the water is low enough in the garbage can... I tip it over and the rest flows to the drain. I swap out water about every 3 months and have always been saving rain water for my seedlings even before I saw a need to save water for our family. I also have 5 rain barrels connected to gutters outside that I think hold another 50 gallons each. Like I said.... misery loves company so definitely show off your photos!!!

15. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

you got me beat on the rain barrels LOL I can not set my barrels out until the spring. I will have 2 in my basement with clean water, but my rain water will have to wait until the -17 below goes away LOL.
    Here are some of my cache, I am not going to show you my room yet, or the garage LOL, these are my stuff indoors so far ( besides my room. ) The garage is plumb full of the sports stuff, cooking, fuels etc. but again its -17 an d you are not getting me out there to take pics. my barrels are out there to, maybe tomorrow ok.
    this is part of my emergency essentials. its 3 deep and 3 down under my sons bed.

1 of many many bins.

hank2222 likes this.
  16. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

yesterdays haul

hank2222 likes this.
  17. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

these cupboards are 3 feet deep and filled.

hank2222 likes this.
  18. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

edited thanks

hank2222 likes this.
  19. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

my new shelves

odd corners LOL I have not added to the piles yet.

drug cupboard ( I have enough meds to last 3 years so far LOL

hank2222 likes this.
  20. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

more inhalers and alergy meds

and more alergy and alergy meds

hank2222 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7