Photos of Food Storage?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by IndieMama, Feb 22, 2011.

1. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

two more ( one of my three freezers full of stuff still needing to be mylared just debugging so to speak. 50 pounds of rice, more flower etc. and more water , (do not have all the water pictured )

hank2222 likes this.
  2. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I meant to say 50 pounds of wheat LOL sorry, now there you have it, some of my storage I started in January. I think Im doing pretty good so far. my buckets are filled with 1 gallon mylar foods. rice, pasta, potatoes,wheat, flour,pancake mix, etc.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Congrats on your efforts Candy but remember, prepping is a marathon, not a sprint. The goal is that it becomes a way of life rather than an event

ghrit and Seacowboys like this.
  4. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Im thinking you got this backwards LOL,( or did you ) and yes I have always stocked up, but I never thought I would be doing it for more then a year number 1. and number 2. Its always been my way of life to have more then enough, rotate and be ahead of the game, any game! and with crap hitting the fan faster these days hell yes its a marathon, I have to stock for 7 people, I better pretty darn well make it to the finish line in record time. some people have had quit a while to stock, Im just in the first stages and I think I have done an amazing job on an old gal who makes 10 bucks an hour :) so yep its a marathon, its on and Im running full force.

5. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

I just calculated my total grain storage and was surprised that I am still short. I am storing for 8 people and I have 1195 lbs. of grain and still need 749, according to my calculations.

The calculator I using counts children over 7 as adults, though. So I may be okay. But I will keep adding to it. We could use more rice, pasta and dent corn.

I have been buying spaghetti, since it stores so much more compactly. You can get a lot of that into a bucket, too. But I'm thinking I will wrap them in smaller quantities.

6. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

Im still wondering why we need all that grain, besdes bread why?? I mean I have never made bread, well thats not true I did about 10 years ago LOL, but I plan on it. In fact I was hoping to get my nutramax and my bosche soon. ( got a generator to run them) I guess I better step up my wheat ! Thats a lot of wheat indiemama !

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Carbs, Lady, You have to have CARBs, for energy... No CARBs, No power to make your body run.......

8. IndieMama

IndieMama Monkey+++

Yes, and I have a lot of children to feed!

9. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

ok, so I will get more grans, but I got carbs coming out of the wood work LOL, I will head out this next week and get another 200 pounds. thanks for the info :)

10. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

todays gleen... 1.00 a can, may not be the best price, but for this small town its great. walmart was more expensive. fruit if you look is going up by leaps and bounds this is 84 cans :)

11. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I hope you will decide to invest in canning jars and a good canning bath. You can cut your costs by at least 75% which will allow you to continue prepping at the same rate without breaking the bank. You'll also benefit by eliminating all that sugar and preservatives.

12. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

75% ?/ what planet are you on lately?? fruit is so high right now its ridiculous, or is it not in your neck of the woods?? canning jars, yeah there pretty pricy. no i will continue to buy cans that my family will go through and glean things I need. peaches along went on "sale" to 2.99 a pound last summer, so how can buying peaches and caning be less then the 84 dollars I just spent? yeah the jars can be reused, but at what cost since the fruit it so high priced? I have jars, I have the canner, but here where I live the only fruit I see until summer is apples sour grapes and banana's ! what happens if I need the fruit( " crap hit the fan ") I would have missed this sale. I have already bought and stored 16 #cans of fruits, from emergency essentials. ( have a new order being ordered next week)
    these fruits will last me at least 2 years right? well by then it may be gone and new fruits added, but for now it was to me a wise choice. I can use my dehydrated for the next 10 years or more LOL

13. RightHand

I guess it's all dependent on where you are located. During the late summer, I can pick peaches for $5 a bushel basket. Apples from my trees, blueberries, blackberries and strawberries by from own plants. The garden produces enough vegies and herbs to supply my needs for the seasons when I can't grow. At the end of last season, I got 25 lbs of butternut squash for $2.50 at a local farm outlet. Stored in a good root cellar and I'm good for a year. Farm markets would rather sell end of season good for a small amount than have it end up in the compost pile with no cash return. It just takes a little planning.

I think that we basically look at prepping in different ways. My idea of prepping is to buy what I can't produce myself (i.e. toilet paper, grains, etc) but spend my funds on whatever equipment I need to be self sufficient. If worst comes to worse, it may not end in a few months. You could easily go through your purchased supplies. It's the old teach a man to fish scenario. I have always canned, baked my own bread, sewed my own cloths, fished and hunted, etc so it is natural for me to assume I can rely on myself for survival. It's that philosophy that I believe is a true prepper's mantra. Rather than "how much can I accumulate," my question is "do I have what I need to take care of myself." We just have different outlooks.

14. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

you are truly blessed dear, I can not grow fruit here, my city is colder then most cities in my state, we grow apples but not here, we have only a 3 month window to grow in by October we have frost. Growing most foods here is a trial to say the least. I rent, there for no big garden, no animals ( excpet my dogs)
    What I can grow will be in buckets this spring, Im going to try to grow like mad what I can, but reality here is that I buy what I can get my hands on because there is nothing else to do. 5.00 a bushel would be amazing hon, totally amazing. 2.99 is the norm here and even then who wants to pay 1.99 ( on special for apples. I realize now we are two different worlds LOL, yours sounds like heaven, mine is another planet all together LOL cold and brown 8 months of the year, when it starts to green up we all fly out of the wood work. its been -25 below here, still the middle of winter for us.

15. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

oh and our farmers markets, well lets just say a pound of money for little produce. Its extremly expensive since the growing season is so small. and the organic we buy at the stores is as expensive. so you see, the cans I showed you today, was amazing. canned fruit is now 1.89 for small cans. I was excited to post these since it was an amazing deal.

16. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

to fish would be 60 miles out, to hunt would mean a gun and a truck i live in the mountains and have a small car.
    love that your a true prepper,

17. RightHand

I usually get a hard frost by early September and it was below zero last night. Snow can start as early as October and continue through April. However, I am fortunate to live in farm country and have my own land resources for hunting, fishing, and growing. It you have a basement in the rented house, think about building an indoor root cellar. It will give you an amazing resource for those times you do find good buys.

18. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

my dream, to own land :) I do not own, there for can not dig a cellar . I do have a nice basement so I do store a lot there, the picture was in my sons room, but we are blessed to have the kitchen redone for us in the next months or so ( if it warms up some) so the workers will need to get to the basement pipes, I do not want them seeing my stash, it will all be gone from there until my kitchen is finished :)

19. RightHand

Here is a link to a indoor root cellar constructed of wood. Something like this might be do-able for you to construct

Mother Earth News

20. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

RightHand>
    Doesn't hurt to sprint every once in a while just to know you're alive!!!
    --
    IndieMama> I'm a little over half for grains too.... I really need to work on that.
    --
    CANDY> HOLY MOLY!!! Great balls of fire... did you have a panic attack like I did when you saw the price of milk shoot to the stars or what!!! ;) Back in a photo in post 40 of your chest freezer you've got a 2-pack of Fleischmann's Yeast.... save the freezer space. That's dry vacuum packed yeast and it doesn't need to be tossed in the freezer until it's opened. Once you open it.... take out a quantity you think you'll use within a few months and store that in your frig in a jar then toss the rest in another jar in the freezer.
    You got me beat hands down overall but.... by the looks of your photos.... I've got you in one area besides rain water.... toilet paper. We didn't get indoor plumbing until I went to college.... I would REALLY prefer never to have to rip another page out of a phone book or a Montgomery Wards catalog EVER again in my entire life. At the rate I'm going stashing toilet paper.... I'll be able to use it for insulation in the house.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7