Physical Conditioning Crucial To Survival Situation

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Yard Dart, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

Survivability during a crisis is not just about what guns, toys and gear one can buy or the amount of prepper food one can hoard. It’s also about being in the best physical shape possible in order to handle the rigors of a survival situation.

“Hard” and “work” are considered two very nasty four-letter words to many people these days, especially when spoken in the same breath. Yet those who refuse to “cowboy up” are bound to become a statistic of one kind or another. Who is usually best able to deal with this and who isn’t?

Blue-collar benefits
    Physical fitness usually is a blessing for blue-collar workers, as their profession demands remaining physically fit.

Outdoorsy types
    Those who are into hunting, fishing, camping, etc., tend to be in better shape than the average person. However, those who rely on modern amenities such as RVs, AT’s and other Vs are not necessarily in good enough physical condition to survive.

Sedentary populous
    In our ever-expanding high-tech world, there is a growing majority of the population that has sedentary, office and cerebral careers. To remain physically fit requires dedicated effort on their part. It is an ugly fact that many Americans are so accustomed to being “couch potatoes” that they tend to view exercise as an unnecessary annoyance.

It’s important that you don’t neglect your overall physical fitness if you intend to survive an eventual crisis. Keeping up your strength and agility must be part and parcel of your survival strategy.

Head of household
    As the head of a family, it is your responsibility to keep those in your charge healthy in mind, body and spirit at all times. You are responsible to be the leader whether you are married, single, or just care for a gaggle of kids. You will be the core provider doing all heavy exertion duties that must be performed, if and when things go bad.

It will be all on you to adjust for children, the elderly weak, or physically compromised and yes… your life might stink while you’re doing it.

I’ve seen people who are completely out of shape thrive, while some who should have had no trouble physically coping suffered terribly and sometimes even died, so I’m not going to nag you about getting into shape.

But there are some ways to get in shape in order to maximize your chances for survival, including…

• Get off the couch and make yourself do things without power tools or pushing a button.
    • Take the stairs more often than the elevator at work.
    • Walk wherever you need to go that is less than 20 blocks away.
    • Give up any bad habits such as smoking, drinking, etc.
    Another thing you can do is take up walking regularly as a family with everyone wearing their bug-out bags. Start out doing a couple hours after dinner once a week. Then extend the time and the distance your family hikes together. Always make these weekly excursions fun, throwing in some learning and practice times in connection with survival skills.

Once or twice a year, take a practice survival trip, camping with only what is in your bug-out-bags. Practice your fishing, hunting and gathering skills, too. You can do this in your backyard or at a nearby campground. Just don’t cheat.

And most important, if you want to lose some weight, push away from the table before you have to unhitch your belt now and then.
    Good physical conditioning crucial to survival situation - Personal Liberty®

We can always do more, do better..... how are you doing?!

2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

OH HOW I HATE THESE SILLY A$$ PHYSICAL SELF-HELP STORIES!!! Look @Yard Dart I am being slowly murdered over here! It is Spring and ~1 March every single blessed day that the sun was out (meaning it wasn't raining) I have been working like an Irish indenture servant of the 1700s. I have been brutalized by pulling stumps (2 done today) with a shovel, axe and pickup, and falling trees and hand caring the firewood out of the woods then carrying out the branches and burning them, moving more wheelbarrow yards of top soil than I can count for an increased garden and lets not talk about wheelbarrows of gravel for pathways, cutting, carrying out, and burning blown downs (when had a major windstorm right before winter and I had at least 70 trees go), stacking firewood, moving over 100 cinder cement blocks (a day's count)...shall I go on? It's Spring. There is work to be done. And, you want me to go to the gym??? About all I can do is crawl to bed at the end of the day!!!! Bloody hell, you're a hard man... I tell you what, you jump in the car and head East and I will meet you in Spokane and we'll have some training together (Heh-Heh! misery loves company! :) ) but - please note - my Russian wife will put the fear of God into a Seal Instructor and believe me she invented the saying "The only easy day was yesterday"...my aching back! Where-oh-where is the blackberry vodka? :):):)

3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

everyone runs faster with a shot of vodka.

Seepalaces, AD1 and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Yard Dart

Sucks it up butter cup!!!
    You are doing just fine....and I would be happy to help.

AD1, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  5. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

'I'm called Little Buttercup — dear Little Buttercup, Though I could never tell why...' la-la-la! LOL! :) Back to the pain killer. :)

6. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I'm gonna go to a doctor probably sometime this month, because I've been having serious back problems. It's not that the sedentary winter behavior is over, and I'm overdoing gardening and spring cleanup and such, I've had that problem before. This feels like there is a nerve/spine problem. And if the doctor tells me I just need to exercise more to lose weight and it'll go away, I'm gonna hurt 'em!(maybe). With all I do around here, I get plenty of exercise. If I'm home all day, depending on the weather, I probably end up walking between 2-5 miles doing stuff here. I'm not 'skinny' but I wouldn't consider myself fat fat as in obese, I'm just 'fat'. And it doesn't bother me.

Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

"WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER....Buttercup"....;)

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I always find it amusing, when I get calls from health clubs, that think I should join them to get exercise. They have no idea of what I do for a living. I am constantly climbing, carrying, winding, bending, lifting. Enough so I am recovering from injury now, from doing too much.

Altoidfishfins likes this.
  9. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

While all the above is true for you people, for most, it's stuck in the office day after day. I recently transferred from my strictly cubicle and lab - dwelling work life to a different job with the company that includes more outdoor physical activity. I'm in fairy good shape already because I do exercise and watch the diet. But it's difficult to stay awake when doing nothing but writing reports and running tests.

Most co-workers can't figure out why I'd want to do more physical stuff and get out of the office environment (psssst! It's also because they drive me nuts with their petty little demands and the fact that they're far too lazy to figure shit out for themselves).

And, the fact that they're lazy shows - literally. The company has fresh fruit brought in every week to try to encourage people to eat healthy, but it doesn't help with those boneheads. I'd bet that over 3/4 of the company is out of shape and some of those are just plain morbidly obese. A quick look down any busy American street will tell the same story.
    [rnt]

So the opening article is addressed to the masses, most of the American people who will not make it when SHTF because of years of cushy jobs and overeating. It is not addressed to those who are clearing land, gardening and pulling weeds, moving cinder blocks and those who work at the very essential ass-busting jobs that simply must be done.

10. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

This one was my favorite: "Physical fitness usually is a blessing for blue-collar workers, as their profession demands remaining physically fit."

Whoever wrote article this isn't paying attention. Many if not most blue collar workers are in no better shape than anyone else. Truck drivers, plumbers, and even many cops and fire fighters have some of the fattest asses I've ever seen. Their profession may "demand" it, but they ain't playin'.

And good luck getting the entire family to cooperate with ""couple hours" hiking, with bug out bags, once a week or more. Those with teenagers know it's hard to get them to walk ten feet to the dinner table much less hike two or three hours with a bag of stuff.

I would think anyone who needs to be told to stay in shape isn't going to do it anyway.

Seepalaces, chelloveck and Motomom34 like this.
  11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Depending on what they do, some blue collar workers have arms similar to the Hulk's attached to an out of shape body. The writer hasn't walked through a manufacturing plant.

@VHestin
    Do a search for stretching exercises for the lower back or wherever it hurts.

Seepalaces likes this.
  12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I went to the Drs and they do not consider yard work as exercise, I straightened them out. I am with Buttercup, don't have any energy to crawl to the gym.

13. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Anyone else walk 10k steps a day?or more?[​IMG]

Seepalaces and Yard Dart like this.
  14. Yard Dart

The point of the OP is to get out there and get active if you are not.... not to hit the gym per se. The key is to get out and do some form of exercise daily.... be it walking the neighborhood, getting out into the woods and working on your skills, physical labor around the homestead.....ETC. Conditioning yourself, in order to maximize your chances for survival.

15. Yard Dart

Well done @Ganado !!! :cool:
    My Fitbit died so I have no idea what I am doing daily right now. :(

Seepalaces and Ganado like this.
  16. kellory

You have an unfit fit-bit?:eek: submit for refit!

Seepalaces and Yard Dart like this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Sorry for the silliness but the laughter burns calories. Plus being mentally happy gives you more incentive to get off your bottom and a can do attitude.

18. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

What's funny about it is even thinking I might do a 10,000 step day.

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I know a guy that was cartboy at Walmart. He used to log about 8 miles a day just collecting carts.

Seepalaces, Ganado and kellory like this.
  20. kellory

I logged a few hundred, but I had my truck to carry them;)

Seepalaces likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle_gym

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    Media

Home_gym

I love my home gym!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra loves to workout!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Dec 4, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
    Alleyjandra has life figured out!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
  15. wideym
  16. Yard Dart
  17. The_Prepared
  18. hot diggity
  19. Dont
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7