Agriculture Plants from Pips (Pits): How to grow a garden / orchard from kitchen scraps

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, Dec 12, 2016.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I have added to my green patch library, a book, authored by Holly Farrell, called "Plants from Pips"

[​IMG]
    .Book Review: RHS Plants From Pips and The Little Book of Hygge

The book explores comprehensively the propagation of different fruits, and berries from kitchen scraps. The book includes specific propagating techniques for each plant, care and maintenance, and a section on pests and diseases. This is a good way of getting kids interested in growing different kinds of yummy fruits inexpensively.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I can get avocado and lemon seeds to sprout but have never had success with a cherry pit or an apple. I have always wanted to try a berry seed, like blackberry but am thinking that organic would be the best. I know that @Gopherman has had great success sprouting things he has bought in the store.

Gopherman and chelloveck like this.
  3. chelloveck

Am away from the book at the moment, but from memeory, cherry pips(pits) require a low temperature to start germination....for those who can't do that, because they have cherries out of season, the germination can be forced by placing the cherries in their growing medium inside a refrigerator for a while.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
    Tully Mars, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  4. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

So cherries have to be cold stratified before germination? I bought pawpaw seeds from...it was either Bountiful Gardens or Horizon Herbs(now called Strictly Medicinal), and I didn't follow the instructions to nick the shell coating, thinking I didn't need to, and as a result I had no germination.

In an unrelated mainly tangent, this reminds me of the Sherlock Holmes story The Five Orange Pips...

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

hmmm... now im going to have to try the lemon seed trick. Ive never been able to get them to sprout... thanks @chelloveck ... I do love a garden challenge

Motomom34 and chelloveck like this.
  6. chelloveck

A lot depends upon how plant seeds germinate naturally.....the trick is to emulate that sufficiently to trick the seed into germinating on demand as it were. A number of Australian native plants require fire or smoke to kick off germination.

I have had mixed success with getting fruiting plants to grow from seed....I'm hoping that studying the techniques in the referenced book might improve the success rate.

Motomom34 likes this.
  7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have never heard of smoke being used for germination. That is so interesting, actually quite perplexing. Fire is heat but smoke?

8. chelloveck

Where There’s Smoke, There’s Germination - Illinois Steward - University of Illinois Extension

I'm not aware of any domesticated fruit / vegetable varieties that depend on smoke priming as a propagation, however, some species of Australian bush tucker do germinate better in environments where firestick farming is prevalent.

9. chelloveck

1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7