Plasma cutter

Discussion in 'Blades' started by oil pan 4, Jun 19, 2016.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It weighs 45lb empty. I know this because I bought them from the scrap yard.
    They hold 43lb of refrigerant, because I use the same tanks where I work.
    Full they weigh almost 90lb.
    Still not sure how they have a total full weight of 45lb.
    One more time?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2016
  2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

and your tech order says to strike a pressurized tank with a hammer while under pressure?? I looked and couldn't find the tech order without ordering a copy..

3. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Time to Ignore !
    Thats 3 strikes

Tully Mars likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

No, the Navy did not. At least not my Navy. Hydro testing (NOT pneumatic) was all that was authorized, even in the shipyards.

AF TO 34Y1-1-171

Paints and Protective Coatings

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
    Tully Mars likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Google is wrong. The one that the search gave you is actually AFM 85-3 (it says what it is on the first page), I found the oldest guy I could, been in since 1981 and says "AFM" were before his time.
    I am looking at it 34Y1-1-171 right now. Its only 10 pages total. 34Y1 series is air compressors and tanks.
    The Paints and protective coating technical order is 35-1-3, That AFM 85-3 kind of resembles 35-1-3.

Yeah, says if its a low carbon steel tank to fill it with water, make sure every bit of air is purged, pressurize and hammer it, but not hard enough to dent the tank and says to never hammer on fiber coated tanks. Pretty simple.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2016
  6. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT GHOST MONKEY

Having used both a plasma cutter and a water jet, I found the water jet to be superior in all aspects My experience was cut short when I was moved to INSPECTION. What say you on the comparison. If I seem a little ignorant on the subject; it is because, I am.

Tully Mars likes this.
  7. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Water jet IS superior, but out of the price range for most home shops.

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

They are putting in a water jet where I work this summer while I am at summer camp.
    Last I herd the funding for the water jet table was approved.
    My impression is that water jet cutting would be better than plasma cutting just comparing the raw finished products to one another.
    But their are portability and cost concerns with one system more than the other.

9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The mobility of plasma is superior to water jets IMO .
    Unless your use is production on flat materials, that the only reason to use hydro over plasma .
    Unless things have changed radically in the last few years.
    Most of my own work is repair/modifications on equipment already made .
    This is what My interest would be in having plasma .
    Money aside, I'd like a laser .
    The trick is having copper to back every thing, for the laser to stop against.

Cruisin Sloth and Tully Mars like this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I sold the old Miller625 plasma cutter, all consumables and thermodyne case I had it in for most of the nearly 20 years for $900.
    I only needed the hypertherm 30 so I went ahead and got the hypertherm 45 amp because mor power.
    It's supposed to be made mostly in the USA. It was $2,700 with sales tax.
    I took put the 6-50 welder power cord off and installed a premium 10-30 clothes dryer cord because all I use is clothes dryer and rage cords.
    I modify my clothes dryer cords so they fit both range and dryer outlets.

Also there is some called "F5 plasma gas" it's 95% nitrogen and 5% hydrogen and cuts stainless steel leaving it about 99 to 100% ready to weld on the edge. I think I'm going to have to price a bottle of this F5 gas.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2023
    SB21 likes this.
  11. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I had pretty good luck running my plasma on Co2. Spendy but made a great portable set up.

12. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Well the manual for mine didn't say not to use CO2.

13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have been using it alot and I don't know how but it cuts faster, cleaner, with less power and with less air than the old miller.
    The old miller would drain my air compressor and shutoff the hypertherm cuts better with 60psi than the miller did with 80 or 90psi.
    It's also about half the size and weights nothing compared to my old miller.
    You definitely get what you pay for.

SB21 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7