Plastic Soda Bottle Wall Garden

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by DMGoddess, Jan 23, 2013.

1. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

This is another interesting usage. I couldn't read the text (Portuguese I think), but the graphics are very clear. It looks like 20 oz bottles. I'm thinking of trying this with 2 liters. The original design doesn't leave much room for roots, it would have to be used for herbs and greens, but 2 liter bottles (or 3 liters!) would have more room in them.

Rosenbaum » ROSENBAUM RESPONDE: LDL #48 – Horta vertical

Brokor and chelloveck like this.
  2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

:) Translation (mostly): :)

I received many emails and comments on all our networks (Blog, Twitter and Facebook) asking about how to make the PET bottle vertical garden, the house Family Rodrigues in Home Sweet Home # 48 in Itaim Paulista, SP.
    LDL48241.
    Before giving tips on how to build your own, I thank all posts on this reform to Home Sweet Home. I hope to give back all the love of you with another ROSENBAUM ANSWERS.
    / / ROSENBAUM SAYS: LDL # 48 - Horta vertical
    The PET bottle is an invention that worked in economic terms, but has brought a headache when we think of the enormous degradation of the environment caused by it.
    Seek alternatives for reuse has been an effort of society in many parts of Brazil, as we have noticed in my travels around the country.
    The plastic bottles can be reused for cultivating small, spices and herbs, and trapped in walls or walls supported on media of different materials. The idea is to use small spaces and low-cost materials to build gardens in homes, apartments or even in the workplace. It is a popular form of appropriating existing techniques sustainable, viable and economical.
    / / MATERIAL
    - 2 liter PET bottle empty and clean;
    - Scissors
    - Clothesline rope, cordage, twine or wire
    - For those who choose to chordae or wires will require two washers for PET bottle
    - Earth
    - Change of plan
    / / HOW TO DO
    Cut the PET bottle, as pictured below.
    LDL48302.
    To secure the bottles must make two holes at the bottom of the cylinder and two at the top of the bottle. Can you understand well the photo looking straight up. Besides the holes to pass the rope, you need a small hole in the bottom of the bottle. The water used to irrigate the changes need to drain.
    After that, pass the rope through a hole and pull the other.
    Many people have asked us how to make the bottles do not "slip" by string (or twine, cordage or). Thank you for your cooperation and participation. Thinking about this, we developed two designs, with two suggestions.
    - For those who use clothesline or string:
    rosembaum-01-490x358.
    - For those who use cordage or wire:
    rosembaum-021-490x358.
    Then just stretch and attach the rope to the wall.
    LDL4821.
    This way of doing can be improved, ok? It's just a resumão! Feel free to make any changes.
    Thanks, hugs and good weekend everyone!
    Marcelo Rosenbaum.
    LDL48241. LDL48302. rosembaum-01-490x358. rosembaum-021-490x358. LDL4821.

Brokor, JABECmfg, chelloveck and 2 others like this.
  3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Interesting idea. Thanks for the translation!

4. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

Thanks SO much! I've wondered what he wrote!

chelloveck likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is such a great idea. I am going to try this. I have a space on the shed that gets nice sunlight.

chelloveck likes this.
  6. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Happiness is... I showed the husband this and he likes it. He didn't like the pallet gardening but he likes this idea. Plus it won't take as much watering. Now I just have to get some soda bottles.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

If you put your drain holes straight down and centered, you will spend even less water, as the top ones will drain into the lower ones.

Yard Dart and Motomom34 like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@kellory you are always thinking ahead. Good idea. It can drip down. Like that!

9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

In fact, water should also flow down the ropes/wires/ cords by capillary action and surface tension as well. ;)

Motomom34 likes this.
  1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  7. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle Vibes

This is the driveway at the front of my property.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Dunerunner
  19. Dunerunner
  20. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7