Please help me pick the right ACOG

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by GOG, Aug 18, 2017.

1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I had an ACOG on my AK and I loved it. Now I've switched over to the AR platform and I'm trying to pick the right optic.
    There wasn't much choice for 7.62x39 so I had a compact 3x24 with a red horseshoe dot reticle. I liked it just fine, so I'm considering it again. However the red Circle/donut seems like it would be faster to acquire as well as faster to reacquire. I dunno'. That's why I'm asking you guys.

Another factor is cost. It's way more than I paid for my Colt. foosed So far I've seen a 4x35? red circle that's in the ballpark on opticsplanet and sportoptics.

I'm also not sure of the mount configuration either. I have a QD Trijicon low mount from the other ACOG and I'd like to be able to use it if I can, but then we get into co-witnessing the BUIS, so I need help.

Thanks folks.

sec_monkey likes this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Nobody?

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Leupold CQ/T.
    I have shot with the military issue gaycog and didn't like it.
    The first time I qualified with the acog I was thinking "wtf is the big deal about these things"?
    But by that point I had already been ruined by better gear.
    The leupold will cost about the same and it's a lot better.

GOG likes this.
  4. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Only one I'm experienced with is the TA31RCO .
    TA31RCO-M4CP ACOG - Trijicon, Inc.
    So is your AR a flat top with a removable handle, or M16A1. 20 inch, 18 inch, or 16 inch. 14.5 or 11.5 are the military selections more frequently encountered with the ACOG that I've handled. Can't say that I'm extremely experienced with multiple ACOG's, so I wouldn't want to point you in the wrong direction.

GOG likes this.
  5. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

That's the one I used and was massively disappointed with.
    For $1,700+ all I can say is don't.
    I thought they were more like $800 to $900, maybe that's the used price once the new has worn off, disappointment sets in and the owner has a bad case of buyers remorse.

6. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

$1230. shipped. It's a 16" Colt flat top. I'll look into the Leupold, thanks.

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The leupold like I have I got it on sale for $650.
    I think that they normally sell for around $800.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    GOG and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  8. Tackleberry

Tackleberry Krieg Hündchen

TA01NSN

M118LR and GOG like this.
  9. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

These guys had a promotion, enter reddot17 and get 17% off. That made for a very good deal as I've been doing my homework for a while now. I went with the 3x35 with the red horseshoe reticle. There were a few deciding factors: I like the longer eye relief and I'm used to this reticle from my AK. It also comes with a mount so with the discount and free UPS ground shipping I went ahead and bought this one:

Trijicon ACOG 3.5x35 TA11H Dual Illuminated Red Horseshoe .223 Ballistic Reticle w/ TA51 Mount

10. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

It arrived last week.

DSCN0314.JPG

T. Riley, Dunerunner and ghrit like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7