Pleased to be here.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by DeadDogma, Nov 29, 2018.

1. DeadDogma

DeadDogma Way up north.

I've been lurking for a few days and have decided to participate. I'll cut to the chase: I'm interested in living off-grid in a relatively remote part of the world. My interests are oriented around the vague notions of psychology and success (not to imply that I'm sane or successful), and my hobbies are almost exclusively books and firearms.

I intend on starting a sort of retreat for people with varied skills whose company I particularly enjoy. Resources on organization, logistics, accounting, training, and negotiating are welcome.

GOG, Bandit99, Sapper John and 6 others like this.
  2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Welcome , and good luck on your venture ,,,,send pic's,,

Dunerunner, Seepalaces and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey!!

4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Welcome and, where would this all female inhabited tropical island you are looking at be?

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Well, welcome to our Monkey Tree, however you missed the boat by about 9 months, for heading out this year... Lost of great places north of you, but Winter is NOT the time to start, doing, it is the time to start Planning, accumulating, and looking.. I have been living out here for over four decades, and just now, finally have our Dream Place purchased, and the planning for the move, next spring is already well under way, and we are only moving 2 miles further out... If you are serious about, this plan, this is the place to find most of the information you will need to get your Planning underway...You might want to look at my “ Wilderness Building” Blog here on the Monkey...
    Alaska Wilderness Building

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

The tree has MANY Branches , MANY ++++
    Enjoy
    Webbed Toe Sloth (Now ) ;)

7. Grandpa Patch

Grandpa Patch Monkey+

Hello and welcome.

Dunerunner and Seepalaces like this.
  8. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

Welcome and I hope you find and receive what your looking for

9. Tevin

Tevin Monkey+++

Hello and welcome!

I live in the upper Midwest USA where the winters and summers can be very extreme. I've lived my entire life here, and it's been a good life, but I want something else. Ultimately, I'm looking to move to a warmer area, maybe Alabama or the Florida panhandle where I have a like minded friend willing to help me get started. That goal is a few years out but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Good luck on your goals and I'm sure you'll benefit greatly from Survival Monkey.

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Welcome!!!

11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Welcome to the monkey!
    How remote? If you go too remote, you cannot work or will have to commute but you could always work online yet remote internet stinks. It is a chore to find the perfect place to fit ones needs. A few of us are looking for that perfect place to call home. Here is a link to our Resource area. Resources | Survival Monkey Forums The members here are quite helpful and questions are welcomed.

Dunerunner, Seepalaces and Ganado like this.
  12. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Welcome!
    Good luck 9n your new venture.

13. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Welcome!!

GrayGhost and Dunerunner like this.
  14. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

Welcome to the Monkey Tree!

Seepalaces, GrayGhost and Dunerunner like this.
  15. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Welcome to our own little branch on the interwebb....

16. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Welcome from the great State of Jefferson.

17. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Welcome!

I'd strongly recommend that you broaden your interests...substantially. Weapons and books are nice, but will not provide you with the wherewithall to thrive.
    Gardening, animal husbandry, hunting and trapping, tanning, sustainable power systems, construction, mechanical, electrical, beekeeping, food preservation methods, medical....just to name a few.

Best of luck in your endeavors!

18. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Welcome aboard!

When I was ten or twelve I read Jean Craighead George's My Side of the Mountain and this was my idea of off-grid living. It's good that you've already accepted the idea of an off-grid community. I found out rather quickly that living alone in the forest gets old pretty quick.

Lots of experience and sharing here, even for folks who are way out on the ends of the branches. Try to keep an open mind. You might get constructive criticism, but you'll find that even the trolls here are wise, and put considerable effort into making their point. ;)

19. DeadDogma

DeadDogma Way up north.

As close to an arctic tundra as I can find.

No more than 45-60 miles out of a current settlement. I'm a social creature, but the risks of living in urban areas give me the heebie-jeebies.

That's why I'm outsourcing specialized labor to my peers from different industries. Complete self-sustainment is not an idea I frequently entertain.

I'll read it.

Thanks for the warm welcome, all.

20. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Welcome and be welcome

Seepalaces and GrayGhost like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7