Plowed out potatoes this afternoon

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by TnAndy, Aug 4, 2021.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Kinda cool and overcast this afternoon. Ground dry. I weed ate the tops/weeds off the four 100' rows few days ago, so we plowed two rows of them out this afternoon. The first row was mixed red Pontiac and white Kennebec. I'd planted an early row of the Kennebec and they got hit bad by the frost, so I plowed one furrow out down the middle of them, figuring they were killed, and dropped about a 1/2 bushel of red Pontiac in the furrow. Apparently some of the Kennec still came up, as you can see in the baskets.

1/2 bushel of seed potatoes yields about 2 bushels at the end of the season. Got about the same out of the other row, it was all later planted Kennebec. Still have another row of Kennebec and one of Pontiac to dig. We'll end up with about 8 bushels. Got them drying in the basement to harden off some, then will move to the root cellar.

[​IMG]

2. duane

duane Monkey+++

Used to plant Keneybunk, Kathadin, Pontiac, and Green Mtn. After losing them for two years in a row, a few Kathadin made it, but the rest were destroyed by the late blight I gave up. The neighbors that plant a few are still losing them and keeping the blight going. If you spray them enough to get a crop, I don't really like to eat them, so just buy my potatoes and grow rest of blight danger plants in greenhouse in fresh media and hydroponics.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7