PoFung - cheap chinamart radio

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by WolfSpring, Mar 18, 2016.

1. WolfSpring

WolfSpring Monkey

Anyone have any experience with them? I looked them up and they are apparently the sister company to baofeng, some radios say pofung others baofeng of the same model. I've been seeing them for under 20 bucks for a 400-470 16 channel with no screen. I've already got a few good radios, an ICOM and two wouxun 2M/70cm and a baofeng 2M/1.5M. I'm thinking these are perfect for others and for my cars. I can program them with FRS/GMRS and at $20 no huge deal if they get broke. I am wondering if they are the sister company the cable should be the same, yes? I know my wouxun cable works on my baofeng.

I like the idea of pre programmed channels and no display for others, less for them to think about, just put it on the channel I say and it will work. Put a laminated card on the back with each channel and sub channel codes. They'd have more power than a bubble pack GMRS and cheaper than the good GMRS radios are. I know the legalities for licensing and this would be strictly for SHTF situation to hand out afterward. Biggest problem I've got is the people around me, who mind you are mostly Army Signaleers, don't actually have a clue outside of their specialty(routers, satellite, etc..) and I'd want them to be able to communicate if it ever happened. I know that people around me aren't into prepping as much as I am but there are a few with specific skills that I will definitely "let in my foxhole" when it happens.

Amazon.com: BaoFeng Pofung BF-888S Two Way Radio: Cell Phones & Accessories

Thoughts?

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Yup, That is what I do with my two Boefang UV-3Rs.... I give them to the Guests, that come to visit... so that if they get lost, or hurt, while hiking around my AoO, They can call back to the Cabin for Help.... Cheap, work OK, for what they are, and if the get lost or Broken, not a Big Loss.... If the Guests, are Trustworthy Types, I might even give them one of my Kenwood TH-D72As, w/APRS/GPS built-in, and I can just track them, around the Area... If they get lost, I can drive right to them, with the Kenwood TM-D710A/AvMapVI that is mounted on the Rhino660...

Oltymer and Altoidfishfins like this.
  3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

What I've always thought of doing. If you stuff a Baofeng radio in your back pocket and you hear a splash one day after standing up, just hold the flush handle down a little longer than you normally would. No big loss, as it's definitely not worth retrieving at that point.

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One thing I've learned with people is that you have to teach them to listen.
    People that are not the usual radio types don't listen to it through out the day ,and hence if you need them your out of luck.
    My wife (gone now) finally got her ham ticket and I had hopes that we could improve our communications .
    Well that didn't happen.
    I kept my radio on because I was regularly involved in S&R and other hams around town as well.
    She didn't care to listen to it during the day, so I could not call her, (unless i used the phone patch) , but there'd be hell to pay if she called me an I didn't respond in SHORT order.
    It takes time to develop the Ear for chatter and listen for your call sign, but it's essential if your going to be using radio communications .

Oltymer, Witch Doctor 01 and Tikka like this.
  5. WolfSpring

WolfSpring Monkey

I agree arleigh for every day, the problem I am seeing is when it does happen most people are not even remotely prepared for anything at all. I preach and teach every chance I get but so many have "so many other things to do" that they don't have time to learn. Many of my neighbors only have enough food for the week or two between paydays. I'm putting together things that after it happens I can help them so that I don't have to worry about them and they can become an asset instead of a liability or worse, an enemy. Looking to put a few cheap radios together. Some simple tools and a few other items for the ones I actually care about and think will be useful to my needs when it comes. I'm not talking end of the world here, just short term stuff where we may be without help for up to a week and comms can be crucial, neighborhood watch type stuff. I'm thinking these little guys set to specific set of channels with weather given out to 2 or 3 families so we can put something together, rotating security and what not. I've hit the point where my preps are reasonable to get me six months right now and other items to maintain longer for food and water are in place. No one can truly be ready for it all as they don't know what will come but I'd rather give a little to help the ill prepared than turn them away and have to defend against them..

Funny thing is there kids all come over and I talk with them and teach them stuff when I'm doing it outside. Most the kids know more about how to sharpen a knife and make a fire than their parents.

Dont, arleigh, kellory and 1 other person like this.
  6. RangerRick

RangerRick RangerRick-North Idaho Oath Keeper

I teach Survival and Emergency Preparedness here in the Idaho Pan Handle. Spring of 2015 , we started a ham class and as of today we have close to 60 hams at all levels in our area. ISSUE- Leave the radio on, we had a wind storm and 2 snow storms, Nov / Dec, that left us without power for a total of 12 days. Working with my Fire Dept. on down power lines and medical runs I would CQ every 20 to 30 minutes to see who was up and if they needed help- nothing but crickets. These great little radios mean nothing if you are not listening. OK-Done bitchen.
    RangerRick

Witch Doctor 01 and arleigh like this.
  7. BTPost

The same is true for HF.... If there isn't anyone listening, it is very hard to communicate... I am on 14.292 MHz USB. DURING ALL Daylight hours, and 7.093 MHz ALL night Hours... AL7AQ. Bruce in Alaska....

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Guys, while I understand the need when things are going wrong, I recently listened for about half an hour while two guys slowly discussed making a sandwhich. :sleep: they were talking just to make noise. That is not something I care to listen to, and will turn off.
    I have my radio set to scan through every repeater on the local freqs I'm legal to use, so if need be, I can respond, and try to listen while traveling between jobs.

9. zombierspndr

zombierspndr Monkey

At least it wasn't about a recent colonoscopy, or something similar. (n) Turned the vfo onto that more than once.

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It really take an ear for it I guess and patience of course .
    I can listen to the band through out the day and it doesn't bother me to listen to the drone of conversation going on .
    Most of these know that they need to give it a break from time to time to let others use the frequency especially on repeaters.
    Also the day to day chatter gives you some insight on what's going on in their part of the world .
    In the mountains this was critical because road conditions change all the time.
    Every area is different and that's OK , the point is recognizing the people and their voices so when things get sketchy you know who your talking to .
    People that use their radios know how to program them and move around comfortably .
    Those that only use them in an emergency are brain dead in knowing how to program their own radio and are as good as lost.
    It's a good idea to keep the book/ s on the radio/radios your working, tied right to it, no joke.

kellory likes this.
  11. Salted Weapon

Salted Weapon Monkey+++

I recently picked up sold as a pair for 79.99 ( selling now 98.00 on Amazon for the set )
    2 Pack Baofeng Pofung GT-3TP Mark-III Tri-Power 8/4/1W Two-Way Radio Transceiver, Dual Band 136-174/400-520 MHz True 8W High Power Two-Way Radio, with 23CM High Gain Antenna, Upgraded Chip + 2 Remote Speakers + 1 Programming Cable Included.
    Programming compared to previous Baofengs was a breeze the included CD is useless as usual but Chirp was fast and simple.
    I am in the process of getting my lic again, hope to renew by end of summer. But for STHF these are powerful and sturdy I like the look and feel more rugged and outdoor look to them and they put back many lost items on other models which I like.

[​IMG]

hitchcock4 and kellory like this.
  12. BTPost

Nice radios, for the price... When you get your ticket, if you are HF capable, give me. A bump...

13. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

@Salted Weapon : Looks more rugged than the BF-F9 V2+ Amazon.com: Baofeng 2-Pack Black BF-F9 V2+ HP 8Watt Tri-Power (1/4/8w) (USA Warranty) Dual-Band 136-174/400-520 MHz FM Ham Two-way Radio Transceiver: Car Electronics that I purchased last year. Great price for 2 of them.
    • Any idea if they use the same battery as the BF-F9 V2 (which uses the same batt as the UV-5R V2+ )
    • Any technical specs that make it better than the BF-F9 V2+ (it is also tri-power) ?
    • It looks great!

Salted Weapon likes this.
  14. BTPost

Amazon Ad says "A Full Backwards Compatibility with All UV-5R Accessories"

Also NOTE, that these are NOT type Accepted for ANY Commercial Radio Service, Including, but NOT limited to, GMRS/FRS/MURS or ANY CFR47Part90 Service....
    They are for Ham Radio Use ONLY.....

and another NOTE, here: NONE of the Variants for the UV Series Radios, INCLUDING the 82C Commercial Radios, are Type Accepted for GMRS/FRS/MURS Services.... The 82C Radios are ONLY Type Accepted for CFR47Part90 Radio Services.....

Oltymer, techsar and Salted Weapon like this.
  1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. JA40
  4. ED GEiN
  5. Southbound
  6. bumpshadow
  7. hitchcock4
  8. DKR
  9. Bandit99
  10. Bandit99
  11. DKR
  12. DKR