Polar Pure now back on the market

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Trade' started by DKR, Jun 24, 2014.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Spotted this over on the Zombie Squad site - good news for those who like this product --

Polar pure, the most effective water treatment product availble, is now back in stock and availble for sale on amazon.com Amazon.com : Polar Pure - Crystal Iodine Water Treatment / Disinfectant / Purification / Filter Effectivley Treats Up To 2, 000 Quarts / Liters of Water : Sports & Outdoors

[​IMG] I would like to thank everybody for all there support, it was an unfortunately long process due to the "meth heads" that were using iodine, the same chemical used in polar pure, to make crystal meth. This caused the dea to create much strictness regarding the sale and purchase of iodine.

Polar pure has been in negotiations with the dea for approximitly 4 years and we are now happy to say we are back in business with limited restrictions.

1 of the restrictions regarding consumers is that polar pure must be sold directly to consumers which is why we began selling them direct to consumer on amazon.com with an authorized distributor by the dea.

The second restriction imposed on consumers is the quantity per purchase. A customer may purchase as many bottles of polar as they see fit however we are only allowed to ship 1 bottle per customer per day. So if a customer purchases 5 bottles of polar pure we would ship 1 each day and the customer would receive 1 each day as well. We apologize for this inconvienance however it is a strict rule enforced by the DEA.

Polar Pure uses a unique chemical process that kill All waterborne bacteria up to 99.99999% including viruses. There is no filter on the market that can kill or cleanse water as effectively and as economically as polar pure.

Recently a new product was released for sale using only a filter and no chemical solution with the claim that is will kill 99.99% of bacteria but makes no claims regarding Water borne viruses which can cause hepatitis!, this is because water filters cannot filter at the necessary micron level needed to kill viruses. Viruses are about 0.004 microns in size, even the best of filter can only reach 0.2 microns in size.

That being said I am now proud to reintroduce polar pure to the market place for people to safely and effectively as well as economically treat water for all their purification needs

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2015
  2. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Always good to have effective tools to work with, no matter the project.

HK_User likes this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

It's still my favorite water treatment method (when drawing water from questionable sources). I have kept my Polar Pure safe for a while now, and it stores indefinitely. Gotta love that. Amazing product, for sure.

Ganado likes this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Some of you may already know, as of October 26, 2009 the EU has banned the sale of iodine water purification drops or tablets. The European Union has in it’s infinite wisdom issued a “Biocides Directive” (detailed bureaucratic document *here*) that prohibits the sale of iodine for water treatment or disinfectant in any of the countries in the EU. "
    Source = link above

Still good for the USofA, but:
    Iodine is an effective, simple, and cost-efficient means of water disinfection for people who vacation, travel, or work in areas where municipal water treatment is not reliable. However, there is considerable controversy about the maximum safe iodine dose and duration of use when iodine is ingested in excess of the recommended daily dietary amount. The major health effect of concern with excess iodine ingestion is thyroid disorders, primarily hypothyroidism with or without iodine-induced goiter." Source links to larger .nih.gov article.
    Source

And then there is this -
    The ability to control water-borne diseases is critical for soldiers, hikers, and others who may need to drink directly from an outdoor source. Water-borne protozoan parasites that are specifically of concern are Giardia and Cryptosporidium because of their resistance to halogen disinfection. The purpose of this study was to determine the effectiveness of iodine tablets against Giardia and Cryptosporidium under general- and worst-case water conditions that might be found in the field. Giardia cysts and Cryptosporidium oocysts were exposed to iodine according to manufacturer's instructions (two tablets/L = 13-18 mg/L for 20 minutes). This dose inactivated 3-log10 of Giardia in general-case water and pH 9. In worst-case water, however, only about 35% of cysts were inactivated at pH 5. Fifty minutes were required to achieve a 3-log10 reduction at pH 5. Cryptosporidium oocysts were more difficult to inactivate. Only 10% were inactivated after a 20-minute exposure to iodine according to manufacturer's instructions; even after 240 minutes of exposure to iodine only 66-81% oocysts were inactivated. These data strongly suggest that iodine disinfection is not effective in inactivating Cryptosporidium oocysts in water. Because this organism is common in all surface waters, it is recommended that another method of treatment be used before ingestion.
    Source

Your backside, you choice.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

If giardia is your concern then Filtering is a much better solution.... A Berkie Filter will deal with that 99% easy.... OR go with UV Radiation, which is also 99% effective... My Potable Water System uses both Filters, and UV, as well as Activated Charcoal.... Sweetest Water in the world....

Yard Dart and Brokor like this.
  6. Brokor

Nasty water: Treat with iodine, then filter in your Katadyn.
    Decent water: Filter with Katadyn

Nothing beats boiling, if you have the time. In the past, I have filtered and then boiled. Whatever works, folks.

Motomom34, HK_User and Yard Dart like this.
  7. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

One could always set up a still, to boil contaminated water to steam, then condense the steam back to fresh water. Similar (basic) concept to how the US Navy treats sea water to make it potable fresh water.

Of course, you might have a visit from the "revenuers", if they think you're using it for more than making fresh drinking water! ;)

8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Stills are good, but do not remove everything that could be in your water.

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Distilling water, doesn't remove any of the Organic Chemicals that may be in the Raw Water, as these will also vaporize, when the Raw Water is heated, and then re-condense, into the finished product. The way to remove Organics is Activated Charcoal filtering.....

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

About the only things that could carry over in the distillation process would be gasses that might be redissolved in the condensation of the steam. That would be truly minimal, tho' as BT says, if the temps are right, they might be reabsorbed.

Now, so far as the Navy process was back in the day, pressure was reduced to saturation at about 165 degF, which was considered sufficient to kill bacteria as well as increase production by reducing energy input to make it boil. No salts (ionic species of any kind) nor solids were carried over, and gasses were stripped in the boiling process. Yes, I occasionally ran the stills on the boat along with other things that engine room operators get to do.

Side light of little consequence: My uncle was a chemist with a sincere and deep interest in water as a substance. He had a ten stage still in his university office that produced the purest water (known to man at the time) for research purposes. Very tiny quantities, but enough for p-chem research.

Cruisin Sloth and kellory like this.
  11. Brokor

Just so people know, Polar Pure crystals (now back on the market and available on Amazon) are in a pure crystal form and will store indefinitely as such.

Motomom34, Ganado and kellory like this.
  12. CATO

CATO Monkey+++

@Brokor : is there any difference between the blue cap and black cap? Ingredients appear to be the same, but . . .

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
    Seepalaces likes this.
  13. Brokor

I only ever received the black cap bottles, and can assume it's a stock image variance unless the vendors are different. Would definitely only buy from Polar Pure.

14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Polar Pure lasts so long I never realized it was off the market - still using the one I bought 20 years ago, It replaced a small chunk of USP crystallized iodine I kept in a tiny glass container.

Ganado, Hanzo and Brokor like this.
  15. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Me to, well sorta. My old one is someplace in the shop attic from when I moved back in the early 90s. It's in the camping "kitchen" box.
    Never had a need since I use the 3 filter drip unit from a well known Swiss out fit.

So I reordered.

Ganado and Brokor like this.
  16. RangerRick

RangerRick RangerRick-North Idaho Oath Keeper

Thanks, just ordred 5 more bottles, RR

Ganado likes this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Polar Pure is good stuff. Would be awesome if they sold it in a lower profile bottle with some protection on the outside like Ron Hood used. He didn't measure, just dump all the liquid in to treat one liter.

3M-TA3 likes this.
  18. Brokor

Each bottle has an active temperature and dosage table built onto the outside. No matter where you get your iodine, the amount per liter required to provide maximum saturation will vary with the ambient temperature. You can find more information here.

Yard Dart and oldawg like this.
  19. Brokor

Update: If anybody recently purchases Polar Pure, please give feedback. It's probably still the same, since the only ingredient should be iodine, but a different seller is now marketing the product, and the original PP company is "out of business" due to the DEA regulations and the owner, who did not wish to comply with Federal demand. The original company appears to be selling the empty bottles to the "new company", who then fills them with iodine and sells them on Amazon. The new company does have DEA certification, but the quality of the Polar Pure needs to be substantiated. KI vs KIO3 | Survival Forums

Just as a precaution, I should mention that according to DEA regulations, the seller is required to share your personal information with the DEA, which is something the original Polar Pure company refused to do.

Motomom34 and CATO like this.
  20. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

And of course iodine can be used in Meth productions, don't ask me how I know this,... but I do know iodine crystals can make some pretty wicked contact explosives I had a photo darkroom that ended up covered in powdered paper towels once.

Rancher

Witch Doctor 01 likes this.
  1. Navyair
  2. Ganado
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Yard Dart
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid