Polaris says it's the end of the line for Victory Motorcycle brand

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stg58, Jan 9, 2017.

1. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

I don't know much about Victory motorcycles but with the millions paid out in their ATV burning fiasco makes me wonder about the rest of their brands.

Polaris Industries will exit the Victory Motorcycle brand it started from scratch 18 years ago, company officials announced Monday, citing a mix of competitive pressures and lack of marketshare.

The announcement will not affect Polaris’s fast growing Indian Motorcycle brand or other divisions, officials said.

Polaris CEO Scott Wine said the “winding down” of the Victory brand will begin immediately.

“Victory has struggled to establish the market share needed to succeed and be profitable. The competitive pressures of a challenging motorcycle market have increased the headwinds for the brand,” Wine said in a statement. Victory’s share of the motorcycle market slid to just 2 percent last year, from 3 percent in 2013.

“Given the significant additional investments required for Victory to launch new global platforms that meet changing consumer preferences, and considering the strong performance and growth potential of Indian Motorcycle, the decision to more narrowly focus Polaris’ energy and investments became quite clear,” Wine said.

Polaris will help dealers liquidate existing Victory inventory but will continue to supply parts and service for 10 years and to honor warranty coverage accordingly.

Polaris says it's the end of the line for Victory Motorcycle brand

Marck and Yard Dart like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Polaris acquired the Indian Motorcycle brand, which would be in direct competition. To them, that made little sense, especially given that Indian is a far better known name associated with two wheeled cycles. Methinks not to worry about Polaris' health, seems a natural progression.

3cyl, BTPost and Yard Dart like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've never been a big fan of the Victory brand bikes , but a few guys I know swear by them. I'm more into the HD brands , which I own 3 of . I looked at few of them Victories on the showroom floor one time , and they were, in my opinion , ugleee . It looked like they were trying to put out some kind of futuristic motorcycle. Not that my opinion means much.

4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Makes all kinds of sense to me, Polaris is the #1 in winter sports machines, is near the top in the newer off road side by sides, and the line of personal water craft is darn near the top as well. With all that market share, it frees up assets to increase development and production of existing products, and to add further production of new machines. The Motorcycle line was never profitable, was poorly managed as a nitch market offering in a very competitive market, and a failure to listen to consumers wants and needs, and a machine that had ZERO factory support for customization which is what DRIVES a successful Motor company! My HD Rocker C is tricked out quite a bit beyond factory, yet the factory warranty still covers the basic drive train ( as long as It remains stock,and HD does the tuning) irregardless of the mods to the bike! Something Polaris never had! I test rode several Victory bikes as I liked the basic offerings, but there was no real support, and the motor was not friendly to any aftermarket mods and tuning! Hell, My Triumph Speed4 is way more user friendly then the Victory ever was, and this IS a Brit Bike!!!

5. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

The writing was on the wall when they revived the Indian brand that the Victory brand was expendable.
    The winter gear is great but once you see brands shutdown and large defective product settlements make companies targets for takeover/merger and many times mergers are good for product quality.

Marck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7