Police in D.C. planning "consent searches" for firearms

Discussion in 'Freedom and Liberty' started by ColtCarbine, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

SAF SAYS D.C. RESIDENTIAL GUN SEARCH AN EXERCISE IN ‘POLICE STATE DEMAGOGUERY’

BELLEVUE, WA – A plan to conduct “consent searches” for guns in District of Columbia residences is “an outrageous exercise of police state demagoguery,” the Second Amendment Foundation said today.

SAF founder Alan Gottlieb condemned the plan as “a public relations effort designed to influence, through crass dramatics, Tuesday’s scheduled oral arguments on the constitutionality of the District’s handgun ban before the Supreme Court.”

“Launching this effort,” he stated, “on the eve of Supreme Court arguments over the city’s horribly failed handgun ban underscores the Draconian mentality that lies at the root of gun laws like the District handgun ban. Arthur B. Spitzer with the American Civil Liberties Union in Washington, D.C. was right when he told the Washington Post that this ‘sends a message to the public that the police ought to be able to search your house anytime for any reason’.”

Spitzer suggested that citizens will be intimidated into allowing police into their homes without warrant. He said it “cheapens civil liberties and privacy for everyone.” District resident Ronald Hampton, executive director of the National Black Police Association, told the newspaper that he would not allow his home to be searched.

“How dare Mayor Adrian Fenty and Police Chief Cathy Lanier launch this program within days of oral arguments challenging a 31-year-old extremist gun law that has already been declared unconstitutional by a federal court,” he continued. “District citizens, as well as members of Congress, should be furious.

“Calling this project the ‘Safe Homes Initiative’ is an insult to our intelligence,” Gottlieb stated. “If District residents allow this to happen, no home will be safe from warrantless fishing expeditions by police, because that’s exactly what this thinly-disguised program is really all about. We think Congress should step in immediately and stop this from happening.

“Isn’t it ironic that the District heads to the Supreme Court next week in an effort to destroy one-tenth of the Bill of Rights,” Gottlieb concluded, “while they prepare to launch the kind of police state exercise the Bill of Rights was designed to prevent.”

2. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Brain Dead Morons!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

'Zackly the same stunt they are trying to pull in NYC. I wonder how many fish will bite.

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Think they will consent to letting me check their houses first?

5. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would imagine a few will actualy welcome it. They offer imunity (supposedly) for any guns or drugs found in the search and I could see some of the folks in the projects with kids in gangs and such welcomeing the cops to take away the kids guns and or drugs that they are afraid to. I also see MANY people being coersed into letting them in by cops telling them that if they let them in they get imunity if they had anything to hide and if they dont have anything to hide they should hve no problem with it, so if they dont LET them search they will get a warrant or use the fact they were denied as 'probable cause' and then the person will be charged for anything they find.

Aint it great to see our tax dollars at work.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7