Popcorn (fail)- garage cooking

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Motomom34, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

My kid and his torch. :LOL: He wanted popcorn and decided to try popping corn with his torch.

IMG_2778.JPG

The results as you can see, was not good. Too much heat plus a chuck of concrete made a huge snap and flew off. We will have to work on repairing that.

IMG_2782.JPG

Next up was a cast iron pan that we figured would be safer then torching the floor. Once again the result was burned kernels. He held the torch further away when trying to pop the corn in the pan but still it was too much heat.
    IMG_2784.JPG

He is currently thinking on how or what to use to pop some corn while tinkering in the garage. He is growing into an interesting young man and believes he can rig anything in his garage with his tools. He has also suggested that I pick up some brats .Cooking garage style, must be a male thing. :D

2. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Nope didn't work. But good experiment.

Seepalaces and Motomom34 like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Concrete will absorb water (and oils) and it takes little (as you know now) to boil the water and make it explode and spall the concrete. Moto, that youngster got lucky. Probably should get up off the floor somehow.

Essentially the same thing happens with freeze-thaw cycles without the boiling. Water gets into the cracks, freezes, then expands and cracks the masonry.

Side note: Heat the concrete hot enough, and the water of hydration will be released with destructive results. If restrained/contained, there will be an explosion. If not restrained, the concrete will simply disintegrate and return to dust and the water will go into the atmosphere as steam.

chelloveck and Seepalaces like this.
  4. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Heat the pan from the bottom with the torch. Add a little oil to help transfer the heat to the popcorn.

You might also want to measure how hot a pan on your kitchen stove burner will get at the same temperature you use for popping corn and then adjust your flame to get similar results.

Lastly, we used to have a basket style corn popper meant for use over hot coals. I assume these are still available somewhere. This way he can see the corn pop without losing it. If you have an outside fire pit he could pop corn the way it was done by the Indians.

5. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Couldn't add the graphic to the original message
    upload_2017-10-17_11-30-24.

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Harmless experiment.... Good for him for being inquisitive!

I made Hydrogen in my parents garage. Filled a peanut butter jar (yea, it was glass) 1/2 full of muriatic acid and then dropped aluminum foil into the acid. Attached a lid with a piece of plastic tubing inserted into it and a rubber hose to fill balloons. Threw the hose back onto the workbench and the end fell an inch from the flame of the alcohol lamp I use to heat the mixture.

KaBoom!! :D

Seepalaces, Ura-Ki, Sgt Nambu and 3 others like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Your in for an interesting ride with that young man! Good Luck!

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

"Than", not "then". Not interchangeable. Common grammatical error.
    As said, not a good thing on porous concrete. The heat of the torch is far too concentrated. Maybe try greater distance, and oil in the container.

Seepalaces likes this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Then, than ...... I get it wrong every time, which you pointed out last week also. Appreciate it.

Yard Dart likes this.
  10. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Well....the kid could be sitting around playing video games all the time! Good for you mom, no one knows how to raise a kid. They are all different and no operators manual comes with them! The best single thing you can do is to be involved! So, again, good job! :)

11. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Good on you for not discouraging his inquisitiveness..

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Maybe try heating the corn in a metal collander, to spread the heat evenly?

Seepalaces, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I'd leave the hole unrepaired as a reminder every time he sees it .

14. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

I'm sure the landlord will remind them when they move.

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. avagdu

avagdu Monkey++

Buy one of these. They work great and 1/2 cup unpopped corn takes about the same time to make as a microwave. It's simple, lightly coat the bottom of the pot with oil, put in corn - heat. When popping becomes rapid, turn handle - when popping stops remove from heat. Let stand for 2-3 minutes inside pot to crisp up. Salt, butter as desired and eat. Best popcorn ever.

Mindgrinder and Motomom34 like this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

The how to discussion has moved to a thinner pan. We need to find one that is not coated and we do have some wire that we can place over it. @avagdu I am going to check out that pan, Christmas is coming up.

17. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

1. Get him to research why/how popcorn pops.
    2. When he starts to understand it is the moisture trapped inside creating pressure, then have him explore how can he create the most even pressure throughout the kernel.
    3. Now experiment
    4. Rinse and repeat with next project.
    5. Hope he continues but not quite as far as the radioactive boy scout.
    https://harpers.org/archive/1998/11/the-radioactive-boy-scout/

Have fun.
    AT

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    chelloveck and Dunerunner like this.
  18. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

As a kiddo, we popped corn over a stove burner in a fry pan with a fitted lid. A bit a oil, a large handful popcorn and cover. Shake until all is popped.

Perhaps a single burner propane stove? (Many for under $20) (Texsport Etna Single Burner Propane Stove - MPN: 14204)
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I used to work with nuclear engineers at an offshoot of INEEL. One of them gave me a thick printout explaining how a fission reactor works than started to give me an overview. I summarized it with "Hot rocks go in water. Hot rocks make steam. Steam makes whirley thing go round and round. Whirley thing make sparkey thing go sparkey spark. Beer stays cold." She got a bit pissed off, so I asked her what part was wrong. We dated a few times after that...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    Dont and Ura-Ki like this.
  20. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Slow heat do the water on the inside pops

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7