Portable diesel heaters

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by JrOrtiz, Mar 17, 2021.

1. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

I have a plethora (I really like this word after watching the three amigos) of portable propane and white gas heaters. Am getting rid of the old Coleman white gas ones. I have used mr buddy's and and not convinced they are safe.

I have watched several installs of this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08T1JRB5R/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Not this exact model but similar ones. I have a palatial outhouse, yes I said palatial. It is about 45 ft sq but it has a 14 foot roof peak. I want to use this heater to keep me bum warm whilst on throne doing the king's business. I digress.

Does anyone have experience with these units. It is on the list of do to and will post my progress.

Tempstar likes this.
  2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I have the self contained kit version. They seem to work ok running open loop and do really well closed loop.

Altoidfishfins and JrOrtiz like this.
  3. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

I see I have much to learn from you. You are a smart guy who thinks outside the box.

4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The best thing about those is they are small and you can pipe the exhaust gas out side.

JrOrtiz likes this.
  5. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Ok educate me on this. The Amazon web page shows a bunch of parts.
    If I order one of these, will I have a complete diesel-fired heater with fuel tank, fan and combustion chamber?

6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

7. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

These things have their roots going back at least 35 years to a line of heaters made by a firm called Eberspacher, German I think. I believe there might have been a couple more firms back then doing the same. Cummins repackaged an Eberspacher unit with their own electronic controls and called it Thermostar and sold it from the later 80’s into the mid 90’s as I recall.

Truck drivers would often let their trucks idle overnight in cold weather to keep the cab and engine warm especially if they were in the sleeper. That was inefficient with the fuel. These Eberspacher heater units were plumbed into a truck’s cooling system with some solenoid valves and pumps. That could heat just the cab with the regular heater core and heater blower as this unit would pump hot water through it. It could heat the engine block, both or even operate on a timer or thermostat mode. They could even be rigged to keep the diesel fuel tanks warm to avoid waxing. They used a good bit of battery juice running the circulation pumps and valves all night but used far less fuel than idling an engine all night and in cold climates they could often pay for themselves in just a year or two.

Over time smaller units came out. With the advent of high pressure common rail fuel systems, diesels were much easier to start in the cold and engine block heaters were far less necessary. The heaters evolved to just be hot air cabin heaters to warm a truck cab before a mission or to keep the sleeper warm over night. These were also far less demanding on the electrical system over night. They are still typically diesel as that is the fuel most trucks still use and gasoline has some potential hazard issues diesel doesn’t.

Like everything else, the Chinese ripped off the ideas and made clones or similar products and many of those are what you see being used for all kind of heater needs.

I played a bit with the old Thermostar things back in the day, but have no experience with the current hot air units. I just know about bigger ones being used on trucks, buses, some RV’s, etc. to keep the “hotel” loads on the heat rejection from the engine being too high thus keeping the engine from reaching and maintaining proper temperatures for emission control.

What I do see in the Amazon photos of several of these are the following:
    Heater unit
    Fuel tank, fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel line
    Hot air duct, vent cover, air filter
    Flexible metal exhaust tubing, intake combustion air tube
    Electronic controls, remote control, wire harness
    Hardware, hose clamps, zip ties, mounting plate, etc. to do the install.
    Looks like most of what you need for a permanent installation is in the kit.

In case you don’t understand Oil Pan’s comment about open or closed loop. Open is the thing is just on and you turn it off or on as needed. Closed loop employs a cabin thermostat that kicks it on or off like on your house furnace.

Stay warm
    AT

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    JrOrtiz likes this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Thanks @Airtime
    Yes had one on a vessel / sailboat , wasabi / Eberspacher , German unit.

I was making sure they were the same thing i was thinking .
    Diesel is the farms go juice , & write off ,, wood shop has electric heat only , winter is when i need tools warm .
    Buddys right now are used ,, But Fiat is needed to be used or burnt .
    Sloth

Last edited: Mar 18, 2021
    JrOrtiz likes this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

In the olden days when I was a kid, we had a cabin in the mountains that used a fuel-oil heater. kerosene
    Basically, a gravity-fed oil stove that had no fan or pumps, that seemed to be very efficient. I wonder if diesel would work the same.
    Either way you go a stove pipe is going to be required.

JrOrtiz likes this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Those "pot burners" are illegal these days, too many fires due to incomplete understanding of how they work and misuse.

JrOrtiz and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We lived in a Pot Burning Diesel Cookstove heated cabin for 40 years... with no issues other than Chimney Sweeping once a year... Very reliable... Just do NOT have Propane use in the same building...

JrOrtiz and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Saw on a Youtube video, a guy broke down the expensive Webasto dry air diesel heater (used in RVs, trucks camper vans, boats, etc.) and the cheap Chinese copies. There is a good reason the Webasto is more expensive, the difference in build quality was very apparent. That Webasto will still be going strong when one is installing their fourth or fifth Chinese copy.

DKR, JrOrtiz and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  13. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

I think I found the video

Cruisin Sloth and Seawolf1090 like this.
  14. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

There are also several 'self-contained' diesel heaters. Just add DC and plumb the vent into your...throne room.

This will provide positive air pressure to move...errr, stack gas out the overhead vent of your privy.

Sample of one. (use self contained dieset heater) most on the UT are Hencho en China

JrOrtiz likes this.
  15. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

5KW will indeed warm your perch --
    Also, I'd be careful that the privy vent is at least the same size as the heater vent, preferably slightly larger. You do not need any obstruction to exhaust gas flow from the throne room. In fact it would be a good thing to ensure a draft INTO the poop chute room to make sure the royal tush isn't breathing fumes.

Cruisin Sloth and JrOrtiz like this.
  16. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Also, Webasco makes a gasoline heater for van installs

Had something like this on my VW Safari back in the day. Quality unit.

Tempstar and JrOrtiz like this.
  17. JrOrtiz

JrOrtiz Monkey

Thinking of putting it right beside the throne with air at ankle level. Put it on a timer for early morning. I need to insulate the ceiling and install a fan for a downdraft. All thing I should have done long before now.

This will provide positive air pressure to move...errr, stack gas out the overhead vent of your privy.

Sample of one. (use self contained dieset heater) most on the UT are Hencho en China

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2021
  18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep, thats it.

JrOrtiz likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7