Portable, Non Refrigerated Food List

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Jun 19, 2020.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, that could get exciting. Punch a hole in it if you insist on doing cans directly.

UncleMorgan likes this.
  2. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Lot of good posts here.

Exhaust manifolds: You don't need them. Just wire a foil packet of food on the front of the engine block anywhere there's some free space. It will get hot enough to cook, but won't incinerate your food.

Evaluate emergency travel chow for two basic criteria: energy density and laxative value. Taste and all that other civilized stuff weighs in after that.

Stress, hard exercise, poor sleep, and unfamiliar food can constipate a person very severely. Soldiers are well aware that it can kill a person--after it immobilizes them.

(Ask anyone who went through Boot Camp what happens on Day Ten.)

Apple sauce is a great choice, especially because it has a good bit of water in it, which also helps.
    Dried fruits are almost as good. Rehydrate them if possible, or drink a lot of water with them.

Energy density: popcorn doesn't cut it because it's mostly empty space. Grits are better. It's corn in an easy-to-cook format. But it packs dense.

Hog lard, because you can cook anything with it and it has a lot of food value. It helps off-set the lack of fat in most wild game. You can starve to death without enough fat in your diet. Pack it in high quality pouches or taped ziplock bags.

Salt and sugar are basic necessities.

Smoked hard sausage is a good dense protein source that packs well and goes with anything.

Cooking on the run is usually limited to stuff-on-a-stick, and soup. With maybe a bit of hot rock frying on the side.

Learning how to cook primitive doesn't take much time. All you have to do is walk out of the kitchen, and start a fire on the ground somewhere.

Once a day, every day.

Then, you eat what you cook until you get to the point that you can stand it. And, eventually, enjoy it. Everything after that is posh chefitry.

If you run out of prepared food, you need to know how to cook dead things. Or be a real whiz on edible plants. (You actually need both skill sets for you best chance of survival.)

Most people drastically underestimate the amount of calories they'll need to hike all day with a pack on their back. (Day after day after day...)

Figure 5,000 calories a day, minimum.

If you can get by on 4,000, that's great. It means you can do it for 20% longer than you planned.

Evasion and escape are very different from just bugging out well ahead of the herd--whether on foot or in a vehicle. But security is almost always critical. Learn how to build a cook fire with minimum smoke.

duane, Ganado, oldawg and 1 other person like this.
  3. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

not alot of decent access on the engine block and the whole manifold thing never was very good for modern cars >>> old days there was all kinds of side clearance of the engine (wide/big car compared to engine) and an easy reach down to the manifold ...

much better off using the upper radiator hose or heater hose - wire up a metal "hot box" to hold a punctured can or two of food works much better ...

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    duane likes this.
  4. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Something I just learned, is packing peanut butter and flour tortillas with a little honey. A Recon guy I know does this but I don’t know for how long or in what quantities. I will research this and see if I can find more info

jim

duane and natshare like this.
  5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

R (15).
    Seal up in a Ziploc bag after opening.... Or just eat it all. ;)

Shelf life is 5 years

duane, Homer Simpson and Motomom34 like this.
  6. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Honey never spoils. Peanut butter's good for years (longer, if you buy the powdered variety). The only thing that you're going to have to replace on a regular basis, is the tortillas.....which can be frozen, without detracting from the quality of them.

Buddy of mine used to have lunch every day: a couple taco sized flour tortillas, a can of tuna, and some mustard. He'd eat 2 tuna soft tacos, with mustard. Sounds pretty gruesome, but it worked for him! :rolleyes:

duane likes this.
  7. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf Monkey+++

Sampco Argentine shredded beef. Ready to eat. 3 lb foil bag costs about $20. Good shelf life.

duane likes this.
  8. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

Updated info.
    Two sources, two answers. One a civilian, says tortilla/honey/jelly/peanut butter good for four weeks plus just walking and not doing work. The other , a military SpecOps says he would start getting weak in two days using this diet. Stated additional food stuffs like jerky or small bags of meat have to be added. States trail mix with nuts, raisins,, M&Ms fortified by chopped up jerky would be much better nutrition over the long haul. Any canned meat, even Spam, would be a good addition. And of course lotsa water and water filters.
    I am thinking that small dried or summer sausages, dried fruit and hard tack or Pinole would be an option also.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    duane and Brokor like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

@Ganado
    My bad, I posted that over on another site (Survivalist boards)

10. jim2

jim2 Monkey+++

I also find that vacuum bagging the tortillas gives them a 1-2 year shelf life depending on temps. Don’t over vacuum or you will get one very thick tortilla.

Jim

11. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Good idea, but remember, you can also make tortillas really easy, too. You could keep wheat berries and grind them or keep the flour itself stable for a much longer time.

1. Brokor
  2. Brokor
  3. oil pan 4
  4. JC Refuge
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. JC Refuge
  8. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Dunerunner
  10. jefferson
  11. jefferson
  12. Motomom34
  13. Dunerunner
  14. Coyote Ridge
  15. DKR
    [IMG]...
    Thread by: DKR, Dec 25, 2021, 10 replies, in forum: Off Grid Living
  16. ditch witch
  17. Dunerunner
  18. Ganado