Possible long-range effects?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Seacowboys, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Where is this going? New Orleans is the port where all (not most, all) of our grains from the mid-west are loaded and transported overseas. How is this going to effect the already struggling farm industry? Who is going to hurt most? I'm no rocket scientist, but this appears to be a major serious problem that no-one is mentioning yet; should we just close our eyes and wait for it to bite us on the ass?
    New Orleans is one of the busiest ports in the world and probably, world-wide, the single most important one and it is closed indifinately. I'm hearing projections of maybe two years before it returns to full operations. Friends, I'm not scared of the devil, but this is starting make me cringe.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'm with you SC.

This is far from over and If possible, I'd round out that long-term shopping list.

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I already thought of that...Coming from Charleston, SC originally...we had a huge port there and very busy...I knew NO rivaled it and beat it...I am wondering if they are going to reroute everything now , right away...???

We have a pretty busy port here too...

and this is going to sound ridiculous..but I don't care...I love Hot Sauce and tobasco...specifically the one that comes from New Iberia , LA...I went and bought a few bottles the day after the storm..... :oops:

Just didn't want to run out.... :rolleyes:

4. nope

nope Monkey+++ Founding Member

We were just talking about this today. It is very scarry to imagine how much of an impact this will have on all of us besides fuel. I think the economy was slow already despite reports it was growing and this will bring it to a halt I am afraid.

CRC I am hoping they redirect to other ports soon so this doesn't affect too bad. Besides it will allow some refugee's jobs again especially the one's who previously worked at the ports in NO.

5. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I fear the Worst for Tabasco... Avery Island plant's customer service went to a 'not available' message when I called on Thurday. LOL, I added 10 large bottles to my canned good stock. Also grabbed some Soy and Worschestire sauce

6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

While it may not be over all ideal, at least as far as the two main things I know of that relied on the port, importing oil and exporting grain, the loss of the two can somewhat balance each other. The grains that would otherwise be exported could be used in make methanol to use as fuel or at least greatly extend what oil we have. Its not a good thing since I know there are a lot of other things comeing and going there and even the solution on those two isnt ideal but may help that they can interchange a bit.

7. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

I'm thinking like CRC here, Charleston and the Alabama State Docks can take up the slack.

8. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Don't worry about Avery Island, they are a good ways from NO and to the West. I used to drive by there when I was detailed in that area. They should not have lost power as they are closer to Lafayette than New Orleans. I always wanted to stop by and take a plant tour, but I didn't have the time. I will one day though. Someone told me they didn't work every day, and that they actually took weeks off at a time, so maybe that is the case.

9. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

We have a really busy port here too...In Fernandina Beach....Big business here...

Right on the tip top NE coast of FL....Might get busier soon.....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7