Possible new category in forum?

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by rsbhunter, Jan 16, 2012.

1. rsbhunter

rsbhunter Monkey+

I was just curious as to why there is no topic on cabins/shelters/living quarters in the forum.....I might have missed it, and if i did, i apoligize...There are alot of people on the forum that have alot to share about building, improving, and general set up of a building project, or an existing one...Thanks for reading this...rsbhunter

rjdawley1957 likes this.
  2. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

Well rsbhunter. That is actually a good question. You have made a really good point my young friend. Maybe we should bring that up to Melbo. Since I am a retired framer (wood butcher) that may be a good thing.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If you guys want to test it out a bit, start a thread on (say) " Shelter, temporary, alternative and/or permanent." There's already quite a bit here, yurts, tepees, earthship, containers, and so on, but it isn't all in one place as you know. If the thread gets enough play, we can "stick" it for starters, and maybe eventually give it a home of its own.

Gotta say that most folks are in what might be termed a permanent place already, with BOL ideas either in place or in planning. Based on my own observations and experience, coming up with "how to" implement the planning would be welcome along with "things to consider" in the planning process. Something almost always gets forgotten; invariably a blivit shows up when least expected.

If I were in charge of this operation, I'd ask that a volunteer go thru the forum and gather links to all the other threads and mentions (thread link and post number if other than a casual mention) and post them in the new thread. We had an exercise like that with another subject, and it worked well enough. A monumental task it was, and took one guy quite a bit of time. Now running smoothly, I'll add.

4. peanut

peanut Monkey+

It's a good idea. I'd be interested in that topic.

5. Nadja

I have been looking around some of the other forum's and found some good advice and some really bad advice. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a separate thread or whatever here, where we can weed out the bad and dangerous advice before people get hurt.

For instance, I just looked at another site where a guy was thinking he could build a permanent shelter with visqueen and a hand axe. Scooze me ? In N.W. Canada no less. All I can picture is a large tent like structure made out of incredibly thin plastic sheeting, that would collapse down the first mild snow. Not to mention the freezing if it didn't collapse. This shows me that there are a lot of people out there that don't have a clue of how to build anything safe and might I add warm !

So do you all out there want to get a forum going ? Lets hear it to see if it is worth Melbo's time to build it before we jump into it.

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nadja... Check the Posting date for that "Bad advice"... You may find that it was posted during the summer.... Lots of folks think that what summers are like, is good year round, up here in the North Country. When they spend their first winter here, they LEARN differently... very fast... ...... YMMV....

hank2222 and Nadja like this.
  7. Nadja

Actually Bruce, it was just posted . There are people on these sites that have no real clue of how brutal winters can be. We have been down to -25. But last winter only went down to -22. Can anyone imagine what living in a piece of plastic in these temps would be like ? Bruce what is your temps like right now ?
    Wonder how Cordova is like being it is in S.W. Alaska, not far from where this person wants to "hide out"

hank2222 likes this.
  8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

We have 9F this morning and 15 Kt winds from the North.... It is Dang cold out.... Blue Sky Sunshine, while the sun is above the horizon.... Cordova is NOT in Southwest Alaska, but on the southern central coast. just about 350 miles North of "Me"... Southwest alaska is like Bristol Bay and the Alaskan Peninsula Region. Colder on the North side (Bearing Sea side), and Warmer on South side. (Pacific side). Those are relative terms up here in Alaska. Cordova usually sees similar Temps as we do, but the Jet Stream has been farther north for the last month, or so, and they have been getting dumped on, while we have been mostly Rain. that has changed this last week and the Siberian Express has been running, bringing very cold Russian Air, across the Bering Sea, and down the Southeastern Alaska coast, and thru Canada clear to Seattle, which is getting their first snowstorm of the winter. We do not expect any change in this pattern, for at least one more week. This is typical Wx for us in Jan and Feb. Been watching for the Aurora, to be pulsing in the Northern Sky, while it is clear. If we get some I hope to get pictures, that I can post. so far not much going on. Sun has been a bit quiet for the last few weeks. ..... YMMV.....

hank2222 likes this.
  9. rsbhunter

rsbhunter Monkey+

Shelter/cabins/tempory and permanent

Started a new post!!!! Lets see what happens! Thanks for the support, and all the smart people out there willing to share.....rsbhunter

10. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Thank you for the suggestion. As a rule, we try to let new forum ideas let us know when they are needed. In other words, if we have so many posts on a specific topic in: Back to basics, General Survival or Off Grid Living, we'll think about the need to prune those threads off into a new forum.

Problem is that in Internet forums, the 'build it and they will come' doesn't always work. Ask ghrit about his 6 year old motorcycle thread...

Shelters fit into all three of the above mentioned categories and we'll watch to see the level of interest in the topic you've floated.

Thanks again,

hank2222 and BTPost like this.
  11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yeah, the M/C shop got a lot of attention initially, but it faded to a now and then deal. We've seen that happen rather more or less often. Subjects come and go, but having them available for search is a good thing. That said, this idea could become a resource, whether in its own home or searchable.

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Not many of us ride bikes. Probably not many will actually build shelters, but it's a good topic for gathering knowledge.

13. Nadja

Lets try this then. How about if you think about haveing to leave your permanant bol and were forced to build something to give you a sense of being in the woods, far out with no people around you. What and how would you build it ?

14. larryinalabama

larryinalabama Monkey++

? how to post

15. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

MC wasn't much of apart of my summer due to moving and breaking my leg followed by titanium rebuild of it. Next summer hopefully will be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Nadja

In all honesty, I really don't see much interest in starting a new column on "building" etc. I think that for general info, you can just post it here, and people will still advise etc as nec or requested. Thanks for the inquiry though

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7