Recipe Pot Lickker Soup (greens, beans, ham, onions) "awesome flavor"

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by tacmotusn, Nov 15, 2014.

Tags:
  1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Pot Licker soup. This recipe happened by accident. I was wanting to add a little additional flavor to what otherwise was going to be a tasty multi dry bean soup mix. I was looking for canned cabbage (I had no fresh on hand), and I found 2 big cans (28 ounce each) a seasoned (Margaret Holmes) turnip greens that needed to be used up (or lose them).
    First off, I use a small 8 quart presto pressure cooker for lots of my cooking to speed things up. Things that would have to cook for hours can be done in minutes. Amazon.com: Presto 01370 8-Quart Stainless Steel Pressure Cooker: Kitchen & Dining ** this pan is induction cooktop ready ** I love the temp control on my nuwave precision induction counter top burner.
    You can adapt this to either a regular pot on top of the stove that you normally use to make bean soup or a slow cooker. Whatever you are comfortable with. It's about the ingredients coming together in one pot with a wonderful flavor. How you get there can be a number of different paths.
    I started with a 16 ounce package of 9 or 15 dry bean mix with ham flavor packet.
    1 large sweet onion (the size of a softball) chopped
    1 pound of ham seasoning meat (I buy small picnic, front shoulder, hams when on sale and have the butcher slice them into crossways thick slices 1" thick) ... (one small ham will get me 6 or 7 quart freezer bags of seasoning meat). You could use ham hocks. 2 would do it.
    1 envelope recipe secrets onion flavor
    2 cans 28 oz Margaret Holmes "seasoned southern style" Turnip Greens
    1 teaspoon minced garlic (1 or 2 fresh cloves)
    1 teaspoon vinegar (any will do)
    1 teaspoon hot sauce (ditto)
    save any other seasoning tricks you may have until soup is done and adjust for you or your family at that point. actually for a few of you, you might want to hold off on the hot sauce for the same reason.
    soak beans over night or quick soak (bring to a boil well covered with water only, remove from heat for 1 hour). drain beans, cover with 6 cups fresh water. add chopped onions, ham seasoning meat, and all the rest to include the ham seasoning packet that came with the beans. add a bit more water to bring up to about 2.5 inches from top of the 8 qt cooker (that is about as high as you want to go in a pressure cooker). Lock the lid in place, crank up the heat, once the lid locks (by steam pressure) (or is up to pressure 10 pounds), start your timer and cook for 60 minutes. You should be able to lower the temperature on any pressure cooker once it is up to pressure without dropping below 10 pounds, and thus not burning things in bottom of pot or losing excessive water (steam) while cooking. Once the hour is up, remove from heat and allow to cool down by slow method. You can serve this with some good cornbread and sliced fresh tomatoes to round out the meal.
    I think you will be very pleasantly surprised with what you have put together quite easily. Enjoy. Tac

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014
  2. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Thanks tac, great recipe. You might also try with "johnny" cake instead of cornbread as it holds up better to dunking.

tacmotusn likes this.
  3. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Nice recipe, I need to make me a good ham & bean soup now.

tacmotusn likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[applaud]@tacmotusn sounds amazing and easy to make. Thanks for sharing I will be trying this.

tacmotusn likes this.
  5. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I will give it a try this winter, thanks

tacmotusn likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. Yard Dart
    [IMG]
    Thread by: Yard Dart, Mar 20, 2020, 10 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  3. sec_monkey
    Blueberry fritters enjoy (y) (y) Blueberry Fritters
    Thread by: sec_monkey, Jun 8, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Recipes