potassium dichromate

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by E.L., Sep 18, 2005.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Even worse I am also allergic to Potassium Dichromate which is used to treat leather. Due to the latter, I have had a rash from wearing leather boots that developed into a staph. infection, and the rash I have had for 16 months. After five visits to regular physicians and three different dermatologist they finally figured it out.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

So what are you going to do for leather boots? Can the allergist make a serum to mimic the anti bodies to block it? to keep the anti bodies from fighting it??

3. Quigley_Sharps

Sorry man I guess your going to have to go vegan :eek: on us now, flannel boy. :lol:
    J/K

4. E.L.

I found out that as long as the leather doesn't get wet or if I wear socks long enough to cover all of the calf and prevent the wet leather from touching my skin I will be okay. When I first got the rash I was wearing some boots that were really tall, needless to say while clearing land my legs sweated and the socks got pushed down, then I had this bad rash. I am looking at some boots that aren't all leather, with lots of cordura like the Danner Acadia's. I will also be wearing thick, tall socks!

5. Quigley_Sharps

Roger man that’s gotta suck.
    What do they use the Potassium Dichromate for, if it’s not the tanning then maybe Ostrich or gator boots?

6. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Or while it would cost more, if you found someone who could make them then you could tan your own leather with brain tan and have them made from that. Thats a sucky deal.

7. E.L.

Hopefully I will get over it. I have found that allergies I used to have don't bother me anymore. I have gone through two rounds of shots in the last ten years, and I have been allergy tested about four times. Each time some of the allergens don't get a reaction like they did previously.

Here is the info they gave me on the Potassium Dichromate "Leather goods are threated with Chromates and may cause you to have a rash. This is usually a problem when the leather becomes wet by sweat or moisture from other sources. Some chromate-allergic people have no trouble with leather shoes as long as they wear socks and their shoes don't get wet."

Just something I will have to learn to deal with. :evil: I love leather!

8. Quigley_Sharps

IMPORTANT PATIENT INFORMATION

T.R.U.E. TEST indicates that you have a contact allergy to potassium dichromate, a chromium salt. This test indicates that you are allergic to chromium, a mineral found in chrome steel and stainless steel, chrome plating, cement, and leather.

Contact of this substance with your skin may result in dermatitis. Other factors may or may not be related to your condition. Your physician will counsel you on appropriate management of your dermatitis.

Where Chromium Salts Are Found:

Chromium salts, or chromates, are found in many products and materials, especially in industry. Concrete and construction workers are two groups at risk for chromate allergy since chromate is found in cement, mortar, plaster, drywall, bricks, yellow paints, etc. Other occupational exposures occur from industrial chemicals, engraving and printing chemicals, some paints and inks, some wood preservatives, and photographic developing chemicals.

Away from the workplace, the major source of chromate exposure is leather. The majority of leather goods, including shoes and gloves, are tanned with chromates. Chromates may also be found in phosphate-containing detergents, shoe polishes, safety matches, green dyes used in felt and some textiles, and some cosmetics. Internal exposure may come from orthopedic and dental implants, pacemaker wires, vitamin supplements, and medications such as chromium picolinate. The amount of chromate in food and water is unknown and is thought to be too low to pose a problem in most individuals.

How to Avoid Chromium Salts:

In the workplace, avoid construction materials. Even the dust or fumes from chromate-containing products should be avoided. It is best to identify potential sources of exposure using Material Safety Data Sheets.

Avoid leather unless vegetable tannins, not chromate, have been used in tanning. For those with shoe dermatitis from chromate and leather, wearing heavy socks and reducing perspiration and moisture may help to reduce dermatitis.

Because chromates occasionally are found in cosmetics, it is important to use only ingredient-labeled cosmetics that do not list potassium dichromate or any of its synonyms on the label.

Inform your healthcare providers (including dentists) that you have an allergy to potassium dichromate.

Note: These are general guidelines for avoiding this particular allergen in your daily activities. Please consult your physician regarding specific additional instructions for you.

Synonyms/Components of Chromium Salts:

Chromium Chrome
    Chromate Chromite
    Potassium dichromate

How to Read Product Labels:

Now that you know the substances to which you are allergic, make a list, perhaps on a small card, of the names of these substances to take with you when shopping.

Before purchasing a product that may come in contact with your skin, look for its list of ingredients. The list of ingredients may be anywhere on the package. Read the list carefully to see if any of the names are on the list. If so, ask your pharmacist or physician for a suitable alternative. Then check that product against your list.

When a product is not packaged, does not have a list of ingredients, or lists only the active ingredients, you have several choices: (1) find an alternative that does list all ingredients, (2) contact the manufacturer for a full list of ingredients, or (3) ask your pharmacist or physician for a suitable alternative.

Material Safety Data Sheets:
    Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) are required for all chemicals and substances that workers contact in the workplace. These sheets list chemicals that are known to be hazardous or poisonous. Read these sheets carefully to see whether the lists contain the name of the chemical to which you are allergic or any of its synonyms. Please note, however, that MSDS sheets do not list specific chemicals to which only a few people may be allergic. There is often little detailed information regarding exact chemicals, and only those substances in concentrations greater than 1% must be listed. If the chemical to which you are allergic is not listed, and for some reason you suspect it could be in a particular product, contact the supplier to find out whether the chemical is in the product. MSDS sheets usually contain telephone numbers of suppliers where you can get more information. When requesting ingredient information, be sure to state all of the chemical synonyms or other names for your allergen.

Examples of Products:

This brief list is intended to provide a few examples; it is not intended as a comprehensive listing of all products in these categories. This information is subject to change without notice. Products are frequently reformulated by their manufacturers. Even with products you may have used with confidence in the past, read product labels carefully before use to be assured that they do not include this allergen.

Examples of Products FREE Potassium Dichromate

Shoes

Canvas Keds® Dress shoes with synthetic plastic uppers (i.e. Plastic or wooden clogs)
    Hush Puppies Women’s Shoes

Sandals

Panache - H70477 (Dress Shoe) Antigua - H71001(Sandal)
    Roma - H71061(Mule) Pisa - H73468 (Sling-Back)
    St. Martin - H71022 (Sandal) Scala - H74571(Sandal)
    Pretend - H74743 (Dress Shoe) Venice - H71031(Dress Sandal)

Page - H72222 (Dress Sandal) Vista - H72293 (Dress Sandal)
    Galleria - H70811(Dress Sandal) Pretend - H74743 (Sling-Back)
    Boots

Charity II - H74891
    Boundry - H74886
    Rockland - H74897 Mandy II - H74895

9. Quigley_Sharps

check this out EL, I hope this hepls ya
    http://survivalmonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7821#7821

10. E.L.

Thanks a bunch Quig! Good info. I think I will be best served wearing my socks higher and not wearing the really tall boots. I also have some really tall and thick socks that I use when wearing my motocross boots so I might buy a few more pair of them. Part of my problem is that my calves are huge, almost the same circumfrence as my thighs. Since they are so big, they rub the inside of my taller boots. I think that is part of the problem. So I will have to go to shorter boots, and taller, thicker socks. If that doesn't work, then I may be looking for some wooden clogs.

11. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Maybe you should start wearing some Cork Bottomed sandals.... I think Birks come with synthetic uppers. I promise we won't make too much fun of you...

btw, melbo wears Birks as the in and out of the house slip ons. Mrs. melbo has a fit when I run in and out with my boots on

12. E.L.

Actually, that sounds comfortable for around the house stuff.

13. E.L.

Thanks Quig! You are the man!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7