Practical acquisition of calories in Hawaii when SHTF

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Alanaana, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Aloha Everyone, Over the last four years I've been thinking about the most practical ways I could feed myself in the hopefully unlikely event that Hawai'i becomes fully cut off from the mainland. My concerns are that Hawai'i either quarantines in the event that a very deadly virus emerges, or that maybe a nuclear event could take place. Fortunately the Big Island has no meaningful military presence and its so far away from Honolulu that even 2 Tsar bomba's exploding simultaneously at Pearl Harbor would have zero effect on us here. I currently live on the Big Island out in the agricultural district in a place Hawaiian Paradise Park. I love it here because you can live in a yurt full time without a permit, there is true fiber internet, water is free, and the property taxes as barely anything. Oh yeah, and there's a trillion feral pua's (Hawaiian Pigs) that run through my land on a regular basis.

Now these pigs are absolutely down right delicious. You certainly have to cook them well, but they're really like the heirloom strain of pigs. They were brought over maybe a thousand years ago or so and each generation just seems to be tastier. Rumor has it there are 2 pigs per human but I'm not sure anyone has an accurate count.

Without further ado, I want to share my strategy I've come up with for surviving and ask you guys a few questions regarding the struggles I've had or may have.

I cordially invite others to comment on, use, or poke holes in my survival strategy.

Summary: In the event of an emergency, I've prioritized the the following skills, abilities, and supplies.

• The ability to trap hogs.
    • The ability to grow black beans
    • How to avoid psychopaths, narcissists, and thieves
    • Stocking up on snares, dental floss, 90 days of food
    • Learning how to catch birds and make ammunition for a high HPS air rifle.

At first, I thought I would learn how to shoot pigs with a bow and arrow. Although I was able to effectively hit pigs in the heart they would simply run onto someone else's property before dying. On each occasion they went onto the same property, and the owner refused to let me retrieve the animals. The man turned the pigs into smoked sausages and gave me a small, token amount. Seriously, who does that? He better hope there are pigs to eat when SHTF....

I did some research and after watching plenty of Youtube videos and reading forums I obtained several dozen snare traps. This seemed like the best light weight budget tool that I could use to catch pigs. I set one up, and after about a month of doing nothing I caught a pig.

Killing the pig was absolutely terrifying. It was about 260 lb's of tusks and ferociousness. I had to tie a long, thick nylon rope to the base tree because my snare lead wasn't long enough to catch this hog on his regular path so when I saw he was there, he had about 12 feet of slack to charge me..

I think people call this "dragging", but I'm not 100% sure. I could definitely be wrong. Anyways, I shot him in the head and he died. (proof attached)
    20230128_173037.

So what was pretty challenging was moving the pig, hanging it, removing the hair, and skinning it sanitarily. I had to use a motor vehicle and my neighbors for every part of it, so maybe quartering it on site would be more practical for someone my size? It was pretty challenging to do it all.

The next phase of my survival plan is to grow black beans with the phosphorous from the bones of my victims, and the ashes of burned guava trees.

My rationale is that:
    1. Bones are around 3:15:0 NPK
    2. The green waste is probably 2:1:2 NPK because the nitrogen burns quickly in the heat
    3. NPK of wood ash is 0 1-3.
    So if I use the Berkeley method to make a 1 gallon pot of compose I'm thinking I could grow 8 bean bushes in it and use about 3.5 ounces of bone meal, 11 oz of guava wood ash as fertilizer. The soil oughta weight about 12lb, so that's maybe 4 ounces of nitrogen, which is more than beans need.

Please let me know what you think! 20230128_175419.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2023
    oldawg, Brokor, Dunerunner and 3 others like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Learn how to smoke your own meat, Tell the neighbor to suck it.

3. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Yes! That's the plan!

Dunerunner, oldawg and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

What Gator said. A chintzy neighbor in times of plenty points to trouble post SHTF.

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Alanaana like this.
  6. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@oldawg Yes, that neighbor has turned into a bit of an oddball especially more recently so it's good to keep my distance.

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  7. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

Build a trebuchet.

Dunerunner, Alanaana and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Well, yeah! He probably ran out of sausage, and is wondering when you plan on shooting his next pork supply? :rolleyes:;):ROFLMAO:

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Alanaana like this.
  9. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

This sounds like a fun project! I took 4 years of Latin in high school and my school hosted the NJCL (National Junior Classical League) convention my freshman year. My project group built a large catapult with 2x4s and won our division. That brings back good memories (feels like a lifetime ago) and I haven't built one since, but maybe I should for kicks.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Meat like this.
  10. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

@natshare I'm laughing so hard right now. That's probably it. This week he tried to offer us beans, edamame, spaghetti, and waffles and we had to courteously decline the bounty because I'm trying to do the Keto thing.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Meat like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Gecko enjoying the fountain
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 26, 2024 at 4:03, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    My outdoor orchid blossomed today!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 22, 2024 at 19:09, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    It's time for my yearly lychee progress picture!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 21, 2024 at 2:26, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  8. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  9. Alanaana
  10. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  13. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
  17. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  18. Alanaana
  19. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7