Practicing for TEOTWAWKI?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minuteman, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

We might take some lessons from this guy. In a SHTF this may be a way to survive. Or get shot. Have to do some serious reconnoitering first!!!

He's eluded authorities for more than five years, a mountain man who roams the wilderness of southern Utah, breaking into remote cabins in winter, living in luxury off hot food, alcohol and coffee before stealing provisions and vanishing into the woods.

Mountain man invades cabins, lives in luxury - US news - Life - msnbc.com

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Great, now there is a picture of me on the internet, LOL. Would like to talk to this guy and learn some things.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Breaking into people's cabins, stealing food, camping gear and guns, destroying private property, threatening other folks......

I see a bullet in this barstage's future....... hopefully before he kills some innocent person.

He's no survivalist - he's not one to be idolized or learned from - he's a criminal. Nothing more.

Alpha Dog, Falcon15 and chelloveck like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The USA doesn't have a monopoly on criminals on the run

We have one of those on the run in Northern NSW. Wanted for a couple of crimes that would be hanging offences in some States in the USA.....he's more than just an oxygen thief. You are right....he has zip to do with prepping or survivalism....just someone who's got a head start in the golden horde business.

The actual training for preppers, is in learning to deal with these parasites....Opsec, retreat hardening, camouflage and concealment of valuables, drills for dealing with intruders, weapon handling and range training, intelligence gathering, cooperation with neighbours, early warning systems and remote surveillance....that is the real training value. The threat is not just theoretical...

5. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Taking other peoples stuff fits the biblical for a breaker of the commandments, that a given, but looking at what he is doing, its what we will all be doing post government failure. To his beliefs I sure he feels what he is doing is right, to him it is post shtf. We can learn here even when we think he is wrong.

Mountainman likes this.
  6. weegrannymush

weegrannymush Monkey+

Given the unwritten code of hospitality in the wilderness, this man is a fool.....he could have food, shelter, warmth, no questions asked....the only criterion being to leave the place as you found it and replace firewood if you could. But no, he has to trash and destroy. Sounds VERY sick in the head, to me. And he is definitely setting himself up for a bullet as everyone's desire for retribution grows.

chelloveck and Cephus like this.
  7. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

Don't get all bent out of shape here guys and gals. Know one here is saying this guy is some kind of hero, he is a thief and a vandal and there probably will be a bullet in his future.

I will still stand by my statement about wanting to learn from this guy. ANYONE that can elude the police for over 5 years can teach me anytime they want. Know one needs to learn the theft and vandalism parts, even morons know how to do that.

VisuTrac and Falcon15 like this.
  8. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Was there not another one up north awhile back ? Barefoot Bandit...

9. Kajungizmo

Kajungizmo Monkey+++

My bet is he's losing it. His note "Get off my mountain", IMO, means he can't stand being alone anymore and is craving the attention.
    I won't deny he's got skills. 5 years of evasion in 1000 square miles means he knows the land. And he's been determined, well, at least this long. Granny's right though. Don't go trashin' somebody's stuff, else you might just find a bullet your head.

Cephus likes this.
  10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

What the government doesn't have FLIR and Drones that can loiter to spot the dude?
    They aren't trying very hard.

11. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Should have added a disclaimer. Like MM said it's the evade and survive aspect of what he is doing that could be learned from not the criminal acts.
    I was thinking more along the lines of post TETWAWKI. There will be thousands of vacation cabins and homes in remote areas that could provide a source for needed supplies. Many would never see their previous owners again. In a situation like that it would be a dog eat dog world and a lot of civilised manners would go out the window.

Mountainman and VisuTrac like this.
  12. -06

-06 Monkey+++

Will probably find out that he is just a local who is running out to the neighbors houses for groceries instead of the store.
    If you want a real BO experience come to our gathering this spring. It is themed a BO experience so we can put into practice what we talk about. Went to one in Ocala, Fla. several yrs ago--good experience.

13. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

There was one around here 7 or 8 years ago but a freshly stocked cabin, a hole in the floor with a rug over it and a bear trap an old guy mistakenly left under the rug in the hole ended his quick get away record. The old guy said he is glad he remembered he had a accidently left the trap set and returned to secure it before anyone got hurt, but was to late. He honestly felt bad for the guy when we interviewed him. I hate when I run off and leave the coffee pot on so I could only imagen how this man felt. Haha:D

14. Midnightblue72

Midnightblue72 Monkey++

Coming from a logistical standpoint, what he is doing, isnt quite amazing. Many rural sheriff's departments have just a few deputies to cover several HUNDRED square miles. The FBI makes it pretty clear that he is not a suspect in federal crimes, leaving the logistical nightmare of tracking and capturing this knucklehead to the local boys.

So, let's say your rural department has 15 deputies including management (just an example, not actual staffing levels).

Day shift: 7

Swings: 5

Graves: 3

Pulling resources to attempt to track someone over a HUGE area like this would be futile, so far, he is only suspected in petty crime. Unless they form a joint task force with surrounding agencies and a HUGE budget for overtime, then the only way this guy is going to get caught is, if he stumbles into someone.

Unlike television, the local boys wont be in ghillie suits and spider holes waiting to ambush this guy or running in the hills with tracking dogs.
    Being alone in the hills for years, difficult, having resources like coffee, long term store able food, shelter and water, not as difficult but difficult.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7