Practicing part of being a good hunter

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by Bishop, Aug 3, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I like to hunt be it with a rifle a pistol a knife a blow gun a David sling a atlatl a spear slingshot or a bow the best way to become good or even great is to practice and how to take criticism or to critique your self to understand why it's not working or why it works the way it does and not get mad I have seen people get mad throw things kick dirt and none of it helps do here is 8 shots from my recurve bow at 18 and 15 yards not my tightest group but plenty good enough for hunting

2. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Pretty tight grouping. Practice makes perfect.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It's said that world ranking athletes practice and train...not so as to get their skills right.....but so as not to let their skills get it wrong when they are needed at the critical moment.

There is certainly satisfaction to be gained by noticing the arc of steady improvement as a result of committed practice. Improving mastery is very satisfying.

Tully Mars and Altoidfishfins like this.
  4. duane

duane Monkey+++

I have noticed that here in New England it seems to be the custom to buy a box of 20 rounds for dad's old 30-30, shoot 3 to "sight it in" take 10 rounds with you to hunt, and have a box of ammo last 4 or 5 years, that there is a lot of complaining about the ones that got away. Buy a license, drive 70 miles to a strange woods, wander around for 6 hours in the woods once a year, don't target shoot or get to know the woods, and complain about the hunting being no good and how it was so much better in dad's time. Neglecting to mentioned that their dad practiced shooting and shot the deer on his own land and that he had probably watched it grow up for the last 4 years.

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

It ain't only in N.E. Every place I've ever hunted has their share of Joe Six Packs.

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  6. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Practice is important for sure. You owe it to the game to kill them clean. Good grouping , love instinct shooting. Wish I had my eyes back.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Tully Mars like this.
  7. Tully Mars

[ditto][chopper]

chelloveck and sec_monkey like this.
  8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

This guy always comes to mind when I look at Idiots hunting. He leaves a stone broad head in a deer by using a weak bow . Most any modern bow would have killed this deer. So not only practice but equipment as well. Know your weapon and what it will do before subjecting an animal to it.

9. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

This guy was on Naked and Afraid twice. LOL.

10. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Looked like he hit it pretty far back.

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

The shot was a bit back and high but my crossbow with an expandable spitfire would have passed through and bled that deer out inside of 100 yards with the same hit. Stupidity, poor equipment and lack of practice all lead to these types of wounding and or lost animals. Deer probably died of infection two weeks later.

12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It didn't appear to have much of a tip on the arrow any way.

13. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I would never try what that dude did. Made zero sense. All the dramatic music the suspense and all, the deer walks out into the lane and he sticks it with that weakly tossed stick. He should get slapped for even trying it. Look at the arrow close as he draws it. Its not straight, it has bumps and crap on it. How accurate could it have been? Even with enough practice there is no guarantee it flies straight. Practice makes perfect but you need to use equipment that will do the job as well.

Tully Mars likes this.
  14. Tully Mars

Made all the sense in the world if you are just looking for your 15 minutes of fame at the expense of an innocent creature. This kind of stuff makes my blood boil. As I sit here posting to the entire innerweb I will say I would gladly shoot that asshat and those like him before shooting a deer.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a hunter and I have no issue with harvesting game in a humane manner. That was not humane. Wounding an animal and when they escape you insure it of a slow death just because you are too self absorbed to give a $h!t?
    Turn and face the ditch please..

Kingfish likes this.
  15. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

No matter the method, I was taught by my father to harvest game in a humane manner. My Dad was a big dude at 6 foot 4 inches and about 240 pounds. We kept hounds and he hunted most everything. I was taught to shoot at age 8 with a daisy bb gun. I was given a .22 rifle and a .410 shotgun at 14. I had my first deer rifle right after that. I didnt start bow hunting until I turned 25. I saw it as a way to hunt deer for more than 14 days per year. I learned the hard way that weak bows were not going to put food on the table. I was very lucky on my first two deer kills with a cheap take down Bear 76er recurve. If I had not known the land I would have lost both of them. Once I started using modern compound bows I never looked back. More power, pass through shots, equal more blood for tracking. Even then I still lost 4 deer in almost 40 years of hunting. Three with a bow and one with a 30-06 rifle. One of those deer made me give up using a bow with no sights. I had my eyes checked and discovered I had diabetes. I had to go to all scoped weapons or quit hunting altogether. Since then I have a scoped Thompson center rifle. Killed a couple deer with it. None lost. I shoot a scoped Wicked Ridge crossbow. Killed a bunch of deer with it. None lost. Back in the game with practice and better equipment. The two go hand in hand.

Motomom34 and Tully Mars like this.
  16. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

I was told by my Father that professionals trained until they were sure that every shot they made was next to perfect, those not doing it for a living only trained until they could make a perfect shot. If you have to live by your shooting, the difference might be noticeable. JMHO.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2017
  17. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

An amateur trains until he gets it right. A professional trains UNTIL HE CANT GET IT WRONG. A special forces guy told me that once. He was the best I ever saw.

M118LR likes this.
  18. sccyy1

sccyy1 Monkey+

Things are a lot like they used to be than they are now.

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hm. Well, I don't see any regression to the way things used to be these days ---

20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I found a archery range in Oakland california and went practicing .
    I thought i was doing pretty good @ 20 yards ,till some kids came in and had grouping that arrows were in the bulls eye touching .
    Nothing like kids to show you up.
    I just spent my remaining time watching and learning.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. Bishop
  3. 3M-TA3
  4. Bishop
    Thread

Air javelin

Just got this in and I am liking it. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, May 18, 2021, 5 replies, in forum: Firearms
  5. Bishop
  6. Bishop
    Just got these in the mail today. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Jul 24, 2020, 0 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  7. Bishop
  8. Bishop
  9. Bishop
  10. Bishop
    Here's my pCP 22 caliber air gun. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 24, 2019, 4 replies, in forum: Firearms
  11. Bishop
    Thread

Red fish

Went out fishing in the air boat. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 21, 2019, 13 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  12. Bishop
  13. Bishop
    Thread

Swiss arrow

Hey made up a Swiss arrow set up. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 18, 2019, 5 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  14. Bishop
  15. Bishop
    Thread

Fire piston

Made a little fire with my fire piston. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 17, 2019, 6 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  16. Bishop
    Well I was out shooting my starship today. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 16, 2019, 7 replies, in forum: Bushcraft
  17. Bishop
  18. Bishop
    The 48 inch hobow [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Aug 14, 2019, 0 replies, in forum: Functional Gear & Equipment
  19. Bishop
  20. Bishop
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7