Pray for Bear - tsunami

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by melbo, Feb 27, 2010.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Tsunami is 20 minutes from hitting his island.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Have you heard from him? I don't know which island he's on, but the Big Island is supposed to be first in line.

3. melbo

Just a few brief text messages 30 minutes before it was to hit. He's on the same island as Honolulu.

I'm hiking with the family today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. ghrit

That's Oahu. Waikiki and all that. Shoreline is pretty steep away from the tourist areas. Fingers crossed.

5. ghrit

The tsunami was causing a series of surges that were about 20 minutes apart, and the waves arrived later and smaller than originally predicted. The highest wave at Hilo measured 5.5 feet high, while Maui saw some as high as 6 feet. - MSNBC

A couple shots on the news indicate Waikiki was cleared off before anything happened. Live shots don't show any damage.

6. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Oahu is only 35 miles in diameter. If I were there and heard of a sunami alert, my butt would be parked on old Pali Hwy near the peak in 20 minutes, looking back down at the lowland..... with a cooler of sandwiches and beer. [boozingbuddies]

8. melbo

Just talked to Bear. All is well. They got a 3 ft wave.
    Island at a standstill still and he told me this is the first time he's ever heard the tsunami sirens wailing.

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

thanks for keeping us updated. Bear's been on my mind all day

10. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Good for surfing, glad it was small. They wonder why we stock up!

11. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Thanks Everyone for the good thoughts and prayers...
    Must've worked.... small surges a non-event...
    Got the experts and phd's at the Pacific Center sort of baffled.... they were expecting worse...

Got the phone call at 3:15am... at 3:40 there was already a line at the gas station and the local Safeway was swamped...

Got a good chuckle at that... I needed gas but it was interesting to see all those folks waiting in line looking stressed out with TP, food and water in their carts...

Yup... don't wait... as sudden and devastating as an earthquake can be... a crisis will be upon you and you will wish you had gone shopping and prepped before the [shtf]

Thanks again for all the good thoughts.... it was a busy day...

12. melbo

I was looking at flights to come see you if you were ravaged... Was going to bring my metal detector!

13. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

The good part is that the folks that make all the predictions were wrong!
    Somedays are just better than others....Honestly, I was scared half out of my wits that a lot more damage would have happened jst due to tsunami's and all the pacific areas being in a warning zone. Now, I can sit back, wipe the sweat from my brow, and hope we are even better prepared "IF" it ever happens again.....We were lucky this time. Those that had preps were in a far better situation, not having to go and find back up supplies, food, tp.
    Here I sit in the middle of the desert, and still I worry about the coastal regions! Must be a mental thing! I'm am just happy no one had any serious after effcts from all of this! The earthquake was bad enough.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7