1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Precision Rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Buckshot927tx, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

notice how i kindly placed the word "precision" in the title instead of the word "tactical". that word is thrown around way too much nowadays.
  2. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

i am new at this forum stuff so i hope i am doing this right. i am trying to build a 1000 yard capable winchester model 70 .300 win mag. i know i need a detachable box magazine instead of the clumbsy trap door, but i am not having any luck finding any conversions for it. Any help?
  3. ghrit

ghrit Ambulatory anachronism Administrator Founding Member

There might be a few guys here that can point you in the right direction. While you wait, take a cruise thru "the firearms forum." Google will get you there rather quickly, and use the search engine they have, it isn't too bad.
  4. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

yeah thanks, i'm finding that there is'nt too much on this site that i DON'T like haha, thanks again
  5. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+

I would look at brownells for a starting point.
  6. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Good luck! I tried to get an aftermarket floorplate with a removable magazine for a Rem 700 in .308 a few years ago. There are quite a few companies making them. Besides Brownells', try Midway USA. Badger Ordnance makes a really nice setup.

The only problem is that they NEVER have them in stock. I'd gladly pay for one, but there is never one to buy. I sometimes wonder about companies that show things online and in catalogs that they don't actually have to sell.

When you see that online I believe the proper term is vaperware. When it's in print, it should be down right criminal.

Here's a short list. Maybe if you go through the manufacturer, you might be able to actually snag one:

Winchester Long Action
    Surgeon Long Action Bottom Metal | Surgeon Rifles
    .300 Assy w/5 Round Mag, Wyatt's Outdoor

It seems that the overwhelming majority of them are made for the Remington 700 rifles. CDI may be your best bet.

I agree with you 100% about the "T" word. I can remember back in the 70's and 80's the buzz word was "combat". People use the "T" word not even knowing what it means.

Anyway, I wish you luck.
  7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

If you want to build a 1000 yard rifle. You'll need to have the action trued which includes Lap Locking Lugs, True Receiver, true bolt face etc. Then select a barrel.

Long range shooting is fun and requires discipline.
    Sapper John and NVBeav like this.
  8. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

There are always some good articles at Long Range Hunting - you could check out their forums and see what they say (then report back here, of course! :^)

It sounds like an interesting project, so let us know how it works out.
  9. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

that is a beautiful setup at CDI's website. having a model 70 instead of model 700 like the market wants you to is definitely going to prove to be difficult but i love these rifles. my dad left me a model 70 .308. it has a crack in the stock, and i would like to take the new super grade stock off of my .300 win mag and put it on the .308 since i am going to be replacing the super grade stock with a mcmillan anyhow, it this possible?
  10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As one is a short action (308) and the other a long action (300w) the length of the receivers are different. So the answer is no.
    Buckshot927tx likes this.
  11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As it takes a lot of trigger time to shoot 1000 worth a hoot; be sure you live close enough to a 1000 yard range.
    There is a lot involved to get good at shooting long distance and it requires a lot of practice to stay good. Same as fresh bread; the skills go stale quickly.

There are a lot of online resources.. :D love it!!!! :D

AccurateShooter.com 6mmBR.com -- Best Guide to Precision Shooting and Precision Rifle Accuracy
  12. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

thats what i was afraid of
  13. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

yeah, being in the military and living next to Quantico i hope to be able to get on their 1000 yard range as much as possible
  14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Range #4 :D :D
    Buckshot927tx, Sapper John and Cephus like this.
  15. munchie3409

munchie3409 Monkey+

Shooting at 1k isn't that difficult with the right equipment. This past summer, I shot to 1,025 yards and it was a lot of fun. I shot at that distance with my 308 and my 338 Lapua Mag. Your 300 WM will have no issues reaching past 1k.

I have a CDI mag system on one of my Savages...great price this week since CDI has a GB for the first week of 2012.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary