Precision Rifles

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Buckshot927tx, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

notice how i kindly placed the word "precision" in the title instead of the word "tactical". that word is thrown around way too much nowadays.

2. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

i am new at this forum stuff so i hope i am doing this right. i am trying to build a 1000 yard capable winchester model 70 .300 win mag. i know i need a detachable box magazine instead of the clumbsy trap door, but i am not having any luck finding any conversions for it. Any help?

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There might be a few guys here that can point you in the right direction. While you wait, take a cruise thru "the firearms forum." Google will get you there rather quickly, and use the search engine they have, it isn't too bad.

4. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

yeah thanks, i'm finding that there is'nt too much on this site that i DON'T like haha, thanks again

5. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

I would look at brownells for a starting point.

6. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Good luck! I tried to get an aftermarket floorplate with a removable magazine for a Rem 700 in .308 a few years ago. There are quite a few companies making them. Besides Brownells', try Midway USA. Badger Ordnance makes a really nice setup.

The only problem is that they NEVER have them in stock. I'd gladly pay for one, but there is never one to buy. I sometimes wonder about companies that show things online and in catalogs that they don't actually have to sell.

When you see that online I believe the proper term is vaperware. When it's in print, it should be down right criminal.

Here's a short list. Maybe if you go through the manufacturer, you might be able to actually snag one:

Winchester Long Action
    Surgeon Long Action Bottom Metal | Surgeon Rifles
    .300 Assy w/5 Round Mag, Wyatt's Outdoor

It seems that the overwhelming majority of them are made for the Remington 700 rifles. CDI may be your best bet.

I agree with you 100% about the "T" word. I can remember back in the 70's and 80's the buzz word was "combat". People use the "T" word not even knowing what it means.

Anyway, I wish you luck.

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

If you want to build a 1000 yard rifle. You'll need to have the action trued which includes Lap Locking Lugs, True Receiver, true bolt face etc. Then select a barrel.

Long range shooting is fun and requires discipline.

Sapper John and NVBeav like this.
  8. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

There are always some good articles at Long Range Hunting - you could check out their forums and see what they say (then report back here, of course! :^)

It sounds like an interesting project, so let us know how it works out.

9. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

that is a beautiful setup at CDI's website. having a model 70 instead of model 700 like the market wants you to is definitely going to prove to be difficult but i love these rifles. my dad left me a model 70 .308. it has a crack in the stock, and i would like to take the new super grade stock off of my .300 win mag and put it on the .308 since i am going to be replacing the super grade stock with a mcmillan anyhow, it this possible?

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As one is a short action (308) and the other a long action (300w) the length of the receivers are different. So the answer is no.

Buckshot927tx likes this.
  11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As it takes a lot of trigger time to shoot 1000 worth a hoot; be sure you live close enough to a 1000 yard range.
    There is a lot involved to get good at shooting long distance and it requires a lot of practice to stay good. Same as fresh bread; the skills go stale quickly.

There are a lot of online resources.. :D love it!!!! :D

AccurateShooter.com 6mmBR.com -- Best Guide to Precision Shooting and Precision Rifle Accuracy

12. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

thats what i was afraid of

13. Buckshot927tx

Buckshot927tx Monkey+

yeah, being in the military and living next to Quantico i hope to be able to get on their 1000 yard range as much as possible

14. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Range #4 :D :D

Buckshot927tx, Sapper John and Cephus like this.
  15. munchie3409

munchie3409 Monkey+

Shooting at 1k isn't that difficult with the right equipment. This past summer, I shot to 1,025 yards and it was a lot of fun. I shot at that distance with my 308 and my 338 Lapua Mag. Your 300 WM will have no issues reaching past 1k.

I have a CDI mag system on one of my Savages...great price this week since CDI has a GB for the first week of 2012.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7