preference for fighters

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Seacowboys, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have been collecting fighters for a number of years. I have several Randalls, a couple of Pumas, a Gypsy Maxwell, Mel Pardue, Microtech, Paragon, Benchmade, and other custom made ones. I am always interested in fighter design and purpose. Anyone else into this type blades?

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I like them, and think they have the "cool factor", but I buy more for utility and meat cutting purposes. Maybe my next one though...............

3. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I like my Buck and Ka-Bar mostly.

Of course I figure that most any good fixed blade can become a fighter, most of my skinning knives/hunting knives would work equally as well in my opinion (might not last as long considering how old a few of them are but they'd probably get the job done).

I've got a few so called tactical type knives that were hand made and one throwing knife that is definitely something you probably wouldn't throw. Not because it isn't beautifully balanced but because it's too dang pretty...why custom knife makes do that to a working knife at times is beyond me...but they do.

I don't consider folders as fighter blades - just never considered them to be. Yeah, I know that's probably wrong of me but just my take on it.

4. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I got a fighter a while back in a trade with a Danish maker. It's cool but not something I'd use much, and that's why I make what I do - I want them used! :p

5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

I refurbished and restored a Puma White Hunter a few years back for a buddy that took it to Vietnam with him.... His dad bought it for him before he left... it was pretty beaten up and stained but he still had the green box it came in.... He was in tears when I brought it back to him looking pretty brand new... I left all the little nicks and "scars" in it but cleaned, polished and repaired every bit of corrosion and age related damage I could.... Interesting what some will call a fighter.... and then what some actually use to fight with..... 8)

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7