Prepping your phone...

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Witch Doctor 01, Sep 27, 2011.

1. Nutpantz

Nutpantz Monkey+

A steel lined box (our just a steel box) will protect your electronic devices from a emp. I am always updating my smart phone every 2 years.my old phone loaded with maps, books and what not stays in that box.i check it every few months and cycle a battery (run dead and charge). When my new phone gets replaced it goes in the box too. Sure I could sell them for cash but they hold so much info in the palm of my hand I think it better to keep them.
    The box is sealed from moisture to keep the electronics happy.

BTPost likes this.
  2. sniper69

sniper69 Monkey+

Well GPS on my android phone is based off from google navigate, is there another app you all use? As for a maps app, which one do you prefer?

For smart compass - is it this one? https://market.android.com/details?id=kr.aboy.compass&hl=en

3. Nutpantz

Nutpantz Monkey+

Depends on what kind of maps you want and how much space you have.if it is street maps and little space and lots of money then "sygic" might be for you. Road map of what ever state you want or all of them on your phone all the time.(or street maps of most of the world). If you want local maps "locas" downloads maps from the net either topo, open street maps or various other sources.saves the maps on your phone as s cache it can read from but that takes up lots of space quick (topo and other picture maps are lots of big files).
    along with sygic you can buy "co pilot" or "igo my way"for street maps. asus or is it acer? has a contact with garmin to be the only android device with garmin maps offline For at least 2 more years.i have an old windows mobile device that has garmin topo maps of north america on it sitting in my box.
    There are tons of map options.
    I use sygic for street maps and locus for local topo info.
    Nutz

bassic likes this.
  4. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I found this online:
    From the same people:
    The Military's hardened stuff is at risk; yet, we can we safe with a simple metal box and some wadded newspaper?

[dunno][dunno]

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The reason that there is so much "confusion" about EMP, is very simple. There just isn't ANY recent Empirical Data, to go on. The MOST recent Data was recorded during the last Above Ground Nuclear Testing, and that happened over 4 DECADES ago. This means that 99% of what we THINK were know, is based on BIG Assumptions, extrapolated from 40+ year old Data, and run thru Computer Models that have NEVER been Checked, or Verified, against REAL Data. If ANYONE tells you, they KNOW what would happen, or just HOW things will be effected, THEY ARE FULL OF BS, and you should NEVER listen to ANYTHING they say, EVER Again. The ANSWER is "We Just do NOT KNOW" and what we do know is nothing more that an Educated Wild-Assed Guess...... ..... YMMV......

Tully Mars likes this.
  6. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

So you think the EMP Comission Report is BS??
    Commission to Assess the Threat to the United States from Electromagnetic Pulse (EMP) Attack
    Did you know that most newer vehicles are at least partially hardened against EMP??
    They have to have shielding.From themselves!!
    As vehicles have become more electronic,there have many high energy devices,and modules added.You will also have multiple devices/functions controlled from a single wire from signals of various voltage.
    With this has come the need to shield wires,and components from each other,and outside sources.Otherwise the signals would be corrupted by the different high energy modules in them,by high energy power lines,power substations,or every time there was a thunder storm.
    Also even with out the built in shielding,many vehicle's parked next to structures on the opposite side of the EMP source will be shielded by the structure.
    It's all a moot point,becouse the fuel pumps at the gas station are not shielded,and are hooked to the grid.So once most peoples gas tanks run dry.......Well I'm sure you get my drift.
    My advise is to find a hand,or 12v transfer pump with the ability to draw fluid from at least 20' below.
    Matt

7. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

No, what is being said is the last testing was done decades ago, today's components are very different that those tested which means all they have theories based on that single test.

Also. the yield of the weapons they tested were much lower than today's. Today's weapons will easily be placed more accurately.

How about a few large devices? EMP can reach the point where it kills, starts fires etc. One of the weaknesses of many "survivalists" is being so sure they have "it" whatever it happens to be covered.

Tully Mars and BTPost like this.
  8. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

I think prepping your smartphone is a great idea, even if your not going to use it for communication purposes. Several apps on mine make life much easier. One of the best is the built in flash light( it uses the flash for picture taking) I work in an industry where I have to get in people's attics and have had to use it in a pinch. Surprisingly it is even brighter than a cheap LED headlamp. Since it is basically a hand held computer, I would not over look it as an essential piece of gear.

9. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

I've been trying to work with the wife's new phone. I went and got a micro SD card for it-16 Gb, and now I'm trying to find the OS for it. So far I have been unable to get that information.

I looked up the type of phone (Motorola EX-124g) and pretty much figured out it is a rudimentry smart phone. I think it uses JAVA, as all the apps for it (that I saw) are Java J2ME based.

The list wasn't very long, and how many different MP3 players or YouTube vid players does one need? That's about all that is offered for it. I did find Mobipocket Reader Program, but it only reads JAV and EXT ebooks. So far the selection on those are minimal, also.

Is there anything I'm missing? I'm not the greatest hack out there... Actually pretty second rate.

Can anyone find some useful apps for this thing?

10. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

I tried to find you some but they were all mp3 ringtones lol

11. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

Thanks, Mechwolf. Same boat here.

I guess you have to pay to play in the new era of smartphones, and we didn't pay enough since it is a prepaid phone. We just don't use it enough to justify the cost of a plan, and we've looked at quite a few.

12. sniper69

sniper69 Monkey+

Not sure who you use for prepaid, but my smartphone is a prepaid and is android 2.2 It is an LG optimus V and the service is through virgin mobile. The optimus V is the same as the optimus s that is offered by sprint and the optimus t offered by tmobile. Small differences in the installed items are there, but so far it has performed excellent. I use it as both my cellular and as a house phone (why pay for a home phone when I can use my cell phone, lol) so went with the unlimited minutes/text/data/etc and it is $55 a month for unlimited with no contract. They also have plans that cost less, if you don't want the unlimited. Virgin mobile uses the sprint network. Not sure if this helps or not, but they sell virgin mobile phones all over. :)

13. dewme5

dewme5 Monkey+

With the size and price of the MicroSD cards. Keep several backups. My reading library was wiped out yesterday, and my MicroSD is junk. I have no backup.

14. ironmany2k

ironmany2k Monkey+

Some of the apps I like: FM 21-76 Survival Guide, SAS Survival Guide, Medicial Herbs, Wiki How Survival Kit, Wild Edibles, Foraging Flashcards, iFirstAid, iMedijet, Gaia GPS.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7