Preserving Diabetic Meds for SHTF.

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by jim2, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

About 100 years ago there was a thing called an "Icey Ball", it was two spheres connected by a pipe that contained ammonia. By heating one sphere you caused the other to cool. Unfortunately, I have only been able to find plans for "Icey Balls" as no one make them any more.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Our two Refers at home are “Ammonia over Hydrogen” Heat driven Refers.. The one in the Brown Cabin is a TriPower 120Vac, 12Vdc, Propane, and the one in the Blue Cabin is just straight Propane.. This is 120 year old, and very mature technology, but it does work, with few issues.. The TriPower uses 120Vac if available, and Propane if AC is not Available, and 12Vdc if neither of the other two aren’t available.. 100# Propane Bottle lasts us most of the summer, including use in the Propane Cooking Stoves in each Cabin...

Ura-Ki and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

These could use a small fire to provide the necessary heat.

4. BTPost

Yep, any heat source will drive this old technology...

5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

You mean this?
    Crosley IcyBall

3M-TA3 likes this.
  6. Clownbear69

Clownbear69 Monkey

What is the desired and the absolutely highest temperature do you need for your medication(s)?

7. BTPost

I keep my insulin at 38F...

8. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Believe me, I have looked into this because I have 2 nieces and 2 nieces-in-law that are Type 1. I have looked into making insulin (my nephew is a chemical engineer) and it would not be easy. The major problem is finding a steady supply of raw materials, especially in a SHTF situation. Currently my plans are to acquire a month or two of medication and rotate it. I have studied the pre-insulin treatment of diabetics and their life-expectancy...with medication, severe restrictions to diet and luck they might last a year or two. Sometimes I'm not sure if it would be worth the trouble, but then I reason that if it was me that I would want to have the option. The hardest thing about the historic treatments, besides offering no long-term hope, was the fact that as a care-giver you are going to have to be a "bastard" as one doctor of the time put it...you are going to have to STARVE your loved ones...they will be skin and bones when they die!

9. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yep!! I know refrigeration guy that MIGHT be able to cobble together something. He's semi-retired and might enjoy the challenge.

ditch witch likes this.
  10. squiddley

squiddley Monkey+++

I have a few 12 volt powered coolers that would work great for that with a solar panel and a couple deep cycle battery's
    I used them at my hunting camp to keep the beer and meat cold for the weekend.

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

In the short-term that is great, but eventually you will run-out of insulin...then what?

12. BTPost

You Die...

13. I lost a great niece to diabetes last Dec. Died WAY TOO young. I was going to whine about my Parkinson's. You guys have it much harder. I really respect you all, for fighting the good fight like you do.

14. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yeah!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7