President Obama

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Blackjack, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I usually assume when someone posts a long article refuting something that they actually hold that opinion. Silly me.

And you chastise me and threaten to flex your moderator muscles because I'm being inflammatory....... priceless. I'll answer it anyway, though.

I haven't contributed anything since I got hurt 2 years ago at my Corrections job, something I'm hoping to rectify soon. I'd guess in 20-some years in the workforce, I contributed quite a bit, and I'll throw in 4 years of military service to that contribution as well (a drop in the bucket compared to many ex-servicemen here). Do you really want to make an issue out of who has contributed more?

Edit: Now that I think about it:You're right. I was being a bit aggressive when I quoted you from another thread. Everyone else in the thread disagrees with me also, but we we're able to have a calm, respectful disagreement. Maybe I've just lost my ability to keep my cool with you, Quigley. Go ahead and just delete the whole thing..... seriously.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My biggest issue with free health care, is that it is not free. Why should I have to pay for health care for others? I took a lesser paying job, and continued working for my agency for almost 20 years even though I have had better offers to leave and work in the private sector. Why didn't I leave? Because of the benefits package, including the health insurance (which by the way is not very cheap). All of these years I took less, now I am going to have to pay for someone else's health care? I don't think so. So many people out there do not take care of themselves, make stupid decisions, and wait for the Gov. to give them a handout. Nope, I am not in favor of it. You want healthcare, then do what I did and find a job with benefits, or make enough so that you can afford the insurance or the Dr.'s bills.

3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Black jack I could care less how much you make, I care where my money goes.plain and simple...
    I find that most who are for it at any cost are the ones who are not working or dont get benefits.
    I pay 1500.00 a month for my benefits package.
    I'm like EL I found my work just because of the benefits package...... I have turned down 100k + a year jobs because of no benefits.
    Ask Melbo how he like the benefits he is able to get from the company we work at.
    He packed up his whole family and move 2k miles for it.
    Its ok if you loose your ability to keep your cool around me some of the time, I do it too with some people and some subject's, the mere act that you can admit it says a lot about your character and thats probably why i like you even though we are on opposite sides of the fence on some subjects,so be it.
    I was merely warning you to not turn this into your own inflammatory thread and attacking people who respond to what you asked for...." their opinions", It's due to the fact I have seen you do it before is why i said that.
    I just ask that we act like adults and discuss this and if "we" cant then I will lock it.

4. Quigley_Sharps

No need to delete it, just talk through it in a decent manner.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I do not want free health care; the condition of my carcass is my business and duty to care for. I don't want to pay for anyone else's either. And I am uninsured (except for Medicare) because the price is too high. Fortunately, I'm healthy.

6. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Anyway, I threw the first punch, and now that my blood pressure is approaching normal, you have my apology.

7. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Back to the civilized debate, regarding the situation on reservations, it's completely appalling. Many years ago I went to see a friend of the family on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. I couldn't believe I was still in the US. The house I visited (if you can even call it a house) was two rooms, one with a dirt floor, and no running water.

If your intent was to hold up the reservations as an example of public healthcare, I don't think it's a fair example at all. A large percentage of the people don't even have transportation to get to the clinic, which out there, can be a LONG way off. There are a whole lot of issues that contribute to their poor health.

8. Quigley_Sharps

accepted

9. Quigley_Sharps

I do think its a fair example, it show how the government has taken care of people under their medical watch why would they treat you or anyone else any different? I have a lot of card carrying family members in my family and I know first hand about how well we are treated.I don't expect it to be any different for you or anyone else when they take over.

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I dunno. I've read alot of logical arguments here but: .Come govt funded healthcare:
    I fully expect "them" to claim "high moral ground " and say if "we are paying for your health care;
    We get a say in what you eat/drink ,whether you can ride a motorcycle or drive a sports car, or play ice hockey. when you exercise.etc...and whether your 60 year old dad gets cancer treatments or not (after all he'sgonna die "soon" anyway...).
    HMO administrators second guessing docs is bad enough.

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have but one comment for this, a borrowed signature line from one of our members:
    "... [O]nce a state extends the franchise to every warm body, be he producer or parasite, that day marks the beginning of the end of the state. For when the plebs discover that they can vote themselves bread and circuses without limit and that the productive members of the body politic cannot stop them, they will do so, until the state bleeds to death, or in its weakened condition the state succumbs to an invader—the barbarians enter Rome."

— Robert A. Heinlein (To Sail Beyond the Sunset)

12. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

the year I had to pay over $80K in taxes was the year I decided I would do everything I can to minimize my tax bill. That is an absurd amount to pay just because some jackass in washington thinks I need to pay my fair share.

the next year I had to pay estimated taxes based upon the previous years income the next year....yea, thats right. $15K per quarter......now that sucked because the next year was my worst year.......so, I paid $140K in taxes over two years and got some refund on the bad year, but that is a joke.

F that. I don't wish any problems on anyone and I sympathize for Blackjacks physical ailments. I am fine with .gov run healthcare if they cut 2x as much other spending. Kill the TARP and all the other stuff. Just cut spending an let the .gov live like the people should live with limited debt.

Debt = Slavery = .gov over spending

13. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

I think that can be achieved. Right now we (the US gov) pay almost 45% of all our healthcare costs, and a HUGE portion of that is the unnecessary use of the emergency rooms as a primary care physician by those with no insurance. Add to that, the fact that those with insurance are being fleeced by the middlemen, and I think we can save money and make sure that everyone is covered.

14. Clyde

Don't provide services to Illegals....drops buy a large amount. If healthcare is run by the government it will be run into the ground. They will dictate the prices for all treatements and walla....no one will want to become a doctor because it doesn't produce the rate of return.

As of a national insurance policy, there are 1300 choices out there without the government making it 1301. There are options out there for people, but it is cheaper to go to the emergency room and never pay the bill because the hospital can't turn you away. An office visit is $75 bucks and all the spanish nurses in the pediatrician office in my town know how to get the money reimbursed by some organization if you are out of work.

For instance, I don't have health insurance at the moment. We pay cash for our services. It took 40 minutes for my wife to pay the bill because they never had someone pay in cash. It was $60. Then, when they heard we didn't have insurance, they directed us to some agency that would reimburse us for the cost of the visit to which my wife retorted, "Why should someone have to pay my bill?". The ladies behind the desk didn't understand. 4 different ladies told her to do the same thing.

Its called personal responsiblity.

15. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I know that this hasn't stopped congress or a president before, but I don't remember seeing anything within the U.S. Constitution about collecting taxes for healthcare.

16. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I saw zero's speech to the AMA. In it he cited McAllen, Texas as having such a high medical cost due, according to him, their using too many uneeded procedures ( more or less what he was saying, I don't recall the exact language). I was shouting at the TV (which happens frequently when I watch this moron).
    I just spent the last 4 years in the McAllen area and I know nurses who work in their system. The reason they have such a high medical cost is all of the Mexicans (not just illegals but thousands that cross the border legally everyday just to go to an emergency room for treatment) that they have to treat. I know a guy whose wife worked in a McAllen hospital and was quitting because she couldn't take it anymore. She said it was horrible. The Mexicans would flock there every day from Mexico and it was like a third world clinic every day.

17. Clyde

18. Quigley_Sharps

Thank God I'm not the only one out here doing this....[beer]
    I thought I may be crazy...........
    or on second thought you could be too ....
    we are in trouble ....lol

19. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, add me to the nutzoid list. I don't scream and shout, but I do derisive snorts and cuss. Gad, what rubbish he emits. (Gotta admit that pelosi and the fruit have him beat hands down.)

20. Quigley_Sharps

Abc turns programming over to obama<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    <HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1 itxtvisited="1"><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->http://www.drudgereport.com/flashaot.htm

ABC TURNS PROGRAMMING OVER TO OBAMA; NEWS TO BE ANCHORED FROM INSIDE WHITE HOUSE

Tue Jun 16 2009 08:45:10 ET

On the night of June 24, the media and government become one, when ABC turns its programming over to President Obama and White House officials to push government run health care -- a move that has ignited an ethical firestorm!

Highlights on the agenda:

ABCNEWS anchor Charlie Gibson will deliver WORLD NEWS from the Blue Room of the White House.

The network plans a primetime special -- 'Prescription for America' -- originating from the East Room, exclude opposing voices on the debate.

MORE

Late Monday night, Republican National Committee Chief of Staff Ken McKay fired off a complaint to the head of ABCNEWS:

Dear Mr. Westin:

As the national debate on health care reform intensifies, I am deeply concerned and disappointed with ABC's astonishing decision to exclude opposing voices on this critical issue on June 24, 2009. Next Wednesday, ABC News will air a primetime health care reform “town hall” at the White House with President Barack Obama. In addition, according to an ABC News report, GOOD MORNING AMERICA, WORLD NEWS, NIGHTLINE and ABC’s web news “will all feature special programming on the president’s health care agenda.” This does not include the promotion, over the next 9 days, the president’s health care agenda will receive on ABC News programming.

Today, the Republican National Committee requested an opportunity to add our Party's views to those of the President's to ensure that all sides of the health care reform debate are presented. Our request was rejected. I believe that the President should have the ability to speak directly to the America people. However, I find it outrageous that ABC would prohibit our Party's opposing thoughts and ideas from this national debate, which affects millions of ABC viewers.

In the absence of opposition, I am concerned this event will become a glorified infomercial to promote the Democrat agenda. If that is the case, this primetime infomercial should be paid for out of the DNC coffers. President Obama does not hold a monopoly on health care reform ideas or on free airtime. The President has stated time and time again that he wants a bipartisan debate. Therefore, the Republican Party should be included in this primetime event, or the DNC should pay for your airtime.

Respectfully,
    Ken McKay
    Republican National Committee
    Chief of Staff

MORE

ABCNEWS Senior Vice President Kerry Smith on Tuesday responded to the RNC complaint, saying it contained 'false premises':

"ABCNEWS prides itself on covering all sides of important issues and asking direct questions of all newsmakers -- of all political persuasions -- even when others have taken a more partisan approach and even in the face of criticism from extremes on both ends of the political spectrum. ABCNEWS is looking for the most thoughtful and diverse voices on this issue.

"ABCNEWS alone will select those who will be in the audience asking questions of the president. Like any programs we broadcast, ABC News will have complete editorial control. To suggest otherwise is quite unfair to both our journalists and our audience."

Developing...
    <!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7