Preventive medicine? Music is good for the spirit!

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by natshare, Aug 5, 2023.

1. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Entirely too quiet around here, these days. Except for the cicadas in my ears, singing 24/7. :eek::rolleyes:
    Doing some research online, to see if there's any relief for tinnitus (not really). PLEASE don't believe the BS ads that say their non-prescription medication will relieve it! When the Mayo Clinic tells you that medication doesn't really treat most tinnitus, I'd be inclined to believe them!

What CAN work, to soothe the psychological effect of tinnitus, is some good classical music. Doesn't really have a lot of loud/soft volume changes, so it's soothing. And since tinnitus has been tentatively connected to dementia, it's probably not a bad idea to do what you can, to help relieve the symptoms, even though you can't really treat the disease, so to speak.

Been listening to this the past couple hours. 4 hours total length, so it'll last a while. You might even recognize a few of the pieces in this! No doubt, when it's done, it will suggest some other classical music for you to enjoy, too! (y)

Alanaana, Kamp Krap, SB21 and 4 others like this.
  2. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Suffered with it for years, and I have found I can listen to about anything with a decent pair of over-the-ear headphones on and not notice it nearly as much, sometimes not at all. Sure would be nice if we came with an instruction manual when we were born. You know, things like don't jump off things or out of airplanes, wear hearing protection, stay out of the sun, etc. All the things old people told me that I didn't believe.

natshare, Kamp Krap, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  3. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

I've noticed the only music I listen to anymore is classical - well - sometimes I listen to Irish insurrection, rebel songs when I get a case of the a$$ hearing what Biden is doing next; however, most the time, it's classical. No rock, no country, no jazz, not even blues anymore...

natshare, Kamp Krap and SB21 like this.
  4. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've always wanted some music in the background,, seems to be even more so now these days . Sometimes the tinnitus is so bad I feel like stabbing my ear with an ice pick .

Never heard the tinnitus and alzheimers thing ,,, I've been wondering,, with my little memory lapses if I was on my way ,, if this is true , then I guess I am .

CraftyMofo and Kamp Krap like this.
  5. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

@SB21 the little bit I read of it, it's saying that because we're missing out on hearing some tones because of the tinnitus, it causes certain areas of our brains (likely, the creative side) to suffer. By introducing tones we CAN hear, to those areas, it stimulates them, and helps prevent the degradation.
    My old Navy Chief (probably pushing 70-75, now) does brain games, to help keep himself brain healthy. Probably something I should look into, now, too! (y)

CraftyMofo and SB21 like this.
  6. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Instrumental blues and jazz qualify as classical music in my book

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Tenonitis is in the brain not in the ear.
    I've had it for 40+ years. 3 -4 different sounds.
    The slower ring is my pulse.
    Rather than fight it I use it.
    Usually If I am concentrating on some engineering project or building something the sound is not as noticeable except when I stop, my wife could never understand that. reading or music does not help like it does in some folk.
    I'm tired of watching some you tube advertising for some cure that they drag on an on forever and waste my time with the climax. for just $$$$$ . it's a rabbit trail. even if it were legitimate the same game with a different name, you can't tell.
    I've just learned to live with it.

SB21 likes this.
  8. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Headphones and a volume knob keeps me from grabbing an Ice Pick and stabbing myself in the ear ,,,

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7