Price of lumber !!

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by TnAndy, Nov 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What a croc of propaganda the article is.
    Mills here are running only 1 crew instead of 3 before the wuhan 19 fiasco.
    Either the mills don't want a 24 hour operation or the workers laid off went fishing while getting a .Gov check

SB21 likes this.
  3. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Those "prices" are futures, not current prices at the lumber yard. Futures are mostly guesses at where the market is going, and do NOT reflect today's supply and demand.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Futures are usually pretty good guesses.
    The lumber stores will continue to try to gouge customers for as long as they can.

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

The cure for abnormally high prices is almost always high prices.
    :D

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Until they/us decide that it's too high. Then they'll donate the lumber to habitat for humanity.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Ah so glad I sold those 2x4.
    I'll likely never have a chance to sell no thrills No.2 seasoned 2x4 for $8 to $9 each which is at least 3 but no more than 4 times what I paid for them.

Still have my precious pressure treated. It takes too long to get good pressure treated wood. I buy ones I think will be straight when dry, let them dry inside for a few weeks buy a few more, return the now dry warped ones ones a week later as "oops I bought too much that last time". What the pressure treated msrp is now is about what I think straight dry ones are worth to me as I use them around doors and windows. If they dry straight they are A1 premium plus and then some grade.

Gator 45/70 and TinyDreams like this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Number 2, eight foot 2x4 are coming down hard and fast. Now they're down to $5 and $6 which still sucks but is nearly half of what it was.
    My indoor wood pile is now nice and organized on a big rack. Instead of a pile on the floor. I still have a small pile of 2x4x8 that were on the bottom.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The number 2 eight footers are solidly below $5 each now, at least here.
    Edit: still sux tho

Last edited: Aug 7, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Lumber prices down 70% since may.
    Yep, I told you so.
    Now I wonder who was stupid enough to run out and buy lumber that they still haven't used. Now if you had to buy wood to build something or finishing building something I get it. I sold most of my # two 2x4 stash to a local builder, I'm sure it didn't cost them anything and they just up charged those customers.
    'Unprecedented collapse' in lumber prices forces one B.C. sawmill to curb production | Vancouver Sun
    At the retail level the stores are still trying to gouge.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. VisuTrac

i had to replace the treads on the stairs off the deck yesterday. I had 2x6x8 cedar boards that had their nice price tags of 7.84 each on them from a project i did back in 2016. I just checked home depot online prices. Holy crap, 30 bucks each. Glad i had extra. if i needed to get wood it would have been 120 bucks instead of 32ish.
    still have extra for the next project.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. VisuTrac

yeah, but the prices have at least dropped in half on osb/plywood on the retail level. still expensive but not gold plated expensive.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Some time around 2017, 2018 cedar got a nice little price jump. Then from 1997 to 2018 overall wood prices have at least doubled, the higher end shit like oak boards at least tripled.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

Glad I waited to start my remodel project. Picked up some lumber from Home Depot yesterday.

2" x 4" x 8' kiln dried premium - $3.85 each
    2" x 4" x 8' pressure treated - $6.80 each

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

$4 for a 2x4 isn't too cringy.
    I want to say before the plandemic they were around $2.50, I think they want up over $3 maybe as high as $3.50 after hurricane Harvey then they came back down.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I need another sheet of that nice 3/4 inch poplar ply wood. Dreading what the price might be I looked it up, $60.
    I'm pretty sure that's what it was the last time I bought a sheet of it around 2017.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Lumber prices down to a 1 year low.
    Tree fiddy for a typical #2 out here.
    Cheaper #2 pine 2x4x96 are showing $3.11 (never been available in NM as far as I know).
    That's pretty good seeing how hurricane whatever it's name was just messed up LA and a nice swath of the east coast.

techsar and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

A month ago a typical 2x4x8 was @ 7.99.
    Haven't dared look since Ida came through.

9/6/21 ETA: Just checked....#2 yellow pine 8' are 2.86 - "appearance grade" for 3.75, so down about 50% in the last month.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Same here,I've been in lowes several times in the last week or so buying items for people in Idas
    path,Never once ventured into the lumber section

20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The 2x4 they sell here are $4.35 each and that seems like the bottom for now.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7