Price of lumber !!

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by TnAndy, Nov 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

Went to Lowe the other day for treated 2x4x8 $ 7.43 and they looked like crap full of knots. Went down the road to Homedepot and they had their "select " $7.88 full of knots--- had #2 $5.48 dug through the whole pile and found 10 that had no knots and straight. Treated 2x6x8 $6.48 1/2 4x8 strand board $18 bucks prices are still outrageous. Building 8x8 well pump house for my son never used hardy plank for siding anyone got any thoughts on using it and tips on installing ?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

Installed my first cement board siding recently. I like it. Cutting with a saw is a pain....dusty as all get out. Then make a shear for cutting, but I'm not buying one for the amount I intend to put up. I used a carbide tip blade on a circular saw, one the building supply sold for use on this siding, but it sure didn't last one before it was eaten up. I think I'd use a diamond masonry blade if I was going to do very much.

Every video/guide I saw had you nailing it at the top of the siding, covering the nails with the next course. Seemed to me that would allow the bottom to just flap free, so I ignored that and fastened at the bottom, thru the top of the course below, just like every other lap siding I've ever put on.

I used an air nailer at first with a ring shank galvanized nail, but didn't like the results, as when the compressor was a full pressure, lot of times the nails punched right thru. I switched to using a small diameter x 2 1/2" star headed trim screw that did a whole lot better job IMHO. I counter sank the screws just slightly, and went back an caulked them over with a latex caulk before painting. Siding came with primer coat, but I painted a coat of the finish color on it before installing, then a 2nd coat after installed.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I just got a bunch of free 6 foot 2x6 boards, about 10% were combustion grade due to warp, knots, splintering, cracks and that's fine too.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  4. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yesterday the cheapest 2x4 at lowes here is $4.25.
    The cheapest 2''x6''x8' was $7.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  5. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

My son is in Gulf Breeze Fl and he is always telling me lumber prices and they are always lowered than what I'm paying in SC. Can't understand it we have a Sh__ load of yellow pines (mature) here sad to see them going to the paper mill rather than a sawmill

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'll be bringing cedar logs to a Paw operation in the near future, Deal ? 50/50 split for his services.

TnAndy likes this.
  7. TnAndy

Yeah, I will saw on 50/50 if it's a species I want.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Same here , Largest dia I can handle is 6 foot .
    Alaska mill first , 22 foot long max
    Sloth

IMG_2579.JPG

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Anyone ever used cedar sawdust in the dog pen? Cousin wants it thinking this will keep fleas down?

10. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

Makes sense! A lot of dog beds are filled with cedar shavings. Might not keep the fleas down, but it'll make it smell better for sure.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I was making something out of cedar and took the saw dust and put it in mesh bags and hung it in our closets. Made it smell real good almost like the closet was cedar lined.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Cousin is a deer hound man and has been as long as he can remember, He's about 57 I think
    Love em or hate em He keeps a few around to run for maybe a month down here.

13. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

You sure you that wood mizer can handle a six foot diameter log? Looks like it might be pushing the limits at three foot.

14. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Alaska mill first till sized
    Sloth

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Man, I am so glad we sucked it up and built our cabin when we did. First, we physically would be very challenged now. Second, it would cost sooooooo much more. We want an outdoor kitchen. It won't be cheap.

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Last I heard (a while back), they said at least mid 2022, before lumber prices might fall. And that's only if they're putting people back to work at the mills, to start producing enough to stock up, so there's not a shortage. With the labor shortage, might take even longer!

After seeing the tornado damage in Kentucky, this past weekend, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea to revisit the home owner's policy, and maybe bump up the rebuild value? Between the price of lumber, and the increase in real estate value, what my house was insured for might not cover the cost of rebuilding it, anymore! :eek:(n)

Gator 45/70, VisuTrac and CraftyMofo like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Rebuild out of ballistic concrete.
    If you survive.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. TnAndy

Switch to an HO5 policy....full replacement costs. That is all I've ever had, with a $5,000 deductible.

Gator 45/70 and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  19. Just got done with a 4 x 6 lean to roof over an outdoor wood furnace.
    2 pcs of thin ass galv. sheet metal. 5 pre cut 2 x 4's. 2 - 8 foot PT 4 x 4's. 2 60 # bags of concrete.
    Just over $100 bucks. That's without any roof or deck screws.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

With all the unfortunate tornado destruction of so many homes I expect the price of lumber won't be coming down any time soon---supply and high demand

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7