primitive fishing hook

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by H.I.S Survival, Nov 5, 2016.

1. I did a video on how to make a primitive hook out of bamboo.

2. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

go further back in time and make one from bone

Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Not that far back.... Maybe only 180 years...

Hone your skills people, hone your skills.

Ura-Ki and Olympic mountain man like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I think bamboo and humans have been around each other for a very long time. Learning to make fish hooks with bone is an excellent suggestion, but sometimes its a matter of using what materials are readily available at the time when they are needed..

agreed

Georgia_Boy, Ura-Ki and Ganado like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

jeez @marlas1too he is at least doing something and publishing it.... what's up with the attitude about making it from bone.... Love to see a picture of your bone hooks.

Homer Simpson and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

bone fish hooks - Google Search
    Scroll down 28 lines, look in the right hand column to see some of the primitive fabrications. There are others scattered around. Granted, these are NOT @marlas1too,. but still doable.

(So easy to find, even a ghrit can do it.)

Ura-Ki and chelloveck like this.
  7. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

like this the native Indians did

tacmotusn and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Olympic mountain man

Olympic mountain man just a lonely cook

It's honing your skills and thinking outside the box more then one way for almost everything I have said since I started on here the mind is the greatest survival skill

chelloveck, Ura-Ki and Dunerunner like this.
  9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have been making fishing hooks Russian Style for ever sense I was a small fry! Take hard wood, and boil and then dry over a low fire. Carve to rough shape until shape is about right, place back in water for several min, then place in coals for two shots of Vodka and a good joke about western women, remove hook and carve to almost final shape and then using a smooth river stone, Hone to desired sharpness and tie on for use! With the right type of hard wood, I can get hooks down to size #2 which is a bit much for trout but perfect for bass, and other pan fish as well as Drifting for Steelhead and Salmon One nice advantage is depending again on the wood, many of these will float, which makes drift fishing even more deadly!

chelloveck and Ganado like this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

lol two whole shots of vodka and locker room talk.... that was funny! [LMAO]:lol:

Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I always thought that Russian locker-room talk was about the best looking tractors. :LOL:

Ura-Ki likes this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

We Russians time every thing by shots, or bottles of Vodka! The More shots, the longer something must take! It's exponential, I think! LOL

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  13. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Oh YEA!!! Look at tires on that model Smiterniya, I bet she could climb a tree with those!

Sgt Nambu and chelloveck like this.
  14. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

I've taught my grand kids to make spears from bamboo, both fishing and hunting/defense! I've got a LOT of bamboo growing on my place. I think I'll teach them to make bamboo fishhooks too!

chelloveck likes this.
  15. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

I am to lazy to make fishing hooks, basket traps for me :)

chelloveck and Kamchuka like this.
  16. Kamchuka

Kamchuka Grease Monkey

I made a roster tail in s.e.r.e. school from a smuggled in Copenhagen lid, a nail from the cadre hut, and 550 guts. Killed it! I was a perch slayer, my team ate good. Plus they dropped us on a farm in mid summer, sorry farmer, I snagged some veggies!

chelloveck likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I have bamboo here too . there are a lot of things bamboo can make ,weapons clothing structures the list is endless, I really don't know why people get rid of it out of their yards . California go figure .

chelloveck likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7