Primitive / Modern methods...the old war

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by phorisc, May 7, 2016.

1. phorisc

phorisc Monkey++

So some of you may know or not...I am a big film buff...I like to dabble in making short films as well as filming outdoor bushcraft stuff for my youtube channel...
    So I was watching a short film that I think hits it home with the argument about Modern survival and primitive survival...I'd say my say but I'd rather some of you experience it by watching this video...and its very well filmed so I doubt you will feel it is time wasted...almost reminds me of a doctor seus book...honestly ;)

-Phorisc
    Live The Adventure

arleigh, duane, Dont and 5 others like this.
  2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Doctor Sus indeed. Haha. I'd kill for that cabin though.

phorisc and UncleMorgan like this.
  3. duane

duane Monkey+++

That type of chinking, looks beautiful and works really well in the south I guess. Tried it 40 years ago in NH and the logs weren't dry enough and shrunk, leaked air, and the plaster type stuff carried the cold into the house. Next try I got a friend to square the logs up on a saw mill, cut a groove for insulation and nailed them into place after drilling a pilot hole and had much better luck. They really do look nice chinked that way. While I love my axe, I kind of like novicane when the dentist fills a cavity in my teeth and my wife would have died a couple times without modern medicine. I want to keep my cake and eat it also, so I really want a mix of both. Kind of like a China type restaurant, pick and choose, one from column 1 and one from column 2.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is very correct and that is how I try to live. Old and new. It is difficult at times because I try to avoid the modern which is garbage and basically has a shelf life of 3 years, whereas the old way is harder to find.

Nice share

phorisc and UncleMorgan like this.
  5. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

From a purely armchair viewpoint, I have to admit that was a fun little video. I give it three thumbs up.

phorisc and duane like this.
  6. duane

duane Monkey+++

Enjoyed the video, we all have days like that and we all get overwhelmed by the whole modern life thing. Went to the fire station to get a burn permit for brush and 5 people were sitting there texting and sharing jokes on their phones. Like no one was there in real time and they could have been 10,000 miles away. Almost checked to see if they had pods on their backs like the old scifi horror movie. What is even worse is that I remember those Ike cartoon like ads, we didn't have a tv but my cousins did and we watched them there. Saw Ike debate Stevensen live and remember FDR dying.

phorisc likes this.
  7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The is my place, lot's of old . DSCN4033.JPG d lots of new.

UncleMorgan and phorisc like this.
  8. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Still trying to get the hang of this tablet.. Did not intend to make a repllie here but.. Anyways, the video was entertaining and destruction can be very gratifying as well as just friggin fun!

phorisc likes this.
  9. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Had to do a double take...thought that was my friends shed for a minute there.

phorisc likes this.
  10. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

Well, that pic just gave me a bad case of stuff envy.

phorisc likes this.
  11. Dont

Have seen a lot of shops lookin like that.. Kind of looks like my house.. Have to much "important" crap with a future use..

phorisc likes this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

my ego is truly flattened , I thought every one else here was a neat freak.
    Unfortunately that pic is only a fraction of what's left to deal with, which is a fraction of what I had to start WITH .

13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Too bad you can't throw a Junkyard Wars SHTF contest out there. Haha. That would be fun.

kellory and Ganado like this.
  14. Dont

Used to be a tv show "Junkyard Wars".. Two or three teams would take junk and create a functional machine.. Was pretty interesting for me anyways..

kellory likes this.
  15. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I used to watch it when I was getting into my teens...fueled a few bat sh.. crazy schemes over the years. Haha.

Dont and kellory like this.
  16. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I liked that show. It was a spinoff of the brittish origonal. I wanted to compete on the show, because I'm always building sh-stuff.

17. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'd pay to see that. Junkyard Preppers. That's a show we need.

Dont and kellory like this.
  1. Cruisin Sloth
  2. phorisc
  3. OldDude49
  4. Bishop
  5. Bishop
    [img] [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Feb 7, 2019, 6 replies, in forum: Back to Basics
  6. chelloveck
  7. Bishop
    Though you may like this. [MEDIA]
    Thread by: Bishop, Oct 29, 2018, 1 replies, in forum: Bushcraft