Primus kerosene stove

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by hot diggity, Jun 20, 2023.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Primus stoves were made on Sweden as far back as 1911. You might run across one cheap at a yard sale. Grab it! They are fantastic stoves and require little maintenance.

Fueled with kerosene and with the pre-heat cup filled with denatured alcohol.
    IMG_20230619_215948.

IMG_20230619_215846.
    We start with no pressure and add one to two pumps as the alcohol burns off. IMG_20230619_220026.
    then we can add pressure to make the burner roar.
    IMG_20230619_220052.
    If we want to simmer we just release pressure. Want more heat, add pressure by pumping.

To shut off, just open the valve. Fastest extinguishing stove I have.

This one is a 1937 No. 51. They're all basically the same. I ran three year old kerosene tonight. I have some pre-Y2K kerosene in the barn that I'll test after I burn this off. I suspect it'll run just fine.

Can I preheat with kerosene? Yes. I did just that tonight. It created some carbon scale that burned off once the stove got hot. Slight smoke preheating this way. Nothing that can't be overcome.

Great stoves.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2023
    Seawolf1090, duane, Kamp Krap and 5 others like this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I like your INFO of stoves and lamps Sir !
    Sloth

duane, Kamp Krap, hot diggity and 2 others like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I just bought the Russian Knock off Primos, it's the EXACT same thing, only it's all in Russian! Works the same, and is pretty easy on the fuel, and dosn't soot at all once it's warmed up, I did find it makes a little ore heat them the old Origionals, could be the design of the burner element or that it runs higher pressures, I honestly don't now, but for $75.00 U.S. it was a bargain!

duane, Kamp Krap, hot diggity and 2 others like this.
  4. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

These are also common in India.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  5. aardbewoner

aardbewoner judge a human on how he act,not on look and talk.

The where made in more countries,Remember there are two types of burners the normal one that does make a roaring sound and the silent one.Have old one brand name BAT,the better called it lion as it roars :).

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7