Problem with Opera

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Wild Trapper, Feb 25, 2008.

1. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I downloaded and installed Opera onto my 4 gig flash drive and was attempting to download TurboCASH using Opera as a browser. I got to a page that had an extention of .asp instead of the normal .htm or .html, I had to copy it and paste it into an edit program to an html format and then ask FireFox to open it. Well first it loaded by IE but didn't function so I switched to FireFox. I worked fine with FireFox and is now still downloading.

Anyone else trying Opera and ever notice this? If so is there a fix for it. I really like Opera for it's simple, staight forward approch to quick and simple internet access.

2. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Tried it once but switched back to Firefox

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

not sure. I loaded up Opera once and didn't care for all the ways it kept track of you... You can open and close it 1000 times and each time, all your tabs are still open. That speeddial page was pretty cool but again, it keeps a profile of your 10 most visited sites.

Then again, I'm a fairly private guy and am always looking to diminish the tracks left on my system... Most I know that use Opera love it more than any other browser.

I think asp stands for Active Server something. I know I run across them every once in awhile and FF works them just fine. I know MS uses them so IE should be fine as well.

Can't be of mush more help. Did you try the www.Opera-4GBUSB-TurboCash-problem-Forums.org yet?

4. Wild Trapper

I got the TurboCASH fine by using FireFox. FireFox is the best browser I've ever tried or used. I have it on my wife's computer, but IE is the default browser. Hard time making converts of some people.

I haven't installed TurboCASH yet as I'm waiting for my laptop to be returned. The reason I tried Opera is because of it's small size and it'll run off the flash drive with nothing left on the computer plus all cache files are on the flash drive that I take with me. I first installed it on my wife's desktop and moved the whole directory unto the flash, Then I uninstalled it from the desktop to see if it would run off the flash and it did.

I did find setting up Opera to be a bit different but for it's tiny size it does a lot. I had a bit of a problem with getting Opera to load my desired home page on startup. I just really hate IE especially the new latest release. I don't think I'll get much mileage out of Opera, unless they support my plugins. The plugins are what converted me to FF.

5. Wild Trapper

Oh, forgot to add, you can set Opera to delete all cache, cookie, and history files when you close it if you don't like leaving tracks. Trouble with that is I like to look at the web pages I've viewed for later editing and saving as doc files. (For information purposes only). I got in the habit of closing tabs from using FF. Then run Crap Cleaner to clear all history, etc.

6. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

ahhh. sneaky browsing. I love it.
    I have a few USB sticks that I run with the portable apps suite. No trace left. In a panic, you pull the stick and the screen goes blank...

Check this out: http://portableapps.com/

And, some Sticks are preloaded with U3. This sets up a small partition on the stick that reads as a CD and is loaded (like autoplay) when you insert it. I loved this setup but its windows only. For 2 years I carried my sole FF browser with all it's bookmarks and my email (Thunderbird) with all its old mail in my pocket. Lots of free apps available for DL.
    http://u3.com/

If you are looking at making a linux switch, don't get too excited about thes 2. The apps are lnux compatible, just not in the neat USB stick configurations. You can install linux on a stick and bring some apps with it.

I used to swing by the public library and insert my USB, grab my mail, walk away in 2 minutes and then go out to my laptop in the truck to read it. I like sneaky!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7