program advice for butchering CD?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by monkeyman, Mar 4, 2006.

1. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Ok so I finaly got my computer back up and running and it has the same programs on it that I was doing the tutorials in and I still cant get it to open the files of it that I had on CD. Im sure if I messed with it enouph could figure out how to get it to open them but Im wanting to make sure this is a pretty straight forward thing that computer idiots like me can use, just pop it in the computer and maybe click on the section you want to view and have it open up so you just scroll down and read it and see every thing. So what I basicly need to know from someone with more computer knowledge than me (so most anyone lol) is what would be the best format to put it in or in other words what program should I use to wright it with so that can have the pics and text all come together nice and neat and easy to use for the folks who buy it? Im figuring my computer is limited enouph on what it offers for ways to create things that I will have to just use another computer or get software to add to this one. So, any advice?

2. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

mm, I'll put it in a pfd format for you if you want. If you're interested, let me know.

3. monkeyman

How well dose that work for just poping the disk in have it pop up then scrole through it? That would be the ideal thing for it so however close I can come to that would be the ideal.

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

A cool way of doing it would be to use a Web AUthoring program to create a Website like structure that is on the CD... The browser would open it up and read off the CD.

Otherwise, almost everything else you do will require search and click on the CD. PDF is a good idea but you'd still have to write the thing in Word or something like that.

You need to use Word to write your 'manual'.. Unless you want it to be interactive looking like a powerpoint presentation. See if you can find an example of how you want this thing to look when finished. Post the link and we can tell you how to go about it.

I'm not exactly clear on what you want it to do

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Word is probably your best bet for composition and layout. Pix can be inserted and text formatted around them as needed. Then, when all is edited, you can convert it to pdf (or send to RH to get it converted.) Once it's all set up and edited, you don't want it messed with, and pdf is about as secure as it can get.

Glad to hear you are making progress. [boozingbuddies]

6. monkeyman

Basicly Im just wanting to set it up pretty much like it is on the forum, the main thing if possible would be to maybe have it so could zoom in on pics if wanted but if not thats not a huge thing either, but the stuff I had put to CD I tried to open after reformating my PC and also tried opening it on another newer better computer and its a MAJOR hassel, and I figure if Im gonna ask folks to buy these they need to be able to pop them in the computer and just click to open the tutorial for each animal or whatever. Basicly to set it up like the threads only no breaks every few pics and maybe clear out some of the pic name/script type stuff that shows up, and have it so that each tutorial or animal is like a thread that you open so can do that section.

Oh on a side note, I now have acess to a scanner so should also be able to scan that meat cureing book to disk. I wouldnt be able to sell it since its not my work but some folks might be able to recieve the CD if wanted. [winkthumb]

7. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I could help you out by doing it in Adobe Pagemaker with a table of contents linked to portions of text or images then create a pdf document which can be read with Adobe Avrobat. That allows for zooming in as well as links. It would require the free adobe acrobat reader though.

Alternately, it could be in HTML web page format. Everyone has one browser or another.

Abode will provide much greater security of content.

The copyright status of the meat curing pamphlet will probably prohibit scanning that. Write the authors for permission to include a free scanned copy with the purchase of the butchering CD.

8. monkeyman

Im not sure how the copyright stuff would work on that, it may be under public domain by now since it has been out of print for about 50 years now. :dunno: Also I wouldnt most likely charge anything for copies of that and it would just be getting sent to friends or whatever, so since I wouldnt be chargeing for it, giveing acknowledgement of where it was from and its been out of print so long (not to mention that it is filled with adds for their products) then I doubt there is much they could or would say about it, its free advertiseing for them useing something they havent used since the 50s. I did already contact them to find out if it was still available and in the form of the one I have its not, they do a different version of it every couple of years.
    I think HTML like a web page would probably be best, the ability to zoom in is just a perk as long as the pics are reasonably sized, the big thing is for it to be user friendly so that ANYONE with a computer who can figure out how to turn on the PC and put in the CD should have no problems viewing it regardless of software and so on. Im also not SUPER concerned about the security of it since I view that strugel as a bit futile, if I send them the info on a CD and they realy want to copy or post it then they will figure out how to do it.

9. RightHand

Zooming in to images will require more disk space. Much easier to zoom in with pdf.

10. martywince

martywince Monkey+++

Stick to HTML

Monkeyman, what melbo said was the best. Stick to HTML. It's a proven standard with many clients. PDF is clunky, and the client is owned by Adobe. You would have to distribute the acrobat reader on your CD, which could gum up peoples computers what have you. You would also have to purchase Adobe Acrobat, or Distiller to make the documents, which is not cheap. Just about 99.9999% of people have a web browser on their computer which makes authoring it in HTML a no brainer.

Just compile your guide in word format, instead of saving each page in .doc format, save them in .html or for web. Then create an index page referencing each page with pictures movies what have you. When all said and done is working well and readable and usable on your hard drive, then press it to disk.

11. monkeyman

Yeah thats pretty much the conclusion I came to and been working on it. Looking promiseing to be ready to start distributeing by next month.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7