Progressive insurance opening Big Brother driver watch

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Quigley_Sharps, Feb 8, 2012.

1. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

2. Conagher

Conagher Dark Custom Rider Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I saw that quite a while back.....lame if you ask me.

I don't need big brother knowing if I want to clear the carbon out of my engines once in a while.

3. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have Progressive for my bike - Flo gave me the best rate around, and it has dropped by half since I have been with them.
    I had thought about dropping my van from the lizard and going with Flo for it too, but no way would I hook up this 'tattletale' gizmo! Circumstances arise where I have to 'floor it' every so often - don't need to advertise that nationwide......

I expect this kind of device to eventually be mandated for installation permanently in all new cars...... Big Brother loves his Control Toys.

4. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

It doesn't really record anything that Ford Sync, OnStar, and other vehicle electronics haven't been recording for quite sometime. This device from Progressive has actually been around itself for over 10 years.

5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

True, which is a good reason I would NEVER buy a vehicle so equipped - NO On-Star or other tattlers.

6. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I wouldn't get onstar for the same reason.

7. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

If you've driven anything newer than a 1996, you've driven something that can tattle on you. It's not that sat tracking I worry about, it's the OBDII recording everything the vehicle does. I figure if they're gonna track me they'll do it whether its via onstar or other means.

8. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

That would never work here half these people don't have insuranse and wont have it until the welfare starts to pay for it.

9. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

The difference between OBDII and this is ownership of the data. In most states if you own the vehicle, you own the data and it takes a court order to take it from you.

This data is signed over to Progressive and they can give it to anyone they want and you don't have any right to due process.

Sent using Tapatalk

10. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

It's part of the risk one takes if they want to be part of the program and if they did violate your privacy they'd be in a heap of sheet.

The Progressive Corporation — Snapshot Privacy Statement

Personally I wouldn't sign up for it or agree to it anyways, but what I was saying is this is very little different than the data collection most people don't even realize their vehicle is already doing. I don't care if it takes a court order or not I don't even want the data to exist in the first place.

11. bfayer

bfayer Keeper Of The Faith

And that I agree with 100%.

Sent using Tapatalk

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7