"propagation"?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Tango3, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

I'm not as much of a geek as I thinks I am :

Interweb gurus:
    I 've been putting up a simple website for a friends' local used bike shop.. I've uploaded the 2009 version and his girlfriend( "dial up" I'm sure) still sees the2008 version, I've told him to have her refresh her browser but I'm speeking greek ( geek?).Also his dad( "dial up") .has a nonfunctional version of the 2009 site (call it 2009 1.0 I don't know if his browser just seized up during the intro or its a bad non functioning copy (dynamic html))
    It loads and works just fine here on my two systems ( cable modem) it's been up for a couple of days now.
    Are the old funky copies just stuck in their browsers caches? are there funky copies distributed throughout the inter webs that will clear as caches are refreshed.?
    I'd like to have a good professional answer for him on what gives..

Oh yeah another relative of theirs (daughter)in madison 150miles south has seen and cruised the new 2009 site.
    btw it's www.s-kservice.com
    comments welcome,be gentle...

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Unless it says the new ver can be installed over the old one, chances are they need to uninstall the old ver before the new one can be loaded. But I don't speak geek very well either.

3. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Assuming you didn't change the names of the pages, just updated the code, then you're probably right T3. Have them clear their cache. If, however, you renamed the pages, they may be accessing the older version.

4. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Sure you are! ;)

Try emailing them the link. :)Maybe if they follow it directly, they won't have to hit that nasty old Refresh button.

The site worked really well for me. Nice and clean, not too cluttered. Good job![winkthumb]

The only negative (and this is a personal preference) is that I prefer to be able to go to a sublink (say Used Motorcycles for example) and then search from there, as opposed to the pop up box for it's links because I have a retarded mouse that doesn't always like diagonal moves (like on my way to Collector's Corner up pops the Royal Enfield box).

5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yup, sounds like if they are on dial-up then they are seeing a cached version. Have them clear the cache and see if the problem resolves.

As far as the site goes, pick one color and stick with it. Also a blue background with black text is hard to read. Also, check your site with IE, FF, and any other browser you can find. I found when viewing with IE the menus that poped up from the options on the left were "under" the text on the right (I'll try to get a pic of it tonight)

Dang, If I was closer I'd be looking at some of those used bikes. BTW, I couldn't find any contact information, is it there?

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, "about us" to the right of the site map --
    http://www.s-kservice.com/s-k_current_023.htm

7. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

8. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanks guys for all the replies; I did notice the pop ups got funky under IE. Originally I had them underneath and it looked great on firefox, but was completely unusable in IE ("browser hell"). I started deleting the old files out of the server directory tonight.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7