Propane from big tank to smaller one ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TnAndy, Jan 19, 2006.

1. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

I've got a 100gallon tank at a rental house, full, and I'd like to return it to the propane company. They just ripped me off for 65 bucks to come pick up the one at my house, and I'll be danged if I'm gonna pay that for the one down there.

It would take about 4 of the 100lb ( about 24 gallons ) tanks to hold the propane in the 100 gallon tank.

I know the tanks have a liquid level and then gas above, but if I inverterted the bigger tank, would liquid propane flow into one of the 100lb bottles without the use of a pump ?

I have scales to weight the 100lber's to know when they are full, and I think I can work out the tank fittings.....just need to know if this is do-able....because I'd REALLY like to haul that empty tank back over to the propane company and tell 'em to stick it.

thanks !

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

First you light a smoke.... :shock:

Not sure about the rest. You should be able to fill smaller containers until the pressure dropped in the large one. Maybe just load the large one in the back of a truck and drive away?

You might want to wait for a more expert opinion than this one :D

3. TnAndy

TnAndy Senior Member Founding Member

First you light a smoke...

Nah.....that's how you leak test the lines....ahahahaa

There's a pallet operation down the road....they fill their forktruck tanks from the larger tank in the yard.....I guess I just need to go down and see their setup....pretty sure they don't have pump though, since I don't think they have electric out where the propane tank sits.

4. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

I picked up an adapter for about $20 to refill disposable bottles from the barbeque or larger size... works like a dream.... that's about all the knowledge I have....

5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Oh yeah... don't listen to Melbo.... you light a CIGAR!!!! [beer]

6. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

What bear said. I also have the adapter and that is how you do it. Turn the bigger tank over and the liquid will flow into the smaller bottles. Good luck. By the way, smoke a doobie, give the cops something to talk about!

7. melbo

maybe where a skirt while making the transfer for the above reason... :D

[ROFL]

8. melbo

Andy, I talked to my guy about filling smaller tanks from a larger one.
    Seems that after you have the fittings, you don't need a pump IF you lower the tank to be filled by at least its own size. So a larger tank in the back of a truck can fill the smallers ones by gravity.

Also, the temperature of the 'empty' tank has a lot to do with it as well. The colder the better and this guy used to place the smaller (less than a gallon) bottles in the freezer before they ahem, took some propane to run some heaters in the VW during the 60s.

He said Harbor Freight has the hardware for filling.

9. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I just saw this. I have used propane for years. Heat, cooking, hot water tank etc. Basically whole house. Most common size is the 350 gallon tanks. I always have a "Wet Hose" attachment installed on it. Even the rental companies will put one on your tank for you, they usually sell it to you. With it I can fill any sized bottle from my house tank.
    And you don't need a scale or pump. The pressure in the larger tank will fill the smaller one. You open the bleed off valve and when you get 100% propane coming out you shut off the flow and close the valve.
    I always fill my 30 gallon RV tanks and my 5 gallon tanks for the BBQ grill. There is no need to invert a tank, the liquid propane converts to gas as the tank depletes. The gas is what burns and what you want in your tanks. The larger tank will fill the smaller ones as long as there is more in the big tank than the smaller one.

10. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

As long as you have positive pressure you can fill them I assume.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7