Propane powered refrigerators

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by NotSoSneaky, Apr 7, 2015.

1. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Advice muchly appreciated and will be followed in the coming months.

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just remember MG.... Leaking propane is just like leaking Natural Gas.... An invisible Bomb, just waiting for the right mixture and spark, to DETONATE, like all those NG Explosions back east, lately.... Even I would NOT like to read about a Giant Smoking Hole in the Ground, that used to be YOUR AoO....

Tully Mars likes this.
  3. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

4. BTPost

5. NotSoSneaky

NotSoSneaky former supporter

Compared to propane, kerosene is wicked expensive.

Couple things: 18 cu.ft. (and up to 21 cu.ft.) are available. However when considering how much gas these things eat and the fact the Mrs & I will be downsizing when we move I've convinced her of the blessing of something in the 10 cu.ft. range. Don't really need more than that.

Decades ago I used to work as a construction inspector and have seen first hand the results of gas explosion. Propane can be safe but it's nothing to take lightly. Find leaks now, not later.

Tully Mars likes this.
  6. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Propane, R12,134a,501 etc: or any refrigerant are all heavier than air , meaning it will sink in ditches or displace the air in the ditch / hole low spots. Also when released as a liquid it boils off at -30 c so it turns to gas as it dose this & can burn skin in points of a second.
    SO after all that bad news this is what we need to remember !!! if you get a hard hit of propane / refrigerant or and gas heavier than air , the ONLY way to get it OUT OF YOUR LUNGS is to invert yourself, staircase -feet up , head down the stairs & breath , the gas will flow down & out. You'll feel like you can't catch your breath , you have 3 mins till black-out.

JFI !!

And now back to our regular programming of Girls & Giuls
    Sloth

BTPost likes this.
  7. BTPost

Propane is HEAVIER than Air, and runs across the Ground, seeking the Lowest Spot..... Natural Gas is LIGHTER than Air, and will run across the ceilings, looking for the Highest Spot, or Atmosphere.... Either, when mixed with AIR, at the appropriate ratio, becomes Explosive, and all it takes is a very slight, "Input of Energy" and BOOM you have yourself a LOW Explosive explosion. (think FAE = Fuel/Air Explosive) The only thing left over is a "Smok'en Hole in the Ground" ......

Back in the Day, I used to get PAID, to deconstruct Old Two Story Farm Houses that were out in the middle of Dry Farms in Idaho. I would go out and measure the Total Volume of the Interior, and then Seal Up all the Openings in the Structure, with Visquene, and Duct Tape. the Trigger was Two, separate, Capped, 1/8# PETN Booster Charges, each one taped to the Center Support Post on each Floor, of the Building. Then I would flood the building with Propane, from the Top Floor, down, until I got MY Calculated Ratio of Propane/Air Mix for the REQUIRED Calculated Energy, to just Stretch the Nails, that held the siding on, out about an Inch, from the Wall Studs. Then you stood Off about 100Yds, and Yelled "Fire in the Hole" and tripped the Blasting Machine. If you did your calculations correctly, one could just push the Siding Boards back in, and pull the Nails, and salvage all that "Wonderful Old Wood"..... If not, you ended up with a Whole lot of ToothPicks, and a "Smok'en Hole in the Ground"..... It took me a couple of tries, to get the Calculations, down Pat.... but from then on it, worked well..... and paid my Pocket Money while in College....

8. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I would think the heavy agitation of breathing would dilute the heavier gas each time you take a breath, moving significant portions out of your lungs continually.
    I could be wrong of course.

I have no experience with a kerosene fridge, I was just thinking it's simpler to handle and store than propane. More dense, I mean- propane bottles are cumbersome. As for expense, I think you get more heat from kerosene, so would you not use it slower than propane? Sure gallon for gallon it might be cheaper, but how would it compare at cost-per-day or something where you gauge how it works?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2015
    3cyl and NotSoSneaky like this.
  9. NotSoSneaky

biglaff I swear, sometimes your life resembles a Roadrunner / Wyle E. Coyote cartoon. [tongue]

Idahoser likes this.
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

[​IMG]

NotSoSneaky and Ganado like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

BTPost... You are a fascinating guy and sometimes you scare me a little ;)

I got my beer money in college green breaking horses for the horsey set

NotSoSneaky and Tully Mars like this.
  12. BTPost

I have lived a FULL and varied Life, so far, with many different experiences, over the Decades. Some good, some bad, but all interesting, and I wouldn't change anything, if I could.... I loved buying my supplies from the ACME Company... They made the "Best Stuff".... I enjoy learning the Technology, and the Engineering of things, and there is ALWAYS more to learn, even for an Old Duffer like ME.....

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  13. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

BT I would love to put back a few brews with you

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  14. BTPost

Next time you plan your " Once in a Lifetime Fishing Trip to Alaska" Let me know, and I will fly into town and buy you dinner.....

vonslob and NotSoSneaky like this.
  15. NotSoSneaky

I'll bring refreshments.
    [​IMG]

vonslob, Tully Mars, BTPost and 2 others like this.
  16. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Have been using one for the last 15 years... Works pretty good. Uses little gas. However, it's cooling capacity is dependent on the ambient temperature.. If you like it all warm and cozy inside during the winter, the frig will not work as well.. I keep a couple of bowls full of ice on the top shelf... The freezers are not that large, so, you will not be stuffing any fresh kills in there...Living off grid can leave you few options unless you are willing to spend the money.. One nice thing is they do not break.. Its old technology.. Clean the condenser coils and the heat tube and it will work..

NotSoSneaky likes this.
  17. BTPost

The one I installed in my Beach Cabin, is built into one of the Kitchen's outside Walls... The fridgeFront sticks out about 6" in from the Inside of the Wall, while the Condenser Coils, Heater Tube, and the rest, are outside, the Wall, and Cabin Structure. This keeps the burner exhaust, and condenser in the cool, and outside, while the front access is available from the Kitchen. It burns at a slightly higher Rate, but not significant, in my judgement. The Cabin is built using 2X6 Plates, with 2X4 studs, alternating between the inside and outside Walls, on 12" Centers, with the Air Space filled with 6" of Pink Isulation. Makes for a real tight, and warm, Cabin. The walls we designed to hold a second Story, should we need to expand the Square Footage.

18. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

19. You can get a lot of good stuff from lehmans, kind of expensive but then again quality isn't cheap!!

Seawolf1090 likes this.
  20. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

I looked into both propane and kerosene refrigerators and freezers, I was stopped by one thing...fuel. What good is either when you run out of fuel? I'm currently looking at a high-efficiency electric unit(s) with solar panels and batteries. I also have generators for cloudy days, and could even go with a turbine.
    I read about something called an "Icey Ball", it is a closed system that uses ammonia and any heat source to cool down a small ice box. The technology is about 100 years old, but it will still do the job.

OldDude49 and Gator 45/70 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7