Propane powered refrigerators

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by NotSoSneaky, Apr 7, 2015.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It would be worth the experiment, if one had enough wind to justify it, to build a wind mill that drove a refrigeration compressor.
    Like a battery, water can be frozen as a bank for the refrigeration and thus use excess energy efficiently, or work off the ice till the wind kicks up again. Or a thermally controlled clutch that disengages the compressor at peak settings.
    One may not have to use water/ice for the bank it could be metal or some other element that takes to freezing/thawing well.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Crosley came out with those IcyBalls in the late 1920s and some are still operational today. Not too bad for outdated technology ;)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I have a camper with and electric fridge , and I think it will run off of propane in offgrid scenarios . Question is ,, the fridge freezes everything and I cant find a thermostat , and have been told some of them are preset by the manufacturer ,,, does anyone have any idea how to get the temperature lowered in these things ??

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Gotta think there's an O&M manual somewhere. If you have a make and model, should be fairly easy to find.

5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Thanks Ghrit ,, I just haven't had the time to dig in and find the model number to look it up . To many things going on I guess . Guess I was just looking for the easy way out .

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7