Propogate rose and other woody stem cuttings

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, Apr 24, 2016.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Motomom34 and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  2. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

rose,s are pretty but you can't eat them----got rid of all the pretty things to plant things to eat but will explore if this potato/rose will apply to raspberry bushes

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

I used to think the same way, about pretty vs edible. My mantra had been that If I couldn't eat it, it wasn't worth my effort keeping it. Sometimes things have value that can't be eaten and pooped out to make organic fertiliser.

Some pretty, non edible, and even plants poisonous (to us), have useful niches in edible gardening ecology; as pollinators, predator insect attractants or insect pest repellents, or have some companion planting benefit.

I can't eat Lucerne, but when flowering, it is pretty; it makes a good stock feed and makes great chop and drop mulch. Many plants that seem purely ornamental, often have other useful functions in a self sufficiently productive homestead.

Roses....make for useful defensive plantings, the rosehips of some varieties are a good sauce of vitamin C, and make pleasant tea decoctions, etc. The flowers can be used as an ingredient to make homemade perfumes and cosmetics....and, the blooms, and their scent in the garden are a balm to the psyche. Roses can more than adequately justify a place in the garden, paying their way in their own way, just as importantly as the edibles. :)

Edit: Try the technique with cuttings from cane prunings and see how you go. Let us know whether the experiment was successful.

Home Fruit Growing propagation

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Ganado and kellory like this.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

You cannot underestimate the necessity of a multitude of plant pollinators. Anything you can do to draw plenty of them to the area where you are trying to garden successfully will increase the bounty of fruit you harvest. Flowers serve this niche quite effectively. Many of these flower act to repel harmful pests from your garden as well. A proper low flower garden ringing your vegetable garden will benefit you greatly.

Ganado, Yard Dart, kellory and 3 others like this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Actually rose hips are used in a lot of holistic medicine and wild roses are the best for getting them. They're loaded with vitamin C, more than oranges even. You can eat them raw or cooked, make tea with them, or even jelly. Plus they make hella fence barriers. I have some roses here that died, but the rootstock lived on. The rootstock for most roses you buy is a wild rambler and it'll bloom like mad, giving you tons of rose hips.

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I've got a darn wild rose that rooted next to the front porch.
    I've dug it up 5x over the years and moved it to a more appropriate defensive position on the property.
    It keeps respawning from the roots I didn't get.
    It's like Lazarus.

7. amyp74

amyp74 Monkey

Where I live on the West Coast, the roses are in the peak of their first bloom, and their heady, delicious scent and bright blossoms are everywhere! Soon this lovely, intoxicating event will spread across the country. While roses are pretty to look at and sweet to smell, they also can be delicious to taste. Used in many Middle Eastern and Indian cuisines, roses make sweet, floral preserves and vibrant garnishes. Read on for 12 ways you can use fresh rose petals in the kitchen.

From The Kitchn

From Around the Web

8. amyp74

amyp74 Monkey

I found this article above and thought I'd share. Rose petal jam, I've had and it is really good. :)

9. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

I would rather have a raspberry bramble barrier along the property line good flowers to lure bees ,good berry’s,and the leaves dried make a great tea i have so much wild stuff around me that gives vitamin C so no problem there as I'm a wild food freek

chelloveck likes this.
  10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I was wondering if Propagate was something to do with Obama or Hillary...(n);)

11. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

hehehe. I'd like to put them in dirt --

12. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

G, that probably got you on yet another list.

chelloveck likes this.
  13. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I doubt it would be good for your garden. Much like the Romans would sow salt to make the land of their enemies barren.
    Though you might get more use from them as weed control....:rolleyes:

14. amyp74

amyp74 Monkey

maybe yall can give me some advice. Let me say in advance, that I suck at plants. I WANT to be good at it and have the green thumb I always hear about but, well I can kill a cactus.lol. BUT, I'm trying to teach my grandchildren how we get the food we eat,how its grown and NOT just bought from wal freakin mart! Together we've planted some jalapeno's, onions, tomatoes and strawberries. All in planters because our soil out here is mostly sand and rock. Have any of you tried this and if so, have you had any luck? If any of you have any ideas or suggestions, my ears are open.

1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Mar 11, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Foot hooping
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 2, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jan 28, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Alanaana
    I love Sundays!
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I'm always happier outside!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
  11. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
  14. Alanaana
    Media

Garden

My herb garden loves the rain.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  15. Alanaana
    Somewhere... can you see it?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 24, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Blue_skies

And sunshine
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Nov 20, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Alanaana
    Blossom
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  19. Alanaana
    Tropical flowers
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Oct 22, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  20. Alanaana
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7