Proposal for the Site....... Bitmessage forum

Discussion in 'Bitmessage' started by BTPost, Feb 13, 2014.

Tags:
  1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I got no problems with that.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

But I wonder if any messages received at that 'inbox' would show up if you regenerate on another machine using the same passwd.

3. kckndrgn

We will find out. I've sent a message to @BTPost .

Here is one of my addresses:
    BM-2cXSRDHjDngWJnrNPh4qHESUmnA4PKYJLi

4. kckndrgn

Looks like they have planned ahead for those that want to run from a thumb drive. Copy the executable to the thumb drive, and run it. Go to "Settings", on the "User Interface" tab there is a check box for "Run in Portable Mode". This will store the messages and config files in the same directory as the program.

Attached Files:

5. melbo

I _think_ that they also delete unread messages at some interval to save space although I cannot confirm that. maybe it's a setting.
    Melbo's todo list for this weekend:
    • Install Arch on test box (I 99% guarantee that I'll put this off as it's a pain in the azz. Haven't had Arch installed for 4 years
    • Install Win 7 in VM (Gnome Boxes in Fedora 20)
    • Test BM with any of you that are also testing to include
      • Single messages and replies
      • Broadcast messages and replies

6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just got the ACK back on the return Message @kckndrgn Sorry it took so long, fell asleep in my chair watching the Olympics...

7. melbo

Moving this thread into the open in 10 min unless there is objection.

8. kckndrgn

Wow, the olympics must have been a nail biter! LOL

Got your reply, thanks!

9. kckndrgn

@melbo : i have BM running on my Fedora box!

I will post how I did it shortly.

10. melbo

Please create a new thread. I think I've tried so many things with openssl and libgcrypt mods that I've broken it. Bitcoin-qt will no longer run :(
    Loading Arch on a test box today but would love to stay with Fedora

11. kckndrgn

12. BTPost

@melbo I was looking at my Messages this morning, and I received a message from an UNKNOWN Person, and returned a replay asking who it was. Receiced an Replay that he was just Testing and got my Address off a "Goggle Search"......

So Would it be possible to have the Bit Message forum, or at least the Directory, NOT INDEXED by Outside Outfits? In the Name of OpSEC...

13. kckndrgn

WOW, like there's not enough "auto-reply" BM addresses out there.

From the Wiki here is an auto-reply address:
    BM-orkCbppXWSqPpAxnz6jnfTZ2djb5pJKDb
    and one more from the bitmessage forums:
    BM-omXeTjutKWmYgQJjmoZjAG3u3NmaLEdZK

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

From wiki -
    "Bitmessage is in need of an independent audit to verify its security. If you are a researcher capable of reviewing the source code, please email the lead developer. You will be helping to create a great privacy option for people everywhere!"

15. BTPost

The statement is True, @ghrit However one must look at where this chunk of code came from. BitMessage is an adaptation of the basic Bitcoin Comms Protocol, that is NOW designed, just for P@P Messaging, using the SAME Encryption System, and Transport System, as the Bitcoin World. That protocol has been around much longer, and has been Vetted, extensively, already. What the Wiki Writer is looking for, is someone with Proven Expertise, to VETT the complete Package, as it sits NOW. Looking for Coding Errors, in those sections that were NOT brought over from Bitcoin, as complete subPackages, and for Holes where the two Types of code, interact. Security Holes can, and do, creep in, during the early implementations of ANY System. Just look at how many of Adobe's Products are getting continually Patched for Security Flaws.
    CryptoCat had such an Error introduced in an earlier version, which was found and fixed. This is normal, in the great scheme of Computing. .....

16. melbo

We can make the entire Bitmessage forum invisible to unregistered (and Google) but not that individual thread.
    I would prefer to keep the main BM forum open and indexible but we could create a sub forum of BM called Directory, move that thread there and then lock guests out.

Which would you prefer?

17. melbo

It's a typical request for any high strength crypto applications. It's fully open source so you can review the code in its entirety at git. There is an effort ongoing to audit truecrypt as well - it's never been done in it's 10+ years of use. 3rd party review lends legitimacy to the code.

18. melbo

moved. let me know if that works

19. BTPost

Thanks, works fine...

1. BenP
  2. melbo
  3. melbo
  4. DarkLight
  5. Witch Doctor 01
  6. melbo