Proposed BOB List

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AxesAreBetter, Jun 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Exactly, but it could be weather related, civil insurrection (riot), fire, disease, earthquake, tsunami, flood, or government intrusion.

All would be special circumstances and would alter to some extent the tactics required to effectively get out in the first place. But I've derailed this thread long enough... Lots to consider...Apologies, Axes...

2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I'm basically bugged in for now. BOB serves (us) as a "can't bug in" kit or for camping use.

Dunerunner likes this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

So, you have a designated BOL? How far? How many in the party? Is our pack the only one? We're getting deep here... :rolleyes:

4. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

I've thrived at the deep end of the pool, so we need not discuss the particulars of OPSEC, but what is Y'all's contingency plan when your Sacred BOL is compromised prior to your ETA?
    And how far beyond your failed game plan can you exist to adapt to the ever changing conditions that you really shall face?

AxesAreBetter and Dunerunner like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Everything I need fits in a bedroll, and failing to get to the BOL IS my plan.

Dunerunner and M118LR like this.
  6. M118LR

Just remember that you started this, I'm just playing along like a "Devils Advocate"! But I ain't humping 45 lbs to the tailgate of the pickup nowadays. Damn Skippy. If you really need that much to survive, well I might exclude you from my soft living totally PC clan. I ain't going to be responsible!!!!!!!!!!

Dunerunner and AxesAreBetter like this.
  7. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Think fishing.

Zimmy likes this.
  8. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Then I would be thinking trot lines ;)

Tully Mars likes this.
  9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@M118LR When you see the Site software, underline the acronyms, just click on them and the xplination will be shown...

Tully Mars and M118LR like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Why whiskey? I would prefer 100 proof vodka for medicinal vs. whiskey.

I would also get rid of the stove and pan then replace with a kelly kettle or something like that.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  11. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

If this is a BOB and not a "I may have to Live Off off this Stuff Indefinitely" bag I would lose the water filter and replace with a couple of filter straws. In the SE I would be very tempted to replace the wool blanket with something lighter, although I am a fan of wool. If you keep it lose the ponchos and use the blanket instead. Canteen and cup could be replaced with a bota bag or a collapsible type canteen. Whatever you use to cook with could also serve as a cup when needed. Stove needs to be something that uses fuel you can scrounge-twigs,ect. Lose the yoyo thingys and go with stuff for trot lines. You can be "fishing" while doing other stuff. Not sure about the change of clothes. If the thought is that you may not be dressed in outdoor type clothes when the BOB is needed, then fine pack them. I would change out before I started on my run and leave my other clothes behind. Xtra socks are good, in the SE I don't worry about underwear. Going without is much cooler down here. In your sewing kit have a spool of waxed thread. It's strong as $h!# and will fulfill several uses. Toss in a handful of black zip ties of different sizes. Don't weigh anything and are handy. I would lose the Spam because
    1) I hate the friggin stuff
    2) spam cans are heavy. Add a few more freeze dried meals to the kit and save the weight.
    What manuals?
    Why the gas mask? Again, if the bag is to get to BOL I'd lose it, if long term then maybe ok. How much whiskey and why? If for any other purpose other than drinking I'd use Everclear if store bought my own if not.

Just some of my random thoughts.

Ura-Ki, AxesAreBetter and Motomom34 like this.
  12. M118LR

Any BOB begins with :
    Fighting load components[edit]
    The ALICE system fighting load comprises the following components:

• Belt, Individual Equipment, LC-1 (NSN 8465-00-001-6487-series)
    • Carrier, Entrenching Tool, LC-1 (NSN 8465-00-001-6474)
    • Case, Field First Aid Dressing, LC-1 (NSN 8465-00-935-6814)
    • Case, Small Arms Ammunition, LC-1 (NSN 8465-00-001-6482)
    • Cover, Water Canteen, LC-1 (NSN 8465-00-860-0256)
    • Suspenders, Individual Equipment Belt, LC-1 (NSN 8465-00-001-6471)
    • Butt-pack.
    Belt, Individual Equipment - In 1981 the new Belt, Individual Equipment, LC-2 is introduced with the green plastic quick-release buckle and is assigned the National Stock Number 8465-01-120-0674 (medium) and 8465-01-120-0675 (large).

Case, Field First Aid Dressing - The field first aid dressing case is designed to accommodate either the Dressing, First Aid, Field (NSN 6510-00-159-4883) or (add a second case) the Compass, Magnetic, Unmounted (NSN 6605-00-151-5337).
    Replace the 1 qt plastic canteen with metal 1 qt.
    add a 2 qt plastic canteen with cover and more purification tablets.

Individual Mess Kit.

Military Scout Pocket Survival Tin
    Military Scout Pocket Survival Tin Kit

MK2 Knife & Scabbard.

Guess I'm just 2 Old School Military. Water is more valuable than Gold. If you have to stop to get more, you become to vulnerable. 3 qts is a min. JMHO.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    Motomom34, Ura-Ki and AxesAreBetter like this.
  13. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

It sounds to me that a lot of people think of a BOB as a BOL GHB...I don't see it that way. To me, a BOB is a "refugee bag", I guess, because you do not know if/when you will get to your BOL, or under what circumstances, or what/if is waiting on you if you get there.
    How do y'all run trotlines without boats? I'm very confused about that. The Yoyo's will fish off the bank, require basically no tending, and can occasionally be used with traps...also, I have the bankline in part to make a trotline if circumstances allow.

Personally, I agree that water is gold. Especially in summer. I usually carry a 1qt metal canteen on me, and up to a 4qt in my kit. Ain't worth getting shot to refill it, and heaven forbid you have to stop and boil it 4-8 times a day and drink it that hot. Nope Nope.
    And why no shelter options? Rains can be terrible and life threatening, as well as miserable and bad on kit.

The whiskey is for drinking and medicinals. No reason not to, and I have a back up canteen ready. Exactly what type of whiskey seems to rotate. Haha.

M118LR and Motomom34 like this.
  14. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

[LMAO] Women...

It's to drink. Silly wabbit.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  15. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

In this area of the SE at least, your tarp would do as the basic for any shelter. Your cordage and stuff nature provides will finish it off.

Zimmy, Motomom34, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  16. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Actually Motomom34 has a good thought, High Test vodka is much more pure for medicinal uses, AND its especially good at boosting the effects of pain meds especially the all naturals like M.J. Dandy Lyons, and my fav, Pine Needle tea. as well as Aspen Bark or others that need to be boiled down! Toss a shot in the cup before use and let tea up, and your good to go!

17. M118LR

Whiskey is comforting, but alcohol wipes are lighter. I'll fill my four once flask with bleach, and store it next to the empty gallon ice tea jug in the back pack.

Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  18. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

That is an INCH- I'm Not coming home bag. I think of BOB as being temporarily relocated but maybe never going back, but IMO a BOB is an optimistic bag.

Whiskey for drinking and comfort, wouldn't you be worried about impaired judgement?

Brokor and AxesAreBetter like this.
  19. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Times and places. Honestly, not overmuch, but it is not my load out. His skin if he drinks alone...he makes it to me, I think we can can handle it if we split the issue equally. Haha.

I might post up my latest take on an INCH sometime soon...don't do BOB much. I'm either running light or running heavy, not much on in-betweens. Liking the feedback so far. Always interesting o hear other perspectives on the same issue.

Tully Mars and Dunerunner like this.
  20. M118LR

Why Thank You Motomom34. But I'm not to sure that my judgement shouldn't be worried about unimpaired.

AxesAreBetter and Motomom34 like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Asia-Off-Grid
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: Asia-Off-Grid, Jul 25, 2018, 10 replies, in forum: Humor - Jokes - Games and Diversions
  3. Thunder5Ranch
  4. Motomom34
  5. ED GEiN
  6. medicineman
  7. Oltymer
  8. Imasham
  9. Witch Doctor 01
  10. Legion489
  11. DarkLight
  12. DarkLight
  13. DarkLight
  14. TheJackBull