Psycho killer raccoons terrorize Olympia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ghostrider, Aug 22, 2006.

1. ghostrider

ghostrider Resident Poltergeist Founding Member

Psycho killer raccoons terrorize Olympia <!-- END HEADLINE -->
    <!-- BEGIN STORY BODY -->2 hours, 10 minutes ago

OLYMPIA, Washington - A fierce group of raccoons has killed 10 cats, attacked a small dog and bitten at least one pet owner who had to get rabies shots, residents of Olympia say.
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a == null) document.write("<scr" + "ipt type=text/javascript src=""http://us.js2.yimg.com/us.js.yimg.com/lib/bc/bc_1.7.3.js></scr" + "ipt>");</SCRIPT><SCRIPT type=text/javascript>if (window.yzq_a){yzq_a('p', 'P=1VptIUSOwhXbPCn_ROsinAR1RFqAn0TrOO8AB24e&T=198dumr08%2fX%3d1156266223%2fE%3d89014318%2fR%3dnews%2fK%3d5%2fV%3d1.1%2fW%3d8%2fY%3dYAHOO%2fF%3d1948429564%2fH%3dY2FjaGVoaW50PSJuZXdzIiBjb250ZW50PSJJdDtpdDtXYXNoaW5ndG9uO3JlZnVybF9uZXdzX3lhaG9vX2NvbSIgcmVmdXJsPSJyZWZ1cmxfbmV3c195YWhvb19jb20iIHRvcGljcz0icmVmdXJsX25ld3NfeWFob29fY29tIg--%2fS%3d1%2fJ%3d3FC28E44');yzq_a('a', '&U=139q2fh9d%2fN%3dJJotF9G_RuA-%2fC%3d545485.9119089.9919356.1442997%2fD%3dLREC%2fB%3d3920840');}</SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT>[​IMG]</NOSCRIPT>
    Some have taken to carrying pepper spray to ward off the masked marauders and the woman who was bitten now carries an iron pipe when she goes outside at night.
    "It's a new breed," said Tamara Keeton, who with Kari Hall started a raccoon watch after an emotional neighborhood meeting drew 40 people. "They're urban raccoons, and they're not afraid."
    Tony Benjamins, whose family lost two cats, said he got a big dog — a German Shepherd-Rottweiler mix — to keep the raccoons away.
    One goal of the patrol is to get residents to stop feeding raccoons and to keep pets and pet food indoors.
    Lisann Rolle said she began carrying an iron pipe when she goes outside at night after being bitten by raccoons when she tried to pull three of them off her cat Lucy. She obtained rabies shots afterward as a precaution.
    "I was watching her like a hawk, but she snuck out," Rolle said. "Then I heard this hideous sound — a coyote-type high pitch ... It was vicious. They were focused on ripping her apart."
    The attacks have been especially shocking because raccoons came within five feet (1 1/2 meters) of cats without any problem in previous years, Benjamins said.
    "We used to love the raccoons. They'd have their babies this time of year, and they were so cute. Even though we lived in the city, it was neat to have wildlife around," he said, "but this year, things changed. They went nuts."
    In one case five raccoons tried to carry off a small dog, which managed to survive.
    The attacks, all within a three-block area near the Garfield Nature Trail in Olympia, are highly unusual, said Sean O. Carrell, a problem wildlife coordinator with the state Department of Fish and Wildlife, adding that trappers may be summoned from the U.S. <FORM class=yqin action=http://yq.search.yahoo.com/search method=post> </FORM>Department of Agriculture to remove problem animals.
    "I've never heard a report of 10 cats being killed. It's something were going to have to monitor," Carrell said.
    Meanwhile, residents have hired Tom Brown, a nuisance wildlife control operator from Rochester, Washington, to set traps, but in six weeks he has caught only one raccoon. He and Carrell said raccoons teach their young — and each other — to avoid traps.
    Brown said he had seen packs of raccoons this big but none so into killing.
    "They are in command up there," he said.

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

:lol: [LMAO] [whiteflag] Send them to France, they would have it conquered in a week.

3. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

What the sheeple up there don't seem to realize is that the way they have treated the raccoon is the reason they have become what they are. They feed them the same things they feed there pets, they tolerate them living in their pets space and because they are just miniature bears they become like their big brother, the bear. They have lost their fear. You have a problem animal you eliminate the problem before it gets out of hand.

The section I highlighted in red is the part I laugh at. Raccoon really aren't that smart to teach their young to avoid traps. This Tom Brown, probably not related to the Tom Brown who wrote so many excellent books about outdoor stuff, must not understand trapping as well as he claims to. It's easy to blame the intellect of the critter for your own ignorance. If he's not catching them, he's doing something wrong and needs to look closer at his approach. I speak from experience, I've had animals I thought to be trap wise only to find that it was me that was animal ignorant. Once I figured out my problem, I solved the other.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Solution - a pack of good 'coon dogs and a twelve gauge shotgun. Problem gone within a week. :)

5. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Psycho killer coons? I believe it. I was walking through a seedy part of this great city the other day and a roach tripped me and a rat stole my wallet. :D

6. jim

jim Monkey+++ Founding Member

Sounds like it would be heaven for a Black Mouthed Cur... or a redneck.

jim

7. ricdoug

ricdoug Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7