Puerto Rico, let's converse about SHTF.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by M118LR, Sep 26, 2017.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

A couple CH-64 might be useful, too. Thing for the San Juanese need to consider is that choppers would good to have, but they can't get there on their own (with exception of the few that can refuel in air) And, uv cuss, fuel gets interesting. The mayor of San Juan was weeping all over the news tonight (and she may not be entirely wrong unless she's asking to divert Florida supplies.) That said, I wonder why she singled out Trump to whine at. Why not also Macron, Putin, May, the Dali Lama and maybe the shehun? And others.

It would be pretty easy for a couple LSD (Landing ship dock) to deliver some cats and folded up CH-64s with a few pallets of TP. That said, do we know they aren't already on the way?

3M-TA3 likes this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Open the FEMA camps, Put the Ricoans in there!

Tully Mars likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I suspect they have the East coast Ro-Ro's enroute (once they get reloaded for disaster relief). ;)
    Roll-on/roll-off - Wikipedia

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just saw the San Jaun Mayor on the National News... " We are dying, out here...". REALLY? Tell us just how many people are Dying each day on your Island? Then tell us ALL, Where you spent All that Tax Money, the USA sent you for the last 40 Years? Apparently, you did NOT spend it on Emergency Preparidnesd... Or Stored Water, and Food... or Emergency FUEL, for the Hospitals Backup Genset, that is way to small, to run the place... or Road Clearing equipment, or a thousand other things that would help these Yahoo!'s out of their misery... Inquiring Minds, REALLY want to know....

arleigh, Tully Mars, oldawg and 2 others like this.
  5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

There is no "CH-64". Navy and Marines have the old CH-46 (classic old unreps bird when I was aboard ship), the CH-47 Chinook heavy lifter, the UH-60 Black Hawk.
    Bringing in the Seabees and their construction gear is good but will take time to clear the roads. The helos are critical to get supplies incountry. Same as with prior disasters. So, the amphib helo carriers are the best thing off the bat.

Gator 45/70 and BTPost like this.
  6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

The photos of the myriad of Puerto Ricans out helping clean up the mess, taking things into their own hands to get the island up and running again are posted where?

M118LR likes this.
  8. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Without cell towers all those selfies can't be transmitted. Once Geraldo isn't the only source, perhaps things will be displayed that look more effective? Yesterday he mentioned that all the power generation centers where at 100 % readiness, now all the bankrupted Power company needed was a way to distribute power to anyone. Wonder how many (haven't been employed in years by the bankrupt power company) lineman are lining up to work for the bankrupt power company and attempt to fix these problems without compensation?

Just remember that everything in Puerto Rico is Old and in need of repair, it is not a prosperous Island and there hasn't been enough money invested to fix or upgrade any of the infrastructure in decades. Geraldo recommended that Trump declare a "Marshal Plan" to rebuild Puerto Rico like Europe/Japan after WWII. Wonder how that's going to sit when the Military starts bulldozing Puerto Rican buildings to begin an efficient underground (buried cable) power delivery grid?

Let's think Mil.com. Power stations adjacent to ports, both sea & air. Hospitals next on the grid, then branching to co-located First responder's. Next central Government Buildings. Yup, civilian residences are the "Tail of the Dog" Not to mention that a Mil.com Power & Light establishment would have to be revenue neutral at the least, (probably profitable) so the impoverish population of the Island would be forced to pay the electricity bill or be removed from service. Does anyone believe that Mil.com would would still be supplying electrical service six years after bankruptcy?

COME ON MAN!!!!!!!

BTPost likes this.
  9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

If you noticed, in the background were pallet after pallet of US aid that had already been delivered... it's her incompetence by living in a place likely to be hit by hurricanes and not ensuring that her city was as prepared as could be that is causing unnecessary loss of life. Obviously this was a hundred year event, but I bet there wasn't a single thing they did outside of warning their citizens. Hell, the hospital only had one genset to power one OR. What about ICU and the ER? How much fuel did they have on hand? DId they even test the genset every once in a while to make sure it would run and produce power when needed?
    upload_2017-9-30_17-7-55.

M118LR, Yard Dart and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I lump her along with that contemptible idiot Ray Nagin.
    Useless POS wasted federal funds to beef up infrastructure, then cried for more after Katrina hit.
    She is of the same ilk.
    Rebuilding them will be money flushed rown the toilet. Europe and Japan weren't already on US welfare. They had incentive to better their lot.

Yard Dart likes this.
  11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

All any money is going to do is get put in the pockets of the bureaucrats .
    Democrats and communists love this sort of thing , this is how that get richer.
    I honestly don't expect that any out side help is going to be actually appreciated ,and more likely be abused.
    Corruption breads more curruption no matter how badly the result are found .
    I feel bad for the people being cultured in this mess and then paying the price for the leadership's curruption .
    It's not like no one could see it happening , but I think it is a product of the UN agenda 21 . Reducing the world's population.

12. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Sadly, it seems the shortage of truck drivers is related to UNION negotiations for a contract. The drivers are not working until a contact is signed.

I've never rally had a good opinion of Teamsters, but this is a new low, even for them.

I wonder if Trump will use RICO laws to affect a change of heart.....

1. DKR
  2. Ura-Ki
  3. duane
  4. Seepalaces
  5. Meat
  6. hot diggity
  7. arleigh
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. DKR
  10. oil pan 4
  11. ED GEiN
  12. Motomom34