Purslane

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Ganado, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Common Purslane (Portulaca Oleracea), also known as pigweed, little hogweed, or Ma Chi Xian, is a low growing succulent member of the Portulacaceae family. It is considered an annual herb that grows in almost all corners of the world in various soil conditions. To most, it is a pesky weed that sprouts up between cracks in the sidewalks, in garden beds, open areas in paths.

Purslane is high in omega 3's, easy to grow in many conditions, has a light, slightly salty taste great for use in salads.

Just a Weed, or an Unrecognized Health-Boosting Plant? - Herbs Info

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    vonslob, pearlselby, BlueDuck and 4 others like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This stuff?

That is a pesky weed. I was pulling it up last weekend. Have you eaten it? What about after it flowers?

vonslob and Ganado like this.
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Yes I've eaten it with and without flowers. It's slightly salty. Just add it to greens. I don't care for it in large batches by itself. For eating raw it has lots of great properties.

It's just good to know what 'weeds' you can eat ;)

You can eat nasturtium as well. The blooms and the leaves

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
    Sapper John and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Well if it is good for Ghandi then it is good enough for me.

Ganado and pearlselby like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I was talking to a guy on a gardening site I like and he grows purslane and juices it and cans the juice. Was rather shocking idea that never occurred to me

Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  6. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I have been fighting purslane in my garden for years. I eat it right on the spot while I'm working in the garden. I figure its the price it pays for trespassing.

Ganado likes this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Lol that made me laugh BlueDuck. I wish I could do the same with my neighbors chickens. For now I just clip their wings and throw them back over the fence. He doesn't understand why they can't fly. I just nod and smile

BlueDuck likes this.
  8. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

My grandmother used to sauté it with bacon bits and then pour apple cider vinegar over it.

Ganado and Witch Doctor 01 like this.
  9. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Vonslob that sounds good I will try it. Really unfair cuz bacon makes everything better =)

Dont and vonslob like this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

This guy he uses purslane (and he says any prolific weed) to make a water soluble fertilizer He calls it FPJ (Fermented Plant Juice), he uses 20cc per 5 gallon bucket of water for plant nutrients.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

1. oil pan 4
  2. JC Refuge
  3. JC Refuge
  4. Alanaana
    Ribeye, bay scallops, and mushrooms
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Aug 27, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. JC Refuge
  6. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 29, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  7. Dunerunner
  8. jefferson
  9. jefferson
  10. Motomom34
  11. Dunerunner
  12. Coyote Ridge
  13. ditch witch
  14. Dunerunner
  15. Ganado
  16. JC Refuge
  17. JC Refuge
  18. Coyote Ridge